• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp recomendations

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR240 and I just bought 6 jl mx6.5 and a jl ib 10in sub. Would it be better to go with 2 4 channel amps or go with the jl 800/8? The guys at the car stereo shops recommend going with 2 4 channel amps saying if one goes bad its cheaper to replace 1 4ch. And they dont seem to know about the jl 8 channel amp
Thanks
John

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you wanting to go with a JL Audio amp? There are plenty of good d class amps out there for the money. I am using the polk amps that came with my boat on 6 JL mx650, 1 core 10 wetsounds sound bar and a JL IB sub. Everything sounds great! I am using a polk 4000.4 and a polk 5000.5. On my last boat I even used polk amps because they are a great value and they put out the power. You can see the details in my sig.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I like the idea of a 8 channel for simplicity. 6 channels to your speakers and the last two bridged to the sub.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
$500 for 2 amps or $770 for one....

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Go with the one JL 800/8. I have the same amp and it's a beast. Very efficient too.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestion. I found the jl 800.8 refurbished for $499. With a 2 year warranty. I'll probably go that route to keep it simple but the 2 polk amps do let me add tower speaker in the future.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the clarion xc micro amps? I like the size

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the clarion xc micro amps? I like the size
Yes, the xc1410 is an awesome little guy. It can not be bridged, but is stable at 2 ohms and works GREAT with 4 or 6 Polk DBs - used that way by many forum members here.

I have two XC1410s pushing 10 Polk DB651s. One that is pushing 6 DBs (1 pair at 4 ohms and 2 pairs at 2 ohms) maybe as loud if not louder than the other (which is pushing 2 pairs at 4 ohms).

Those amps are about as simple and efficient as these things get. There are several great write-ups here by members who are using them, I have yet to hear of one failing. I wouldn't use them for larger tower speakers, but for cockpit 6.5" - you may be surprised how well one XC would work with all 6 speakers. If not - the worst case - it will buy you some time before you figure out what you really want/need. That can be an interesting process.

I have learned that expensive does not always equal better for my liking. For example, I have a set of tower WS ICON8s powered by WS amp - that cost about 1.5k for the whole set with clamps etc. Yet, I find myself liking my lowly DBs so much more, I have them usually cranked up and the ICONS de-tuned. But that's just what I found works for us, and I wouldn't know it if I didn't try.

I like the idea of a WS tower-soundbar, too, how @jcyamaharider or @Julian have theirs set up.

--

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@John Mcpartland I don't think you can go wrong with the 800/8. I also have one of those and it gives you a ton of flexibility now and in the future. Plus it will simplify the install with 1 amp vs 2, its does costs more than other setups, but you wont hear anything else bad about the amp....I say go for it.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, the xc1410 is an awesome little guy. It can not be bridged, but is stable at 2 ohms and works GREAT with 4 or 6 Polk DBs - used that way by many forum members here.

I have two XC1410s pushing 10 Polk DB651s. One that is pushing 6 DBs (1 pair at 4 ohms and 2 pairs at 2 ohms) maybe as loud if not louder than the other (which is pushing 2 pairs at 4 ohms).

Those amps are about as simple and efficient as these things get. There are several great write-ups here by members who are using them, I have yet to hear of one failing. I wouldn't use them for larger tower speakers, but for cockpit 6.5" - you may be surprised how well one XC would work with all 6 speakers. If not - the worst case - it will buy you some time before you figure out what you really want/need. That can be an interesting process.

I have learned that expensive does not always equal better for my liking. For example, I have a set of tower WS ICON8s powered by WS amp - that cost about 1.5k for the whole set with clamps etc. Yet, I find myself liking my lowly DBs so much more, I have them usually cranked up and the ICONS de-tuned. But that's just what I found works for us, and I wouldn't know it if I didn't try.

I like the idea of a WS tower-soundbar, too, how @jcyamaharider or @Julian have theirs set up.

--
Thanks for the info, it looks like the xc2410 is the same but it is bridgeable.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestion. I found the jl 800.8 refurbished for $499. With a 2 year warranty. I'll probably go that route to keep it simple but the 2 polk amps do let me add tower speaker in the future.
Who did the refurb? Guaranteed it wasn't by JL Audio and then your stuck if anything goes wrong...

Personally I had the Polk PAD 4000.4 and it was a great amp, puts out over 150W Rms (Actual as the amp is underrated) and I tested it at over 500w bridged, very nice amps.