• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp in battery compartment?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to be adding my first amp this week, and was thinking through the install. Everyone seems to be installing their amps in front of the helm. I'm not sure why?

I had planned to just install the amps kn the battery compartment. That means I can run shorter lengths of power/ground, and just run the RCAs to the helm. What am I missing that makes people not do this? Is there some sort of flaw in my plan?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to be adding my first amp this week, and was thinking through the install. Everyone seems to be installing their amps in front of the helm. I'm not sure why?

I had planned to just install the amps kn the battery compartment. That means I can run shorter lengths of power/ground, and just run the RCAs to the helm. What am I missing that makes people not do this? Is there some sort of flaw in my plan?
RCAs are prone to interference/hum/noise/static if running in the same path along power wires etc., so typically are kept to minimum length, high quality shielded ones are (very) expensive. It can be made to work but may not be worth cost and effort.

--

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
RCAs are prone to interference/hum/noise/static if running in the same path along power wires etc., so typically are kept to minimum length, high quality shielded ones are (very) expensive. It can be made to work but may not be worth cost and effort.

--
I get that, but if the power wires are staying in the battery compartment, that's a non issue.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get that, but if the power wires are staying in the battery compartment, that's a non issue.
Well... You have a wiring harness going into the helm, often times things like blower wires can cause interference, LED lights are notorious, too. But, it can work.

--

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For me, the battery compartment was a non option. Its a rear seat and I use that area for storing other things that are "in and out" often. I mounted mine high up behind the helm, out of the way and it was just a better place that is 'disturbed' less often.

I tapped in to the existing speaker wires, which are also behind the helm. I really only had to run power and ground up to helm, vs running RCA and speaker wires and remote turn on wire. The connection process was a lot easier mounted there.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only wrong place to install an amp is where exposed to environmental conditions not conducive to its operation.

I choose the upper helm because close to my head unit connections, out of the way, best air flow, plenty of space to work with, away from moisture including when I pressure wash, and I can fit in the helm. Lots of folks have experienced ground loop, and interference issues. The ground on the head unit is sub par and a few of us that have large power runs to the helm have connected the head unit ground to those runs solving much of the issue. As already mentioned shielded rcas are a very good idea with inductive load and high frequency can bus wiring in the factory harness.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Can't disagree with any of the advantages to helm locations mentioned above, however all the 242x models come with the amps mounted in the battery compartment...
That said if you mount them under a seat they will inadvertently get wet some how some way so marine grade electronics will last longer!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine mounted under the seats on the other side of the battery compartment. If you do put in the battery compartment make sure you are using good quality marine equipment if not you risk them getting wet and frying not a fun experience. Yes it happened to me.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That said if you mount them under a seat
But so is the HU, correct?

If one wanted a Ws420 or something, that would not be most convenient, I think (?). I installed it to not need to toggle through Connext screens every time I want to adjust volume...
But - it reminded me of my old 190 - with the HU on the other side of the cockpit to the helm... the Ws420 install there was a nightmare.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Correct on the 242x (and perhaps all the Connext boats??) the Head Unit is also under the seat with the batteries.
So yes to incorporate the WS420 EQ mounted at the helm, 4 sets of RCA's plus amp remote wire go from Battery compartment under floor through fuel tank compartment to helm and back.

And double YES I also installed the WS420 so we don't have to toggle through the dam Connext screens every time to adjust volume...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct on the 242x (and perhaps all the Connext boats??) the Head Unit is also under the seat with the batteries.
Must be E-series (?), the AR's HU is in the helm (fortunately). Albeit I could be confused, I think someone said the swim deck remote is actually the HU... lol.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In a dash mounted car stereo you have the headunit which contains the amp/tuner and the faceplate which contains the display and buttons. In the newer fangled cars with ipad like displays the is the amp/tuner module which talks to the fancy display.

Perhaps the best way to convey which component is being discussed is calling them the amp/tuner module and the remote display module. In my 2016 242 LS the amp/tuner portion is behind the helm.

