• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Disappointment with the Scarab Jet Boat and REC Boat Holdings

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have shared with you fellow Jet Boaters some of the A** Pain that I have been going through with my 2014 Scarab 195 HOI. This is a quick rundown of my issues with my boat:

First, I was told a locking nut came off my impellar (there isn't one) That happened at 4 hours on the engine. Then when the first engine failed (at 14 hours), I was told that the drive shaft got pushed into the main bearing (which was a result of the first problem) which failed. Then after the new engine install the Tech didn't tighten the engine mount properly nor didn't align the drive shaft properly which caused uneven wear on the carbon seal (this was at 24 hours on engine #2). Carbon seal and several other parts were replaced, they told me the boat was sea tested (which I am questioning) and then I have a catastrophic failure of the closed coolant system (at 24 hours engine #2).

I called REC boat Holdings today and talked with Mike Stefani, Product Service Representative Rec Boat Holdings, LLC, who I plead my dis-satisfaction to regarding the MAJOR issues I have been having with the boat. He told me, "I am sorry Joe, but this isn't a factory issue. You need to go back to the dealer who did your engine replacement. WTF! I bought a Scarab Jet Boat with their warranty and now he is telling me that "I" have to go back to the dealer to get this resolved!? I now live in Florida and the dealer is in Pennsylvania. I am at the point where I really think I need to talk with an attorney about this issue. 20160723_122920.jpg

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Reserved...... To date I have been running my 195 HOI on the ICW near Fort Walton and she is running superbly. I did have an issue where the boat wouldn't turn over and found that it was a bad relay. You guys/gals should be buying a few to have on hand..

Last edited:

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is it just me or REC Boats Holding should have picked up the phone, call the dealer and tell him he is making the whole brand looks like shit.

I dont understand why they are leaving this situation going this way.

"I am sorry but.." yeah right..

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really, really, want to like Scarab (love their appearance) and the rest of the rotax manufacturers but man these threads are disappointing. I'm certainly not saying Yamaha is without their own issues and failures because they certainly have plenty to work on, however it just doesn't seem to be as frequent as some of these other other brands. Is it no longer under warranty? Can you not take it to another dealer close by if it is still under warranty?

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So REC Boat holdings is sayin they won't cover this under warranty with another dealer near you due to the previous dealer / tech negligence !?
I'm thinkin that's not your problem, thats between that said dealer and the manufacturer!
Sucks to hear stories like this , I'm sorry for ya !
We pay a lot of money for our boats for fun / enjoyment and shouldn't deal with that BS !
You may wanna contact the state attorney general's office before you pay for a private attorney .

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OP, check lemon laws in your state. You may well have a claim already. Reference from a quick Google search: https://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0a92a6dc28e76ae58525700a005d0d53/edc932d547172a5685257408005de3b6!OpenDocument

Note that you can amp up pressure on either REC Holdings or the dealer by mentioning you will go to the FL Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division. http://myfloridalegal.com/consumer

This will certainly get more attention than the BBB or similar. Calling an attorney is another route, but you are already paying for the Attorney General's office.

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Contact b.r.p. this problem is on them initially as there is a nylock nut on the back side of the impeller under the impeller cover. I have had ano issue on one at work where it was never tightened at the factory. It backed off and destroyed the entire jet pump Assy. The rest of the issues are due to poor techs. That aren't properly trained. I have personally seen brp really try to help out customers. It can't hurt. The number should be in your owners manual.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Contact b.r.p. this problem is on them initially as there is a nylock nut on the back side of the impeller under the impeller cover. I have had ano issue on one at work where it was never tightened at the factory. It backed off and destroyed the entire jet pump Assy. The rest of the issues are due to poor techs. That aren't properly trained. I have personally seen brp really try to help out customers. It can't hurt. The number should be in your owners manual.
Great first post! WELCOME ABOARD, @Scarabtech

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear of your problems with your boat. Switching dealers with a boat with this many failures and problems is tough. You even say that the "tech" made mistakes and that they didn't sea test it. So not sure how this is the manufacturers problem....but it would be nice if the dealer would stand behind their factory warrantied service departments!!!

Then after the new engine install the Tech didn't tighten the engine mount properly nor didn't align the drive shaft properly which caused uneven wear on the carbon seal (this was at 24 hours on engine #2). Carbon seal and several other parts were replaced, they told me the boat was sea tested (which I am questioning) and then I have a catastrophic failure of the closed coolant system (at 24 hours engine #2).
I think I'd call BRP again and give them one last chance, then go to the AG office and see what they say...but you might need to go to the PA one first.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Price point dictates quality of craftsmanship...not saying that it's the way things SHOULD be, but that is the way things are...emphatically with boats.

As the old adage says regarding boats and sales price:

"Poney up the $ now and cry once about it, or save the $ and cry all the time later"
These are $50k boats, do you honestly think that at that price point you can't purchase a quality product?

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Price point dictates quality of craftsmanship...not saying that it's the way things SHOULD be, but that is the way things are...emphatically with boats.

As the old adage says regarding boats and sales price:

"Poney up the $ now and cry once about it, or save the $ and cry all the time later"
?
What does that have to do with dealer tech negligence ?

Last edited:

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have to understand that in the marine industry that boat warranty and engine warranty are different. When there is a problem with the engine/drive train the boat manufactures will tell you to contact your local service center as it is now a brp problem. The problem sounds like the service center failed at their end. The issue is he contacted the boat manufacture instead of the engine manufacturer

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You have to understand that in the marine industry that boat warranty and engine warranty are different. When there is a problem with the engine/drive train the boat manufactures will tell you to contact your local service center as it is now a brp problem. The problem sounds like the service center failed at their end. The issue is he contacted the boat manufacture instead of the engine manufacturer
" the issue is he contacted the boat manufacturer " ? Well I'd say in this scenario it's the up to manufacturer to do a little PR work and handle it period ! If they don't then it only gives more fuel to the Yamaha marketing team .

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you read my post correctly I did not say a $50K boat shouldn't be quality or that quality shouldn't be expected.

And, $50K in the larger view of the boating world is very much on the "budget" end of the spectrum.

And a 19ft scarab is not $50K. $35K ish range is more accurate.
As I asked before what does your statement have to do with dealer tech negligence?
By the way 50 grand is accurate for a new 195 HOI

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll bow out of this banter as I can tell it will have no end. Everything I said was 100% inaccurate and everyone else is 100% correct.
You are correct that you should the boat manufacturer step up and help in this situation but unfortunately that's not what happens in the industry. Yes Yamaha is both the boat manufacturer and the engine manufacturer on several lines. I personally have not delt with them on their boat lines I have heard a lot ofor the same issues from customers on the boat side. As far as their outboards I have to say you can't beat them for quality.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One more point for Yamaha, they manufacture the hull and the engines. I love the way scarabs look but the too many horror stories about them, their dealerships and corporate in general. The only way I'd own one is if someone gives it to me as a gift and I'd flip it ASAP "as is" without taking it to the water.

To balance this a little Yamaha really dropped the ball when it came to the faulty / leaking oil coolers in the early 1.8 liter engines. If they were under warranty they were covered, if they weren't the owner was on his or her own.

Thankfully I have not read about any major issues with the Chapparal or Glastron jet boat lines, yet, and I hope that continues indefinitely.

Does anyone remember why Seadoo stopped making boats?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm confused........ I've got nearly 17 years of marine warranty service experience on boats from $15k to $5 million. Every last boat manufacturer's dealer took care of every engine and drivetrain problem regardless of fault. They resolved the issues with engines just as they did for components installed on the boat such as stereo, pumps, lights......well every damn part in the boat.

So what makes Scarab different than my experiences?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct! Don't believe the hype. Think of it this way.....

If you buy a Scion FRS, it has a Subaru engine. If in the future you have engine issues, are they going to send you to Subaru to honor the engine warranty? Nope Toyota takes care of it. Same as Jaguars with Ford engines, or Chevrolet with Isuzu engines.

The check written was for a Scarab boat. They put the engine/hull package together, and should honor their contractual responsibility to their customers. They should be the ones going after the shitty dealer network that they went to bed with. I dont give a shit what the "marine industry" is like. They took the same dollar bills as the automotive.

I'm confused........ I've got nearly 17 years of marine warranty service experience on boats from $15k to $5 million. Every last boat manufacturer's dealer took care of every engine and drivetrain problem regardless of fault. They resolved the issues with engines just as they did for components installed on the boat such as stereo, pumps, lights......well every damn part in the boat.

So what makes Scarab different than my experiences?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You are correct that you should the boat manufacturer step up and help in this situation but unfortunately that's not what happens in the industry. Yes Yamaha is both the boat manufacturer and the engine manufacturer on several lines. I personally have not delt with them on their boat lines I have heard a lot ofor the same issues from customers on the boat side. As far as their outboards I have to say you can't beat them for quality.

I have been on the phone with Tom at MarineMax Pensacola. He told me to get the boat back to them for an evaluation. He said that he showed the picture to his Tech and the Tech said he never touched that area. He said if the engine was replaced it was probably a slow failure of the install. Just like the engine mount and shaft alignment...

@Scarabtech has hit the nail on the head. Why should the consumer chase down the people pointing fingers. Get off your A** and do your J.O.B. I am ready to unload this lemon and I want someone in the orgy of Rec Boat Holdings to take if off my hands. Give me a new boat or write me a check...