• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another amp question

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR240 and a friend gave me 4 new KM65 speakers to replace the stock ones. I also just picked up 2 JL 8.8 speakers which will be mounted mid cabin. The shop is suggesting 2 JL MX500/4 amps. I was looking at the JL M800/8. Both would adequately power the speakers but I lack the knowledge to figure out if 1 amp is better than 2 in regards to battery drain and performance. Im open to other suggestions for amplifiers too. Willing to spend the money for quality equipment.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Either route will work, but ask yourself if you plan to expand in the future or if you think after an amp, you'll be happy. Neither route will be ideal if you plan to ever add a subwoofer. It can be done, and it will "work",but not that great. If you never plan to do the sub, maybe go with the 800/8. That way, you run one power wire with no extra cost in wire and distribution. You can bridge 4 of the channels to run the 8.8's. They will be a bit overpowered, but if tuned correctly, you'll have no issue. The other 4 channels can handle the Kicker speakers in 4 ohm.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either route will work, but ask yourself if you plan to expand in the future or if you think after an amp, you'll be happy. Neither route will be ideal if you plan to ever add a subwoofer. It can be done, and it will "work",but not that great. If you never plan to do the sub, maybe go with the 800/8. That way, you run one power wire with no extra cost in wire and distribution. You can bridge 4 of the channels to run the 8.8's. They will be a bit overpowered, but if tuned correctly, you'll have no issue. The other 4 channels can handle the Kicker speakers in 4 ohm.

At this point I don't really have any desire for a sub. Just want to hear my music while going above 15mph. I may add tower speakers at a later date when my kids get old enough to surf or wake board. Thanks for the info. I'll probably just get the 800/8 and call it done for now.