• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adjustable Trim and Directional Reverse Bucket Install

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Here is the parts list for the Trim and Reverse bucket install.
All of these parts were for a 2015 FX Waverunner. There are other Waverunners with different Venturi nozzles if you want to match up what is in your boat. I recommend this one for better hole shot.

The bucket shift linkage will have to be moved to the side of the pump. Using the stock location did not allow for enough range of movement in the bucket. 3/4" bit and some 3M 4200... it won't hurt too bad. I used an old bilge fitting to plug the old hole. The mounting point for the shift linkage to the bucket is very important as that controls your range of motion and Neutral position.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54206ad9f87002132cdd7199/jet-unit-1
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54206af4f87002132cdd719b/jet-unit-3

Nozzle: 6BH-R1318-01-00 $88.82
Ring,Trim: 6AN-R1190-00-00 $15.50
Gate, Reverse: 6ET-R1314-01-00 $138.88
Bracket 1: 6ET-R1341-00-00 $11.59
Bracket 2: 6ET-R1342-00-00 $11.82
Nozzle, Deflector: 6S5-R1313-01-00 $23.26 (I used the Dean's Team extended nozzle. Riva also has one.)
Associated bolts, washers and spacers for mounting.
Reversing polarity momentary switch to control trim tab actuator.
8" aluminum stock for trim control bracket.
Trim tab actuator for control, or use a turnbuckle or other fixed/adjustable mount for the trim ring.
Twin engine boats can probably use one actuator to control both trim rings with the right bracket.
https://www.amazon.com/Lenco-15054-001-Actuator-Stroke-101/dp/B001F0GKAS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526047531&sr=8-3&keywords=lenco+actuator

I can't describe just how good this drives now. The low speed wandering is gone, excellent control and speed in reverse, and this is with no fins. It really feels like I added power steering. The wake is much cleaner at surfing speed with the trim down. I love the way the boat feels at speed with the trim up.

I just started using the GoPro and iMovie so the video is pretty basic.

Last edited:

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the parts list for the Trim and Reverse bucket install.
All of these parts were for a 2015 FX Waverunner. There are other Waverunners with different Venturi nozzles if you want to match up what is in your boat. I recommend this one for better hole shot.

The bucket shift linkage will have to be moved to the side of the pump. Using the stock location did not allow for enough range of movement in the bucket. 3/4" bit and some 3M 4200... it won't hurt too bad. I used an old bilge fitting to plug the old hole. The mounting point for the shift linkage to the bucket is very important as that controls your Neutral position.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54206ad9f87002132cdd7199/jet-unit-1
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54206af4f87002132cdd719b/jet-unit-3

Nozzle: 6BH-R1318-01-00 $88.82
Ring,Trim: 6AN-R1190-00-00 $15.50
Gate, Reverse: 6ET-R1314-01-00 $138.88
Bracket 1: 6ET-R1341-00-00 $11.59
Bracket 2: 6ET-R1342-00-00 $11.82
Nozzle, Deflector: 6S5-R1313-01-00 $23.26 (I used the Dean's Team extended nozzle. Riva also has one.)
Associated bolts, washers and spacers for mounting.
Reversing polarity momentary switch to control trim tab actuator.
8" aluminum stock for trim control bracket.
Trim tab actuator for control, or use a turnbuckle or other fixed/adjustable mount for the trim ring.
Twin engine boats can probably use one actuator to control both trim rings with the right bracket.
https://www.amazon.com/Lenco-15054-001-Actuator-Stroke-101/dp/B001F0GKAS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526047531&sr=8-3&keywords=lenco+actuator

I can't describe just how good this drives now. The low speed wandering is gone, excellent control and speed in reverse, and this is with no fins. It really feels like I added power steering. The wake is much cleaner at surfing speed with the trim down. I love the way the boat feels at speed with the trim up.

I just started using the GoPro and iMovie so the video is pretty basic.
Absolutely brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

I find it striking - how many of the parts you found to actually fit.

As far as the actuator, a full size (either short or long) may really be in order here due to the force. I thought maybe one that @rocknracing used in his "automated" Wedge gizmo (Lectrotab? model#?) would suffice (and be easier to fit) - but looking at your set up that may just not be powerful enough. I wonder if you have an opinion?

