• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice needed for keel guard

krokokid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone!
I am seeking advise with keel guards. The local boat store told me that adhesive keel guards won't work for me since I am based in Las Vegas. I guess the adhesive won't work well with the extreme heat here. The store suggested a fiberglass keel guard that they can put on the boat. Costs $150 per foot. Needless to say that that is extremely expensive.
However, the rocky beaches at Lake Mead have already scratched up my boat pretty badly and I don't wanna risk further damage.
Does anyone have experience with adhesive keel guards in extreme temperatures?
I appreciate the help!

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@krokokid I am not sure our heat here in Key West comes remotly close to the desert heat you live in, but with the humidity it will reach a feel 100 degrees. Not sure this will help you much, but I installed my keel guard on my boat last year and it has held great. I didn't have previous damage on my keel because I never beached it on the sand bars out here, but I just followed the directions and some guidance I found on this great forum and it has lasted great so far. Almost every time I go out now, we beach our boat on one of the island's but it is a sand bottom. The best advice I found was after I sanded, cleaned and applied the guard, the big thing was adding the 5200 sealant around the whole guard. I also saw a recent post where advice was given to make sure the exposed fiberglass is covered as that could cause soft spots in the hull. There are plenty of Jet Boaters on here from that area and I'm sure they have valuable input. Enjoy your 2020 AR!

Riveramx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hi everyone!
I am seeking advise with keel guards. The local boat store told me that adhesive keel guards won't work for me since I am based in Las Vegas. I guess the adhesive won't work well with the extreme heat here. The store suggested a fiberglass keel guard that they can put on the boat. Costs $150 per foot. Needless to say that that is extremely expensive.
However, the rocky beaches at Lake Mead have already scratched up my boat pretty badly and I don't wanna risk further damage.
I appreciate the help!
I used truck bed liner coating on mine. inexpensive ( bought a quart ). Easy to put on and can be re-applied.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So cal here with extreme heat and regularly in Havasu with 110 degrees weather, never an issue with keel guard or keel Shield. I’ve had both.

Riveramx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How often do you reapply?
Where I live we have very strong tides of 6 ft or more. The sand bars change position regularly and I like to be close to the beach. I only re apply after inspecting the hull if I see any pieces missing from hitting a sand bar or from scratching the sand by the beach. Otherwise once a season.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi everyone!
I appreciate the help!
Thats Bull. I’m in Lake Havasu, the adhesive keel guards are fine in heat, mead and havasu temps have to be close to the same. What’s leads to them failing is improper installation. I would recommend not beaching, Anchor close to shore and use a shore spike, or even another anchor on shore. The retail cost for fixing rock rash is not cheap, I already paid it once, hence why I don’t beach it anymore unless it is a necessity. I would rather destroy a normal Rubber Keel guard than a fiberglass keel guard. Just my two cents, hop this helps.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Call the mfg of the guard. I'm 100% sure they would warranty it if the adhesive failed. They warranty replaced mine after it got hit! Best warranty around. But hull prep is needed, but not hard. After installing two of these, a good hot day is what it needs to get it to stick properly.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does it protect at all from small rocks, pebbles, stones, shells, etc? Or do you not know since you only do sand?
Once you have installed one of these, you get the feel for how thick it is. Yes, rocks, stones pebbles are not an issue, if they hit the guard. The only reason mine gave way, was we hit a metal cross member on the lift with the full weight of the boat, but it and peeled it back.

Rocks on a shoreline will not do much to it.

Riveramx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Does it protect at all from small rocks, pebbles, stones, shells, etc? Or do you not know since you only do sand?
I am sure it will protect against small stones and pebbles, before you apply scuff area with scouring pad. Clean with alcohol soaked lint free rag. Tape areas you don't want to apply. Follow directions for applying the bed liner. After it cures it should have the same properties of a bed liner in a truck.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Once you have installed one of these, you get the feel for how thick it is. Yes, rocks, stones pebbles are not an issue, if they hit the guard. The only reason mine gave way, was we hit a metal cross member on the lift with the full weight of the boat, but it and peeled it back.

Rocks on a shoreline will not do much to it.
Sorry, I thought you meant the Keelguard or Keelshield

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry, I thought you meant the Keelguard or Keelshield

Can you post a pic of the liner material you used? I have some light scratches to buff out and will get a keel guard or try your method.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@krokokid , sounds like your local boat store is trying to scare you into buying their more expensive product, for about $300 you can buy a 15” keel guard with a lifetime warranty that will get you a new keel guard if the adhesive on it fails.

keel guard honors their warranty, I know from several experiences.

Last edited: