• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice on Yamaha AR 230

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey everyone I'm new to boating and am looking to get my first boat. I have been looking at a 2004 yamaha ar 230. Im just looking for some insight into theses boats anyone who has owned one or knows about them I would love to hear what you thought about them good or bad...I'm looking to just do some wake boarding, tubing things like that nothing to crazy. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about theses boats so I'm just looking for some honest answers any help with this would be great thanks!

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The only mixed reviews I ever hear are from outboard or I/O boat salesmen because the Yamaha is the #1 selling boat in its class and has been for years!

Sounds like the perfect boat for what you seek. The only thing this boat is not GREAT at is as a dedicated Wake Surf boat. You can wake surf behind one, but the wake isnt as shapable and clean as dedicated wake boats (but those will cost you more too).

Add your location to your profile if want local recommendations.....I'm selling mine here in NC!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Awesome man thank you for the advice! I'm not an avid wake boarder so I think anything that can pull me and my friends is more then adequate.

I just had two quick questions; does the maintenance on these boats tend to be more expensive because they are jet boat when compared to a standard outdrive? And this may sound like a dumb question but was the engine on your boat extremely loud? I watched a fewe videos and the engine noise seemed to be almost annoyingly loud it may have just been the audio in the video just wondering if you ever thought it was excessively loud?

Thanks again! I just wanna make sure I get all the info I can before making a purchase much appreciated!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The maintenance on these boats are way less and most of it is do it your self stuff... as far as the noise. ... my boat is a 2008 sx230... both motors turn max rpm of 10200 rpms... so yeah at wide open throttle they can get loud but how often do you actually run wide open. Still even at cruise they are louder than a 3.0 or the 4.3 i/o.... and prob the v8s too... but that's about the only draw back... super reliable.. super easy to maintain. .. I love it..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maintenance costs are much less than out drives.

My annual service costs are $80 and less than an hour of my labor for oil, spark plugs and a few squirts of grease.

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The maintenance on these boats are way less and most of it is do it your self stuff... as far as the noise. ... my boat is a 2008 sx230... both motors turn max rpm of 10200 rpms... so yeah at wide open throttle they can get loud but how often do you actually run wide open. Still even at cruise they are louder than a 3.0 or the 4.3 i/o.... and prob the v8s too... but that's about the only draw back... super reliable.. super easy to maintain. .. I love it..
Thanks man! Good to know!

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Agreed! The a boat that has had the highest maintenance...
The problem is I'm out in California I think he said his was in NC. Thanks for all the info though definitely considering getting one of the ar 230 they seem to be affordable and I love the back "deck" design seems like a very versatile boat

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The back deck is one the most appealing part of these boats! I'd tied up with 2 or 3 other stern drives that friends have, and everyone always gathers around the back of the Yamaha.....it is so much more useable and versatile. You will love it. Your comment about the engine noise is true to an extent....my best advice....get out on one, drive it and you'll be hooked!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think these boats are loud. Not LOUD like my stereo, but loud enough.

For me, when running I have the radio up and the conversation can wait till we stop. But you can easily talk over the engines. The wind noise easily contributes as much as the engines.

Jet boats are super cheap to maintain, easy to work on, and so much fun to drive.

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome super fun boat you will love it go for it

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You guys are definitely convincing! Thanks for all the input really appreciate it!....I'm going to look at the boat next weekend I'll let you guys how it goes

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an '09 AR230 and love it!
I always hear people talk about them being loud, I don't think it's that bad myself. I took a guy for a ride one time that was thinking of buying a Jetboat, we started off and he looked at the tachometers, he said "that's 8000 rpm? That's not nearly as loud as people make it seem". So it's all relative.

Good luck in the boat shopping!

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have an '09 AR230 and love it!
I always hear people talk about them being loud, I don't think it's that bad myself. I took a guy for a ride one time that was thinking of buying a Jetboat, we started off and he looked at the tachometers, he said "that's 8000 rpm? That's not nearly as loud as people make it seem". So it's all relative.

Good luck in the boat shopping!
Thanks man it's awesome to hear from a person who has one and loves it, it's so hard to figure out exactly what kind of boat is right for me since I'm a first time buyer but everything im hearing is pointing to these AR 230s being perfect

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a sx240 and a hurricane deck boat with 5.0l v8 engine I/O I can tell you the Yamaha is significantly louder then my Hurricane but as someone mention its relative in rpm my hurricane only goes up to about 4500 rpm and my Yamaha goes to around 8000 so I would imagine that helps on it being louder. The 04 your looking at I think clears 10k rpm so is still a little louder then mine. If a quite boat is a top priority it may not be what your looking for but on all other aspects it will be great and it is a fun boat a lot more fun then my Hurricane I have not had the hurricane out once yet since picking up the Yamaha.

Zachprerun99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a sx240 and a hurricane deck boat with 5.0l v8 engine I/O I can tell you the Yamaha is significantly louder then my Hurricane but as someone mention its relative in rpm my hurricane only goes up to about 4500 rpm and my Yamaha goes to around 8000 so I would imagine that helps on it being louder. The 04 your looking at I think clears 10k rpm so is still a little louder then mine. If a quite boat is a top priority it may not be what your looking for but on all other aspects it will be great and it is a fun boat a lot more fun then my Hurricane I have not had the hurricane out once yet since picking up the Yamaha.
I guess I don't necessarily need a quite boat I just don't want something so loud it's like uncomfortable to be in.

Last edited: