• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anchor locker strut.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The spring for my anchor locker isn't holding anymore and it's quite annoying. Has anyone replaced theirs with a gas strut type?

Thank you!

Just replacing the spring or even a heavier spring is probably easier than adding a gas strut.

I bought a 9 Inch spring at Lowes that was thicker than the original and it works way better and consistently...

I bought a 9 Inch spring at Lowes that was thicker than the original and it works way better and consistently...

Is it stainless steel?

Pretty sure it is zinc plated

The spring for my anchor locker isn't holding anymore and it's quite annoying. Has anyone replaced theirs with a gas strut type?

Thank you!
I replaced my rear ones with nitrogen filled dampers and found it much better, I went to the manufacturer and had to take a minimum of 6 pieces so if you check your total length I'm sure i will have ones to fit and you can have one FOC if you want to pay the postage from Thailand as i have some spare ones not used.

I'm pretty sure you can get the springs in ss at West Marine, not positive however. Here is what is claimed to be heavy duty...
http://www.jmsonline.net/hatch-spri...gle_shopping&gclid=CIn-1t_u8MMCFQKTaQod2poA1w
And this is probably the one we have installed on the boats now...
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Hatch-Lift-Spring-Stainless-Steel
I think you could reposition the existing or replacement just a tad, to over center the hatch a little more, that will probably prevent the premature closing when you don't want it.:nailbiting: Premature anything ain't good, right?;)

Premature anything ain't good, right?;)

You are absolutely right. :)

As for the spring, I will be swapping it out with a new one with Phil Dills. I might just use it for the glove box. As for the locker, I'm going to try to find a better solution when the weather gets better. The spring was always a problem, especially on windy days. My hands didn't feel too good when the hatch fell it on a few times.

I want one for the glove box as well! I also want a damn latch that has enough surface to grab so you can open the thing! It needs a finger tab!

The spring I used is thicker than the original and does not accidentally close on my hand like the original. I simply cut off the original and took it to lowes and found one of similar length. My original was bent and stopped working, the new one has the benefit that I can actually open the door beyond 90 degrees to access things if I like.

If I recall those springs have a thin steel cable running inside them to work as a stop. I know this cause the weight of my trolling mtr bracket cause my to snap. I replaced it and added an extra cable to stop the door from opening too far.

They do have that however the replacement does not and I like the functionality of it more. It is nice to open beyond the 90 point sometimes.

Back