Some folks think that the brains are in the remote display. If that were the case unplugging the remote which some have had to do would render the rest of it useless but instead things continue to work from the connext display. This is because the brains are in the amp/tuner section.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yep totally agree with Mainah, the swim platform is just the Primary remote control for the Amp/tuner module, Connext being secondary remote control unit. I say swim deck control is primary because that is the only place you can access and remove unwanted Bluetooth devices.

I think you're right i recall hearing now it's just the E-series boats (not Connext boats), at least for 2016 that have the amp/tuner module in with the batteries.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep totally agree with Mainah, the swim platform is just the Primary remote control for the Amp/tuner module, Connext being secondary remote control unit. I say swim deck control is primary because that is the only place you can access and remove unwanted Bluetooth devices.

I think you're right i recall hearing now it's just the E-series boats (not Connext boats), at least for 2016 that have the amp/tuner module in with the batteries.
On the bluetooth issue that's what I thought too, but if you tap and hold the unwanted device on the connext screen for 10-15 seconds it will delete.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm able easily change the volume by pressing the media button and using the control knob to adjust the volume...I've heard a few mention this being a pita and using WS420...

What am I missing....couldnt be easier to adjust the volume.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm able easily change the volume by pressing the media button and using the control knob to adjust the volume...I've heard a few mention this being a pita and using WS420...

What am I missing....couldnt be easier to adjust the volume.
Well, you can be already in the media screen with the "cursor" toggling between top screen options... kind of forces you to look
Not a big deal, really, but can be annoying. I also like to adjust volume when coming off plane etc. - I do not like to change screens to adjust volume.
A knob on the WS420 - is always there, always in the same place.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, you can be already in the media screen with the "cursor" toggling between top screen options... kind of forces you to look
Not a big deal, really, but can be annoying. I also like to adjust volume when coming off plane etc. - I do not like to change screens to adjust volume.
A knob on the WS420 - is always there, always in the same place.

--
Not debating the benefits of the ws 420 but as a quick tip always pressing the media button before turning the jog wheel will always adjust the volume for connext 1.0. I personally love the large jog wheel. Pressing media button then turning the jog wheel has become second nature when throttling down during tow sports.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes @Mainah that's what I'm talking about....how much easier can it get than that.

I can change the volume without even having to look down , the jog wheel is super simple. Coming on or off plane.

What am I missing on why others seem to find changing the volume so difficult... press one button and use the jog wheel...granted if you dont know there is a simple way to do it but there is and its easy.

I initially looked at the WS420 for other purposes but didn't understand why it would be a substitute for the volume especially when you use it as a master, wouldn't you need to use the WS420 exclusively for volume vs transom remote or jog wheel?

@Mainah is this only in v1.0 is there newer software available?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes @Mainah that's what I'm talking about....how much easier can it get than that.

I can change the volume without even having to look down , the jog wheel is super simple. Coming on or off plane.

What am I missing on why others seem to find changing the volume so difficult... press one button and use the jog wheel...granted if you dont know there is a simple way to do it but there is and its easy.

I initially looked at the WS420 for other purposes but didn't understand why it would be a substitute for the volume especially when you use it as a master, wouldn't you need to use the WS420 exclusively for volume vs transom remote or jog wheel?

@Mainah is this only in v1.0 is there newer software available?
1.0 indictaing the original hardware and not the new 2.0 hardware with larger screen on some of the 2018+ boats.

Ws420 with BT does have plenty of use case. You can bypass the factory system all together. Also good for the mic, sub, and zone control. I am undecided if I am going to get one when I add another amp and tower speakers. Certainly has it benefits for some. Some folks also like dedicated knobs. Installing one of these won’t really impact amp placement.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
One other point with the x boats (not AR's) when towing wake boarder or surfers the speed, launch, and ballast controls on on a it's own dedicated screen. I've had the WS420 so long I don't recall the exact process, but it was a huge PIA teaching the wife and kids how to constantly flip between launch controls screen and audio volume when I finally got to play behind the boat... Believe me once you have the separate master volume knob, you'll wonder why it didn't come that way...