• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp and head unit question

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently purchased a Pioneer AVH3800BHS, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD+Receivers/AVH-X3800BHS#specs

I already have one amp and a subwoofer in the boat with 4 speakers inside the cabin and six speakers outside the cabin. I would like to be able to fade and balance all speakers and was wondering do I need to add another amp and if so what would be the best way to wire this in?? Also, would it be better if I just wire the speakers in the cabin directly to head unit and the outside speakers to the amp?? As you can see I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

upload_2017-4-18_12-49-52.png
upload_2017-4-18_12-50-18.png

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thats a lot of speakers with the added complexity of interior and exterior zones. You could use the fader as a zone controller and run the cabin off the front and the deck off the rear. I do recommend another amp. At least with that head unit one should be able to ise there phone in place of a remote control when away from the head unit.

The alternatives are a zone controller like wetsounds makes or a second headunitnsp one for the cabin and one for the deck.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thats a lot of speakers with the added complexity of interior and exterior zones. You could use the fader as a zone controller and run the cabin off the front and the deck off the rear. I do recommend another amp. At least with that head unit one should be able to ise there phone in place of a remote control when away from the head unit.

The alternatives are a zone controller like wetsounds makes or a second headunitnsp one for the cabin and one for the deck.
Hadn't thought about dual head units! Now you have me thinking a little here. When we aren't in the cabin, just turn that unit off. Thanks for the idea!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What bothers me a little is that is not a marine head unit. How well will it stand up to a wet environment ? Car stereos don't typically get wet if it rains or even stay in a real damp area too long. As far as the multi zone problem you can use the wets sounds 420 which is made for just this or just add your own RCA faders like I did.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F67NQAC?psc=1

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What bothers me a little is that is not a marine head unit. How well will it stand up to a wet environment ? Car stereos don't typically get wet if it rains or even stay in a real damp area too long. As far as the multi zone problem you can use the wets sounds 420 which is made for just this or just add your own RCA faders like I did.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F67NQAC?psc=1
I understand your concern about not being a marine unit but this will never get wet as it will be inside our cabin.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:)Ahhh, I'm thinking yamaha boat, no cabin. You can still use the zone controls I posted though.:D

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Done!! And it even works!! :) I ended up keeping all the speakers outside the cabin on the amp and wired the cabin speakers directly to the head unit. Accomplished what I set out to do which was being able to fade and balance the entire system from the head unit. Thought it turned pretty good.20170422_130652.jpg

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thought about adding a USB and MP3 port to the front of instead of using the cord that you see coming over the top.