• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aftermarket Chartplotter vs Connext

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Do the aftermarket systems like Simrad GO offer much better chart plotting/navigation than the Connext system? I am debating which radio to buy now and if it's worth planning to integrate with a Chartplotter. Haven't had a chance to use one to compare what it does for you compared to the Connext maps.

I'm not big on fishing, so don't care about fishfinder features.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Go with the Simrad or Garmin. Reason being it'll be larger and it's separate from Connext. I like being able to use the touch screen (Connext or Medallion in my case) for "other" things while navigating the waters.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do the aftermarket systems like Simrad GO offer much better chart plotting/navigation than the Connext system?
If all you need is basic map info for safe navigation, the Connext maps can be updated and they have the exact same map data as any chartplotter that uses Navionics software. I did comparisons of my upgraded maps with the Navionics App and they were exact and marked out shallow areas nicely around 8-9ft depths. The chartplotters have more features and are faster responding to input though.
I am debating which radio to buy now and if it's worth planning to integrate with a Chartplotter. Haven't had a chance to use one to compare what it does for you compared to the Connext maps.
If you get one that integrates with a radio, that would be a nice feature that you can control on the chartplotter directly.

And as Dean said above, having a separate map screen and still have the regular Connext screen running at the same time is really nice. In the spring I'm installing a Raymarine Axiom 7 in my dash beside the Connext screen for this reason. And the performance of the chartplotter over the Connext Maps is quite a big difference, update/refresh speed is literally 10x faster, you get more details and control over the display, and you can run the maps "heads up" which means the map rotates as you turn so you always have directly ahead at the top of the screen (this was another really big feature for me). While I got used to a fixed orientation, having it turn in unison with the boat means you don't have to think about directional cues so port/strb are always left/right of the helm.

Granted they're not cheap, but I think they're well worth it. Here's a link to @suke and his install in a 212x basically the same boat as yours - I believe the dash layout is identical?

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I went with the Raymarine Axiom 7. I wanted a dedicated chartplotter with point to point navigation. Connext maps suck balls on our boats. Not sure if the 242x boats are better, but the 212x boats with the smaller screen are garbage, for maps. Slow as donkey balls too. My Raymarine refreshes very fast and tracks very well and point to point navigation is great. I'm also not much of a fisherman so I didn't go with the transducer. Thought I may do a little fishing with my boy this winter, but my boat is at the dealer. At this rate I'll be lucky if I see it before spring. LOL!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to get sidetracked here, but how slow are donkey balls, exactly? Can't say I have ever paid that close attention to them, no less timed them or anything...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not to get sidetracked here, but how slow are donkey balls, exactly? Can't say I have ever paid that close attention to them, no less timed them or anything...
I think it refreshes every 2 seconds and sometimes skips a bit when moving at planing speeds and above. Rotation speed is sluggish too. It's fine for basic navigation or occasional use, but we need a good map for our boating areas as there's a lot of dangerous areas with wrecks in shallow water 20ft deep, rocky areas, etc. We like to explore a fair bit so good charts are important.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think it refreshes every 2 seconds and sometimes skips a bit when moving at planing speeds and above. Rotation speed is sluggish too. It's fine for basic navigation or occasional use, but we need a good map for our boating areas as there's a lot of dangerous areas with wrecks in shallow water 20ft deep, rocky areas, etc. We like to explore a fair bit so good charts are important.
Yup, this! Mine hops all over the place too. Sometimes the arrow is even on land. LOL! I'm like wait WTF, I'm not 100 yards up on shore across the lake. Generally these issues are all noticed while moving at planing speed. Idling around it's totally fine. I was also planning a trip either to the keys or possibly bimini. I needed a chartplotter that I could update regularly and easily to catch shifting dangers. Key west and Bimini are now off the table, BUT may be back on in the future.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
If all you need is basic map info for safe navigation, the Connext maps can be updated and they have the exact same map data as any chartplotter that uses Navionics software. I did comparisons of my upgraded maps with the Navionics App and they were exact and marked out shallow areas nicely around 8-9ft depths. The chartplotters have more features and are faster responding to input though.

If you get one that integrates with a radio, that would be a nice feature that you can control on the chartplotter directly.

And as Dean said above, having a separate map screen and still have the regular Connext screen running at the same time is really nice. In the spring I'm installing a Raymarine Axiom 7 in my dash beside the Connext screen for this reason. And the performance of the chartplotter over the Connext Maps is quite a big difference, update/refresh speed is literally 10x faster, you get more details and control over the display, and you can run the maps "heads up" which means the map rotates as you turn so you always have directly ahead at the top of the screen (this was another really big feature for me). While I got used to a fixed orientation, having it turn in unison with the boat means you don't have to think about directional cues so port/strb are always left/right of the helm.