BTW - the regular (N/A) 1.8 boats' venturi openings are 85mm I believe. Since there is not much one can do for power without the supercharger - that may be it about the best size. Even with the L13.

EDIT - also - great video! Nice quality in 1080p.
Please add more high speed vids!

--

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great vid @SamCF! Thanks for taking the time to explain the install. You da man! :winkingthumbsup"

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Next on the mod list...

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@SamCF, I’d be interested to hear if you’ve found a trim adjustment that Reduced the size of the wake while still allowing good speed.

We’re slalom skiers and the less wake the better.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest I don't know about a smaller wake, but trimming down will eliminate the jet wash in the center of the wake.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SamCF, I’d be interested to hear if you’ve found a trim adjustment that Reduced the size of the wake while still allowing good speed.

We’re slalom skiers and the less wake the better.
So this is very good question, to what extent in these boats trim affects the speed. And - can you reach higher speeds by trimming out?

BTW - here is the kicker:

Considering @SamCF trim basically obviates the need for trim tabs, the cost of those mods amounts to the same thing.

--

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With the simplicity of the install it blows my mind that Yamaha did not include either of these mods when designing their boats.

Now lets see a video with the boat hauling arse trimmed down and throwing it in full reverse.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the simplicity of the install it blows my mind that Yamaha did not include either of these mods when designing their boats.
It's possible that BRP has a patent on their bucket design for use in boats. For Yamaha to use their waverunner bucket on their boats might infringe on that patent.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
It's possible that BRP has a patent on their bucket design for use in boats. For Yamaha to use their waverunner bucket on their boats might infringe on that patent.
My thoughts exactly

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chadt4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is awesome.
Any video of you moving along and adjusting trim while showing your wake?

Know what I'm doing this winter...
Thanks for posting all the info

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is awesome!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I had the thought of trying to figure this out a while back but I never pursued it. The kicker is I just added trim tabs this week and would much rather have done this. This can improve tow sports, rough water cruising, efficiency at different speeds, and perhaps with the right angle improve top end speed. I bet the difference would be much greater on a twin engine boat with regards to the wake for surfing, wake boarding, and tubing. Someone please tell me what parts I need for my boat aside from the actuators and switch for them.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No way. They can always find a way if they want to.
They are just sitting on their (relative) success as far as major design, and just follow some FB-like market trends bs.

Keep in mind - they managed to patent a rudder (AKA "Articulating Keel") and toe-in adjustment of steering nozzles (AKA "SurfPoint") for crying out loud! LOL.

Jet nozzle trim? Has been around before (almost) anyone here has been born.

What's most amazing is - this entire Trim/Steering mod of @SamCF is cobbled together (mostly) out of Yamaha's own OEM parts!

--

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you think the throttle levers from a dual engine could be used on a single engine? The extra throttle lever being to control the trim, vs using the electronic trim tab actuator setup?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you think the throttle levers from a dual engine could be used on a single engine? The extra throttle lever being to control the trim, vs using the electronic trim tab actuator setup?
That's a good idea but A LOT OF WORK, if I was doing it I would probably opt for a gaffrig-style lever system and adjust the APS for better throttle travel (less dead-range) at the same time, something like what @gmtech16450yz did.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A standard trim tab control would work just fine but perhaps the postive and negative for the acuator would have to be reversed. For twin engine boats I would think two actuators would be prefered to be able to adjust for unbalanced load outs and to create to better surf wave.

In all seriousness I may just remove my tabs, fix the fiberglass and do this mod. I need help knowing which parts fit my nozzles. I am fine with doing some light machining.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm wondering if you could do the trim mod without the reverse gate mod. Could you get the correct nozzle (for the 90 degree change in pivot bolts) and then use your same boat deflector on the trim ring? That would be something I'd be interested in trying. You wouldn't get as much up trim that way probably because of the reverse thrust port would get in the way but down trim is more interesting to me anyway. I know others are really excited about the ski reverse gate style but for me I really like the way the boat reverse gates turn intuitively like a prop boat.