• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amplifier power wire

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I bought a kicker px500.1 amp for my sub and a px300.4 for the tower speakers. They call for 8 gauge power cables. I have a jl audio amp installation kit with 6 gauge wire off another project. My question is can I use the 6 gauge wire to a distribution block to the 8 gauge wire running in the amps, or should I run 2 8 gauge wires to the battery?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a kicker px500.1 amp for my sub and a px300.4 for the tower speakers. They call for 8 gauge power cables. I have a jl audio amp installation kit with 6 gauge wire off another project. My question is can I use the 6 gauge wire to a distribution block to the 8 gauge wire running in the amps, or should I run 2 8 gauge wires to the battery?
Yes I'm currently running a Polk amp and a JL amp. The Polk required a 4 gauge and the JL an 8 gauge and I only ran 4 gauge to the power block and it seem to be working just fine.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since you will be running multiple amps of the main wires, I would get atleast 4 gauge. Make sure it's OFC too.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
While on the subject does any know the distance from the battery to the helm? (Routing back across the engine compartment)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20' of wiring gives me plenty of room behind the helm. I think you can get away with 15'.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'd go with at least 4 gauge as a primary and distribute off of that. Make sure you use OFC wire. Knuconceptz make good stuff at a reasonable price point. If you plan to add any accessories or additional amps in the future, you may consider going with 2 gauge or even 0 gauge.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While on the subject does any know the distance from the battery to the helm? (Routing back across the engine compartment)
When I ran mine across the engine compartment I used nearly all of the 25' of wire. I think FloJet may be mistaken or he ran his over the fuel tank.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ran mine and I ordered 25ft I did not go all the way to the helm but stopped just behind the captains chair and I too went through the engine compartment I had probably about 6ft left so I would say 25ft would get you there but I would probably order 27-30 ft just to have extra.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine was ran behind the hatch opening in the engine compartment, but 25' sounds right.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hmm at two 25 foot lengths, I am now tempted to put the amp in the battery compartment and save ~$160 of wire (need 0/1).

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know where those fuel tanks are at? Can I open the hatch like that on a 210?
Yes. It is the large panel of the cockpit floor.
It's just four allen bolts holding it down.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm at two 25 foot lengths, I am now tempted to put the amp in the battery compartment and save ~$160 of wire (need 0/1).
certainly doable, may just need some long RCA cables (amps to the HU).

I seriously doubt you are going to need 0/1 AWG cable, especially if you go with the very high quality KnuKnocks, 4 AWG will be plenty unless you want some monster system or plan to operate a welder at the helm, lol.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
certainly doable, may just need some long RCA cables (amps to the HU).

--
I would keep the RCA wiring short as possible to help avoid rfi interference and all. Noise can be easily introduced into your system with a long run. Try to keep them away from power wiring if you do.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would keep the RCA wiring short as possible to help avoid rfi interference and all. Noise can be easily introduced into your system with a long run. Try to keep them away from power wiring if you do.
I agree! But - everything is a compromise in these boats of ours.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol True

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would be looking at ~200amps, and on that length 0 gauge is definitely needed. I find the RCA interference noise to be a myth with half way quality RCA. I haven't run into that issue in close to a decade (been professionally installing nearly that long). But it also brings up a good point on length of RCA. I am not sure if I can find some RCA that long unless I custom make them.

Hmm... I am bringing the boat to the shop Saturday to run wires for the LEDs, I will get a better idea once I can get back in it, everything seems to turn into a bigger project with the boat lol.