• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

After tubes????

why_fly_high

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We will have our boat in a week or so. We have a couple tubes already that we used on the inlaws boat and our PWC. My boys are 18 and 15. None of us have ever skied or wakeboarded. What should be get to play on since we already have a tube. We are getting an AR240. Zup seemed like an obvious choice. Anything else? I can't talk the wife in to a Parasail. I thought that was a great idea.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wakeskate.....Like a wakeboard, but without bindings. Hurts less when you crash, but you get less air in general. Like riding a skateboard on the water. Store easy, they're light, and most importantly, they're cheap. I ride a $95 board and enjoy the hell out of it.

Get a decent tow line with a comfy handle as well. Will make getting up, staying up, and the whole experience a little nicer for not a lot more money.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update your profile with your location, you may have members close by that would let you try some items,

I would say check craigslist for a cheap wake board to get started, I don't see many starter surf boards there though,

I would skip the ZUP and ski's, I don't think the bang for the buck will be there for 15 and 18 yr olds, the same with a knee board, although I find slalom skiing is much more fun than dual skiis

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have the boys invite along a friend with a wakeboard and rope. Then they can try it out before making the investment.

Sad to say, many of our generation grew up skiing, but it's days gone past, and the Yamahas are not the best ski boats in the world. ( know some hardcore skiers will flame me for this, but be real, it's not as common anymore, even though we all own a set)

I honestly think many of us tried skiing as our folks talked us into it. Let the kids try what their friends are doing, that way, they will be encouraged to progress and get better, rather than trying to excel at something nobody is doing anymore.

Even without ballast, surfing can be fun, obviously more fun with a proper wake. But still fun to try. A pair of tubes can be a great time behind an AR especially with a bit of wake. Get those ropes to the exact same length, and it's game on. Our girls will not stop tubing till they have rubbed their fingers, knees or forearms raw. Trying different style tubes can be fun as well. We usually tow a pair of 2-3 person tubes with 4 kids, but this last year we towed two single tubes. They can be fun for tricks and rolling over the top of the other tube crossing the wake!

It can add a bit more excitement when you throw one adult on each tube with one kid. They whip is multiplied with more weight on the tube. A sit-down granny tube can be a hoot as well. Most kids get jazzed up when they get the adults mixed in. They get a kick out of seeing us enjoy the end of the rope as much as them.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree, skip the ZUP. We had a similar board and it was fun for one day then nobody wanted to use it. It wasn't great for standing up, the kids preferred wakeboard.

You can get pretty good starter kits for wakeboards that include the bindings. I would suggest that.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg

Your post depresses me, as it shows where our youth are headed as a whole.

Not that skiing is some how the end-all greatest thing in the world, and wakeboarders are the enemy, but it is a step in the evolution of making our children as soft and coddled as possible. No disrespect to wakeboarders (I bought my first wakeboard in ‘92), but it is significantly easier to get up on a wakeboard than a pair of skis, IMHO. My kids must first learn to ski before they’re allowed to wakeboard, and I refuse to buy any sort of tube.

Little Billy 1987: Dad, skiing is hard and I think I don’t want to try anymore.
Dad 1987: If you quit now you’ll quit on everything. Get back out there and try again
—Billy gets up on skis, feels great about accomplishing something on his own, and grows up and cures cancer.

Little Billy 2019: Dad, skiing is hard and I think I don’t want to try anymore.
Dad 2019: That’s ok Billy, how about trying the wakeboard again?
Little Billy 2019: No, that’s hard too.
Mom 2019: Frank, can’t you see that Billy is having a hard time with this, give him a break.
Dad 2019: Ok, how about the tube?
Little Billy 2019: Can we go back home and get my iPad charger?
—Billy turns into a snowflake and lives in Mom and Dad’s basement until 35, but feels good about it.

Maybe I’m a relic of a forgotten time, but my 10-year old daughter slalom-skis and plays the violin (among many other activities).
I don’t give my kids the easy way out of anything, make them do things themselves, and hold them accountable for what they do.

“Our Country won’t go on forever if we stay as soft as we are now. There won’t be an America because some foreign soldiers will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
-Uncle Chesty

Last edited:

why_fly_high

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang. My question turned into the downfall of civilization.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have heard GREAT things about the ZUP on here and other forums even good for older people, not just kids. I'm buying the Do More 2.0 very soon. Search "Zup" here on the forum and read what others have said about to see if it would work for you guys' needs. If you do decide on the Zup, give it a few days before buying I'm working with Nick the owner right now on a jetboaters.net discount code and will post once we get the details hammered out on it.

