• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding the higher tow connection to a 2016 223

Steve B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So the 2017 model corrects a design flaw of the 2016 model by placing a tow hook above the swim platform so the rope has a better chance of getting out of the jet wash. The 2016 model has the hook on the metal bar that goes around the swim platform and really weakens the ability to give a decent tow of an inflatable, especially to lighter weight kids.

I asked my dealer to get a hook and install it like what the 2017 model has. The response I got was that "Chaparral highly recommends against doing that, so sorry." Anybody successfully added a similar hook or otherwise looked at the 2017 to see if there really is a difference in the area where the hook is for the 2017 model? I assume that it is the same fiberglass shell and they put a good sized metal plate behind the hook on the other side to reinforce the fiberglass and spread the pull. I find it very difficult to believe that the 2017 fix can't be added to the prior model.
Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So after pushing back, now Chaparral has a plan on what will work and they are sending parts to the dealer. I will let you all know how it turns out in case anyone else with a 2016 model wants to consider a higher tow hook on the back.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sorry about not linking the picture.

Here's my tow hook on my 2016. As you can see, it's above the swim platform. Perhaps it has something to do with the ASP.

Attachments

Steve B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That is what I am trying to get added. It just makes me mad when the first answer is always no, then after push back suddenly there is an option.