• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Air filter experiment - Another K&N filter thread

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
With all the talk of K&N air filters lately I decided to experiment for myself. I'm curious as to how much louder the actually are, and if there is any real world difference in rpm or performance.

I ordered a RU-1470 for the experiment because of price, if I decide to upgrade permanently I'll replace it with a flame arrestor version 59-2010 or 59-2015. I also ordered a push in k&n breather filter to put in the crankcase breather tube.

After removing the stock airbox and installing the new air and breather filters, I fired up the engines 1 at a time with the engine hatch open. Stock engine first, then the k&n filter engine, then back and forth a few times. To my untrained ears, there was a noticeably different tone between the two, but I don't believe the noise level changed much, if at all. I ran them at idle and did a slow increase in rpms up to 4000 rpms. I've got a buddy coming by on Friday with a decibel meter, if he can find it, so I'll know for sure..... fingers crossed.

I did notice that the engine with the k&n had a noticeable fluctuation in rpms (100 rpms or so, tach needle bouncing) versus being steady and smooth like the stock one.

Hopefully, weather permitting, I'll get it on the water Saturday to compare them side by side.

Anyone else notice an rpm fluctuation when ditching the stock airbox for a universal k&n or the power filter kit from Riva?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Alright, I got it on the hose and ran the engines with a decibel meter. All tests were done with the engine hatch open, and about 20-30 seconds each.

Port engine at idle
-stock airbox - Riva filter - no snorkel
Screenshot_20200521-123926_Sound Meter.jpg

Srrbd engine at idle
- K&N clamp on filter and breather filter
Screenshot_20200521-124222_Sound Meter.jpg

Port engine at 4k RPM
-stock airbox - Riva filter - no snorkel
Screenshot_20200521-124017_Sound Meter.jpg

Srrbd engine at 4k RPM
- K&N clamp on filter and breather filter
Screenshot_20200521-124342_Sound Meter.jpg

It's actually quieter without the airbox. 🤯

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
After running on the hose today, the rpm fluctuation didn't seem to be there anymore.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Finally got the drop it in the water today.

Cons:
- No noticeable in noise difference at any rpm.
- No difference in top speed
- No noticeable difference in acceleration - the wife said that the midrange "might have a little more pep, but wasn't a WOW kind of difference"

Pros:
- To maintain a 30mph cruising speed, engine rpm was noticeably lower (@150 rpm less)
- They look cool when you open the engine hatch

Verdict:
If you have twin NA motors...... keep your airbox and the money in your wallet, unless you need some engine pics for Instagram.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now wait a minute. I thought the point of this board was to have us spend money. This post does not comply. I am going to report you to an Admin...

(a fun way of saying thanks for the good and useful report!)

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How is the engine tone different with the K&Ns? Do you consider it a better sound?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
How is the engine tone different with the K&Ns? Do you consider it a better sound?
It seemed a little deeper with the airbox on, but I like the tone now. Feels less droning.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
With all the talk of K&N air filters lately I decided to experiment for myself. I'm curious as to how much louder the actually are, and if there is any real world difference in rpm or performance.

I ordered a RU-1470 for the experiment because of price, if I decide to upgrade permanently I'll replace it with a flame arrestor version 59-2010 or 59-2015. I also ordered a push in k&n breather filter to put in the crankcase breather tube.

After removing the stock airbox and installing the new air and breather filters, I fired up the engines 1 at a time with the engine hatch open. Stock engine first, then the k&n filter engine, then back and forth a few times. To my untrained ears, there was a noticeably different tone between the two, but I don't believe the noise level changed much, if at all. I ran them at idle and did a slow increase in rpms up to 4000 rpms. I've got a buddy coming by on Friday with a decibel meter, if he can find it, so I'll know for sure..... fingers crossed.

I did notice that the engine with the k&n had a noticeable fluctuation in rpms (100 rpms or so, tach needle bouncing) versus being steady and smooth like the stock one.

Hopefully, weather permitting, I'll get it on the water Saturday to compare them side by side.

Anyone else notice an rpm fluctuation when ditching the stock airbox for a universal k&n or the power filter kit from Riva?
Did you end up going with the 59-2010 or the 2015? And what is the difference between the two?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I haven't ordered either yet, still running the non flame arrestor.

The only difference in the 2010 & 2015 is the shape. The 2010 is straight, and the 2015 is a tapered filter.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After running on the hose today, the rpm fluctuation didn't seem to be there anymore.
The rpm’s fluctuating was probably the ECU re calibrating the MAP censor input into the map.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
K&N on a boat?!?

😂 Didn’t realize that was a thing.

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. I see my rpm move slightly also but not sure if it did that before to be honest.
Bro, I’m working on doing the k&n filter can you give me some insight. Is the filter all you need or is there more to it?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only cost effective performance mod for the N/A motors is the ribbon delete. Very noticeable difference on my 240

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only cost effective performance mod for the N/A motors is the ribbon delete. Very noticeable difference on my 240
I don’t think anyone does it for performance. I’m simply doing it to get rid of the stock air box.