• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amplifier wattage question

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everybody, this may be a dumb question but I'd still like some clarification.

If I have a monoblock amp that puts out 300 watts rms at 2 ohms and I have two 4 ohm subs connected in parallel giving them a 2 ohm load. Would each be getting 300 watts, or would the wattage be divided between the two?
I think I know the answer, but not sure.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The 300 watt 2-ohm rated power will be divided equally by the two identical 4-ohm woofers, so 150 watts each.
Keep in mind that most amplifiers are rated with a 14.4 volt supply, which isn't realistic in your boat. With a 12.6 volt supply that 300 watt rating may be a more realistic 225 watts. And much less power at 12.0 volts.
However, if you are using subwoofers with moderate size voice coils, then they are likely more sensitive and will produce decent output with modest power. Just because a woofer boasts a big thermal power rating doesn't mean that you must power it at that level.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @David Analog. That's kind of what I was thinking but just wanted to know I was on the right track.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you will like two 10's I just finished installing one JL 10 in my 240 with a JL 300 watt mono block class d amp and it sounds great especially when I activate the high pass filter for the interior speakers it really compliments them well. 2 10's would really thump good.

Attachments

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right now I just have one 10" Rockford Fosgate sub to put in with a Kenwood monoblock amp that's 200 watts rms at 4ohms. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. I also have a JBL 4 channel for the cabin speakers. I'm still keeping with my budget ( I'd like to get the high dollar stuff but it's not in the budget ) but it should make a big improvement.