Granted they're not cheap, but I think they're well worth it. Here's a link to @suke and his install in a 212x basically the same boat as yours - I believe the dash layout is identical?
All good points... thanks for the info. Just curious but how do you update the Connext maps to have the same data as the aftermarket?

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

Why Raymarine vs Simrad or Garmin?

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I went with the Raymarine Axiom 7. I wanted a dedicated chartplotter with point to point navigation. Connext maps suck balls on our boats. Not sure if the 242x boats are better, but the 212x boats with the smaller screen are garbage, for maps. Slow as donkey balls too. My Raymarine refreshes very fast and tracks very well and point to point navigation is great. I'm also not much of a fisherman so I didn't go with the transducer. Thought I may do a little fishing with my boy this winter, but my boat is at the dealer. At this rate I'll be lucky if I see it before spring. LOL!
Your install looks clean, good work. Looking at how you did it, it seems to make sense to have maps right in front of your face instead of the phone. Did you re-mount that phone mount anywhere?

Why did you choose Raymarine over Simrad or Garmin?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have heard many people say the connext plotters were slow and glitchy and also didnt display heads up. Always north up. I got my boat and the display is now made by ennovation not activa. I can say that i dont have any of these issues. The chart displays heads up and the map rotates around just like in your car. It also quite smooth. Prob not as smooth as a dedicated unit but i have had no glitchy movements with it.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your install looks clean, good work. Looking at how you did it, it seems to make sense to have maps right in front of your face instead of the phone. Did you re-mount that phone mount anywhere?

Why did you choose Raymarine over Simrad or Garmin?
Yup, that was the plan to have the maps right there front and center. Also was the best location as far as mounting screws for the dash. I never used that phone mount. So I just tossed it in my parts bin. My phone is either in the cup holder right there by the steering wheel, in the "glove box", or in the little cubby by the throttles.

I chose the raymarine as I like the UI and that it came with navionics maps(the version I bought did anyways). The expandability and accessories was also nice, should I want to add anything. I'm sure others are perfectly fine. After doing some google searching and watching youtube vids I liked it the most.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
All good points... thanks for the info. Just curious but how do you update the Connext maps to have the same data as the aftermarket?
The Connext screens have a microSD card in the back under a rubber cover. You pull the card, create an account on Navionics website, download the charter updater program, and update the data. The data on the Connext cards includes a 1 year subscription once you activate the card:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Why Raymarine vs Simrad or Garmin?
Size and availability...around here it was hard to find a GO5, and the 7" Garmin was too bulky to fit. The Axiom 7 seems to be the largest that will fit without modifications to the dash and surrounding glass. I think all of those brands are good, just had to get what worked for me.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have heard many people say the connext plotters were slow and glitchy and also didnt display heads up. Always north up. I got my boat and the display is now made by ennovation not activa. I can say that i dont have any of these issues. The chart displays heads up and the map rotates around just like in your car. It also quite smooth. Prob not as smooth as a dedicated unit but i have had no glitchy movements with it.
Good to hear the Ennovation models have more horsepower for the maps and other functions. The Actia MFD's lacked the power for their intended use. But a chartplotter beside my screen works just as well.
:D

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes im really glad the new units are able to run better. Only downfall is the updating. No one imcluding yamaha seems to know exactly how to do it. There is no sd card. Only a usb cord to plug a flash drive in. No one can seem to figure out how to get navionics on one or get it to upload to the screen.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes im really glad the new units are able to run better. Only downfall is the updating. No one imcluding yamaha seems to know exactly how to do it. There is no sd card. Only a usb cord to plug a flash drive in. No one can seem to figure out how to get navionics on one or get it to upload to the screen.
It's still new and covid has slowed everything. I'm sure they'll eventually get it sorted out and get you an update.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Did you need to buy this separate kit for flush mount or did everything you need come with the unit?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you need to buy this separate kit for flush mount or did everything you need come with the unit?

I went back and forth as it was super confusing if I needed that or not. Can't remember the exact conclusion that led me to realizing I didn't need that kit. So, no I didn't need that to flush or surface mount mine.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No need for that kit - the plotter comes with a rear covering mount point that converts with longer studs to use the back as a holder plate. I recommend surface mount as the unit is rather heavy and a flush mount means cutting down the plastic dash which may not be strong enough to hold the weight. It probably would, but I prefer to have a solid mounting area as boats take some repetitive pounding over chop - wouldn't want the dash to crack.