• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amplifier Mounting Boards

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have almost all components to start my audio upgrade but am having a difficult time finding HDPE marine board for mounting the amplifiers, at least in 3/4" thickness. I am curious what others have used and where it is available. I know some have used wrapped plywood. I like the idea of having the HDPE, but IAC the size I'm looking at (24"x 40") it appears it must be shipped by truck (no UPS). Any suggestions and what did you use? Lastly, would 1/2" HDPE work or will it flex?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you need 3/4 inch thickness?

What about buying some cutting boards and stacking them. You might even glue them together.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so i am an amp install virgin... do i need to install these amos on a board or can i just screw them to the carpet wall as long it wont go through the hull

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can mount your amps to anything you want! Just be aware of what is on the other side of the screw. But a lot of people use mounting boards for many different reasons - maybe they have a few amps and want to be able to quickly pull them for winter storage, maybe they have distribution blocks and other peripherals in their system and assembled it on the workbench prior to mounting in the boat, maybe they didn't want to screw in to their fiberglass, maybe they wanted a true flat surface so they could add spacers to let air flow underneath... All kinds of reasons.

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I mounted my amps on a Teflon cutting board ordered from Amazon. Then mounted the board underneath drivers helm. It was cheap and won't absorb moisture!

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally found Starboard that didn't cost more in shipping than the board itself. I'm still interested in what others have done. I think it would be interesting for others to post pictures of their amp installations, whether on mounting boards or directly into fiberglass. I know @Mainah has a beautiful setup.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok so i am an amp install virgin... do i need to install these amos on a board or can i just screw them to the carpet wall as long it wont go through the hull
You do not need to install on a board. I have multiple amps and want a clean install is all. It's truly your preference

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought starboard (HDPE) from Amazon. I tend to go overboard when I build things but they do last. HDPE will certainly last and I choose 3/4 given the span, mounting method, and I regularly work with 3/4 dimensional lumber when I do woodworking. @Nick Hughes got creative and coated some plywood in flex seal which is not a bad idea and certainly cheaper. I could see myself using Nick HDPE in the future.

If I may say so my amp board is nice but also overkill at the same time as other easier designs would still do the job well. I have edited my post on my install with the qualification that I am able to fit my whole body in the helm. As a point of reference I am 5'10" and was around 190 lbs /33" inch waist when I did that. It was a tight squeeze at the midsection/hips/butt and requires facing the bow to get in then spinning around once in. I don't know how I would have done it if I had not been able to squeeze in there. As another point of reference I just got in there the other day and at 165lbs/31" waist it is much easier. Just keep in mind if you get stuck the help board here won't be able to do much to help you;)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm 6' 260 lbs. the way I got into it was removed everything from the bow storage and went head first ( my submarine move) slid under and got myself positioned. The hardest part was committing myself to do it . To get out I just reversed it . I'm use to getting into tight spaces from crawling around boilers doing inspections .
@SierraWhiskey - I have a left over piece don't know the exact size but your are welcome to have it. I can let you know the size later

Last edited:

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mounted my 3 amps on 1/2" King Star board within the helm control panel by crawling on my back through the bow seat storage. It was a PITA but well worth it... out of sight where they can't be dinged by other stuff. I have pics on here somewhere.
http://www.boatoutfitters.com/king-starboard.html

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm 6' 260 lbs. the way I got into it was removed everything from the bow storage and went head first ( my submarine move) slid under and got myself positioned. The hardest part was committing myself to do it . To get out I just reversed it . I'm use to getting into tight spaces from crawling around boilers doing inspections .
@SierraWhiskey - I have a left over piece don't know the exact size but your are welcome to have it. I can let you know the size later
Nice! I did not think of that. I go though the helm door.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use 3/4 plywood but then paint it with marine paint. The marine paint seals the wood (mostly) and provides a small fire rating. I typically jackson pollock the board with some other color to make it trendy. The cutting board idea is good. Cam.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I mounted my amps on a Teflon cutting board ordered from Amazon. Then mounted the board underneath drivers helm. It was cheap and won't absorb moisture!
That's a good idea as well as less expensive for the same Material!

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use 3/4 plywood but then paint it with marine paint. The marine paint seals the wood (mostly) and provides a small fire rating. I typically jackson pollock the board with some other color to make it trendy. The cutting board idea is good. Cam.
Another good idea and allows some decorative freedom.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's 23.25" by 12"

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No issue with it flexing at 1/2" thick Matt?
No. We are talking about short spans between mounting points and lightweight amps so it will be sturdy. One thing I liked about the cutting board is the edges are rounded off.