And, also plus 1 on the wake skate. they seem like fun too and less dangerous and painful than a wakeboard. I'm probably picking up a cheap one of them as well just to have a couple different options on the boat.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wakeskate.....Like a wakeboard, but without bindings. Hurts less when you crash, but you get less air in general. Like riding a skateboard on the water. Store easy, they're light, and most importantly, they're cheap. I ride a $95 board and enjoy the hell out of it.

Get a decent tow line with a comfy handle as well. Will make getting up, staying up, and the whole experience a little nicer for not a lot more money.
Which wakeskate do you have? I'm looking for a cheap one as well right now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which wakeskate do you have? I'm looking for a cheap one as well right now.
I have a HyperLite Stylus. I'm a bigger guy so I have the largest size they make. I think it's a 45cm maybe? I'll have to look.

Looks like a 45cm is the largest -> Hyperlite Stylus Wakeskate 2019 | evo

*edit*
Looks like a good number of reviews around of the wood separating on this model. I've had mine for a few seasons now with no issue. Had the same "value" board for 7 seasons with my last boat (let it go with the boat to make the sale), and it didn't have any issues either.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a HyperLite Stylus. I'm a bigger guy so I have the largest size they make. I think it's a 45cm maybe? I'll have to look.

Looks like a 45cm is the largest -> Hyperlite Stylus Wakeskate 2019 | evo

*edit*
Looks like a good number of reviews around of the wood separating on this model. I've had mine for a few seasons now with no issue. Had the same "value" board for 7 seasons with my last boat (let it go with the boat to make the sale), and it didn't have any issues either.
Ok, cool yeah I was looking at that one yesterday in the biggest size as well. I'm 6'1" and fluctuate between 220 and 235, I was wondering if it would be enough to float my fat ass. lol I saw those reviews and got skeerd, but I'll look at other sites and see how common it is and how their warranty/customer service is in case it does break on me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, cool yeah I was looking at that one yesterday in the biggest size as well. I'm 6'1" and fluctuate between 220 and 235, I was wondering if it would be enough to float my fat ass. lol I saw those reviews and got skeerd, but I'll look at other sites and see how common it is and how their warranty/customer service is in case it does break on me.
I'm 6'2 and run about 225 or so. It's a little squirrely getting up, but once up it's not bad. Usually try to ride around 18mph or so. Little less and it starts being unresponsive and sluggish, any faster and it starts getting twitchy.

I need to get GPS cruise on this boat to really get the speed dialed in. This jet is really hard to maintain a good consistent speed manually. Between the nature of the jet drive, the twitchyness of the throttle, and a less than precise digital speedo, it's a challenge.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
ot that skiing is some how the end-all greatest thing in the world, and wakeboarders are the enemy, but it is a step in the evolution of making our children as soft and coddled as possible.
Have you ever caught an edge while wake boarding? Way more painful than that whimpy water skiing old man BS! LOL

Dang. My question turned into the downfall of civilization.
Yeah....times change....

I would look at playitagain sports and see if you can find some old skiis, wakeboards etc. Try them out. #1 thing...ask the boys what they want to try....its way easier if they are involved in the decision!

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I need to get GPS cruise on this boat to really get the speed dialed in. This jet is really hard to maintain a good consistent speed manually. Between the nature of the jet drive, the twitchyness of the throttle, and a less than precise digital speedo, it's a challenge.
Ridesteady is an amazing tool for these boats, you won’t regret buying one.

If you want to come down to Bloomington sometime this summer I’ll let you play with mine to see if you like it... that and I’d like to see this wakeskate I’ve been hearing so much about.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had 2 2015 or newer Hyperlite wakeskates delaminate (quality was great before then). Received hassle free prompt replacement (through retailer) for first one, haven't requested warranty replacement for second one yet. For that reason I would find a different brand. Don't worry too much about finding the longest one out there, they are actually more fun when shorter (mutch "poppy-er", which is the design intent).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ridesteady is an amazing tool for these boats, you won’t regret buying one.

If you want to come down to Bloomington sometime this summer I’ll let you play with mine to see if you like it... that and I’d like to see this wakeskate I’ve been hearing so much about.
I'm over in Gerogetown, IN......There have been a few talks about having a meetup around Patoka at some point this summer.