• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anodes

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hi.. I have been using my boat on a fresh water lake so far, but I planning on taking it to the sea. Can anyone tell me what precautions you need to take when using it in sea water? I thought i had read that you need to fit anodes, but i havent seen any documentation on it. Thanks for any help on that or any other tips.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hi.. I have been using my boat on a fresh water lake so far, but I planning on taking it to the sea. Can anyone tell me what precautions you need to take when using it in sea water? I thought i had read that you need to fit anodes, but i havent seen any documentation on it. Thanks for any help on that or any other tips.
Sorry.. i forgot to say that the boat is a Chapparal 223VR with 150hp non supercharged engines

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you're day tripping in salt water and loading it onto the trailer at the end of each day, then you don't need to worry about your anodes. If you were going to slip the boat overnight at a salt water marina, then you'd need to worry about it. Pretty much all boats/outboards come from the factory with the proper zinc anodes for salt water use. Anodes aren't really necessary for freshwater use, unless there's rogue electrical currents in the water at a marina, which will eat through anodes and props in a matter of weeks or months. If you really want to buy some, I found this site helpful when I was buying for our houseboat. http://www.boatzincs.com/ Buy magnesium for freshwater, if your boat is stored in the water at a marina.

Aside from anodes, even for day boating in saltwater, I've seen others on here that use some wax spray from a can that coats all the aluminum/metal drive pieces of boat that'll protect it from the salt. I've never used this stuff and can't remember what it's called, but the post I saw was from the last week, so it's searchable.

As usual, be sure to flush the engines ASAP once the boat is pulled from the water. Lots of guys like to find a freshwater lake to run their boat in once they're done with the salt.

Good luck!

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thank you so much for such a comprahensive response .. Thats the great value of this forum.
Do you, or anyone, know where the anodes are located on a Chapparal Vortex? I cant see them.
I will be leaving the boat in the water for about a week so salt water anodes will definitely be required
Thanks again