• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor Rope

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a Yamaha SX210 and I need to add a 2nd anchor and need both anchor ropes. Currently I only have one in the bow and it only has about 20ft of rope on it. It is not very thick and I think it’s the hollow type. It very rough.

I’d like to make it longer and maybe add a 2nd anchor for the back of the boat. What type of rope and thickness do you guys recommend? I am freshwater only.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got the boat last fall but I am guessing that under 50 feet will suffice. I would guess 20ft will be deep for most of the time. My anchor does not have a chain. The anchor I have is not very heavy and if I get a 2nd one it won’t be either.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just fyi the general rule of thumb is to have about 5 times the amount of rope on your anchor as the water depth. So unless your boating in 4-5 ft of water all the time, 20 ft isn't going to do. I would go with 100ft on a spool from Amazon of decent quality rope.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
What crob said and you will need chain on your anchor. 6ft min of 5/16” chain. Typical scooe is 5:1-7:1 depending on conditions. 3/8-1/2” anchor line will be fine.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You don’t go by the average depth you’ll be in, figure it by the deepest you might encounter. Main anchor should have 100’ of 1/2”. I have a second just for beaches with probably 20’, but I have another 100’ on a spool stored in case I ever need it. I always buy the twisted nylon because I like to braid the loops on the ends.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about the rope material? I see all these different ones like solid braid, hollow, etc. Any type to look for or to stay away from?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As shown above, 3-strand nylon is the right rope for your anchor line. Also add at least 6' of 1/4" to 5/16" galv chain. Although 5/16" may be a little big for your boat.
Also do not forget to seize all of your shackle pins, so you do not leave your anchor/chain on the bottom one day. There are 3 methods mentioned in this article. I would skip past the locktite and the zip ties and go directly to the s.s. seizing (monel) wire. Some people will use the locktite and the zip ties, but I do not trust either one.

The nylon 3-strand on our Beneteau is spliced to the 5/16" G4 chain for ease of running thru the windlass. The chain is connected to the anchor with a shackle. You can see the pin is seized.

20200807_194622.jpg

Here is another thread on this topic.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am using the Solid Braid MFP Anchor Line they offer 3/8" or 1/2". It has a nice eyelet and floats which is nice since you can keep a thimble on it and I like to keep an eye on the rope so it won't get sucked up into the jets. I have the High Visibility color of Green so I can always see it. The rope is smooth and flexible and water runs off it very nicely. Using 100' for front and I have a 50' for the back.

Amazon.com: Extreme Max 3006.2657 BoatTector Solid Braid MFP Anchor Line with Thimble - 3/8" x 100', Neon Green: Automotive

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all.

I am planning to buy a 100' for my front anchor and will hold off on a rear anchor for now. I will probably go for 3/8" because 1/2" is very thick and I just store it in the bow cabinet.

As for the material, what is the bad thing about the poly or what is the advantage of the nylon? Is it just a strength thing?

The chain is also something I am unsure about. I am assuming the chain is to avoid fraying of the rope on stuff from the bottom. I don't know how often I will use the anchor in a place that I will be at high risk of that. My anchor is pretty light, like as in maybe 10lbs if I am guessing. It was in the boat when I bought it. I really do not see me anchoring in any kind of rough water. My boat will be used in a few lakes and rivers in my region. If the water is really rough, I will not likely try to anchor, unless of course if something is wrong and I need to I guess. I was assuming the chain was for more heavy duty applications, plus like I said I store it in that bow storage so there isn't a ton of room in there as I recall.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
An anchor must have a chain. They really dont work well without it. The chain holds the shank of the anchor down to the bottom. The shank need to be parallel with the bottom. Lifting the shank is what releases the anchor. With no chain, the boat tugs the anchor, the shank lifts and you drag. The longer the chain the better. 6ft min of 5/16” chain is what you need. You can use 1/4” but its lighter so you should prob get 10’ if going that route.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think you've mentioned what type of anchor you have. Most anchors do require chain to work well as stated above by @mrcleanr6. Some anchors like the box anchor do not.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Those cheap slip ring type anchors really don't hold well. Concept is great but your boat is worth more. Pick up a Danforth type anchor. Recommended size I use for the back and the next size up for the front. The 6' of chain is to weigh the anchor bar down so blades of the anchor can dig into the bottom. I always purchased white nylon anchor line but have switched to black as I hate the rust color from the galvanized chain (that is not supposed to rust but eventually does). My chain is plastic coated as to not rust nor scratch the boat when retrieving the anchor. Keep in mind you added weight so pulling everything in will be heavier. Tying a fender to the back anchor when set it good to warn others. Good luck!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think you've mentioned what type of anchor you have. Most anchors do require chain to work well as stated above by @mrcleanr6. Some anchors like the box anchor do not.
This was the real answer. I was searching this thread as well for the type of anchor. As chain is truly required with many anchors to get them to set. But not needed with a box anchor, I agree.

We do not have rocky conditions where we are at, so fraying the rope is a non issue. And we don't need the weight to set a box anchor, it sets great without it and hold better than any anchor I have ever owned. (for our conditions, YMMV)

As for type of rope, just imagine how the rope will feel slipping through your grasp, and you will realize real quick why we use a softer rope. Strength is going to be there with many ropes of this thickness. But ease on the hands is where it's at for me.

I giggle at my buddies buying mushroom anchors and 20ft of line that resembles recycled plastic milk bottles. They are hated by anyone anchored around them. The only guy hating on me for having 5x the depth of line off my bow is the one letting his kids clothesline themselves on my anchor rope. Don't be that guy either.

Rear anchors are usually multi-purpose. If we are rear anchored, it needs to be enough to minimize swing, that's the goal. It may also anchor a waverunner, or a float pad, or a pair of ski tubes for the kids to play on, well away from the adults (smile)

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My current anchor is apparently a danforth type, since I just looked at photos of it lol.

I will look into a chain.

What about the rope mentioned above: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G8GDD9B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would that be a good rope? I see it is not nylon but the reviews make it sound like its pretty good. I will look for nylon specifically also to see some options. I see all kinds of writing about the texture, elasticity, strength, etc. I just want to get something that will work, be safe, and not break the bank. I am now planning to get the front anchor attached properly and then consider getting a reach anchor later.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
My current anchor is apparently a danforth type, since I just looked at photos of it lol.

What about the rope mentioned above: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G8GDD9B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would that be a good rope? I see it is not nylon but the reviews make it sound like its pretty good. I will look for nylon specifically also to see some options. I see all kinds of writing about the texture, elasticity, strength, etc. I just want to get something that will work, be safe, and not break the bank. I am now planning to get the front anchor attached properly and then consider getting a reach anchor later.
Oh brother. You definitely need a chain on a danforth. The chain also assists in keep the anchor positioned properly. The weight of the chain keeps it on the bottom whereas a rope will always be pulling up on the anchor. I am actually surprised your anchor didn't automatically come with one.

Another helpful life hack: Mark you anchor line in lengths of your choosing. For example, every 25'. Then you'll easily know how much line to toss. 10 feet of water? go out to the 2nd mark for a 5:1 ratio. :)

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had one of these as my second anchor for years: Slide Anchor
I use this on the bow when I am at a sandbar or beach and use the normal anchor off the stern. Most of the places get crowded and you can't let your boat swing. I also never beach my boat so this help keep it right where you want it as the tide changes.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

The rope you are considering is polypropylene. The problem with that type of rope is if you ever have to cut it, it will not sink. It floats which can then create a danger for swimmers. Nylon sinks.