• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another new 2008 AR 230 Owner

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are picking up a "new to us" 2008 AR 230 this week, it was a one owner boat with us being the second.

I have built and raced cars for years and now I turn my OCDness to this boat...I have acquired the YDS ECU platform and have it installed on my laptop and I want to get the following:
  • Vacuum pump for oil
  • Oil Filter/Oil for both engines
  • Spark plugs for both engines
  • Water hose interconnect so I can "dry run" the motors on the trailer
  • rebuild kits for the surge brakes on the trailer
  • Depth finder (it is dead)
Locating the "kits" online for the Vacuum Pump/Oil/Filer - they only have three quarts of oil for the motors each? I intend to drain the crank case as well to get all of the oil out to start with totally fresh oil...where do you get a "kit" that contains enough oil to do this?

Are there any other modifications that I should look at for the boat that improve steering? I have looked at all of the end links closely and they are in good shape but I bet that there have to have been improvements in this area over time. I have done a lot of jet ski riding and am familiar with "you need throttle to steer" but any suggestions for helping steering around docks and on/off trailer would be welcomed.

The trailer also does not have "guide posts" on the back of it to let you know that you are roughly centered on the trailer before actually getting the boat on the trailer...I find this odd.

thanks in advance for advice and help.

Cap'n Kirk

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations!!!

Do the cleanout plugs pull out easy? If not, buy some rebuild kits for them.
For the steering, if there are no fins on it you can either go with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC or Thrust Vectors from https://jetboatpilot.com/

I use Wix filters and Mobil 1 oil in my engines. I also do the complete oil drain when servicing. There are plenty of things to learn about our boats that can found in the FAQ area of the forum. https://jetboaters.net/faq/

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
be sure to check your scupper valve and consider a high water alarm in your engine bay,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and include your location in your profile so we know where you're boating

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't think to add location - squared away now.

Those "shark fins" are pretty pricey for a couple slabs of aluminum - I have done a lot of design work and it pains me to pay $900 for $50 worth of material...but BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand...

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Post pics when you get it!! Buy a nice GPS with transducer and just replace the depth finder!

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Post pics when you get it!! Buy a nice GPS with transducer and just replace the depth finder!
Will do that after we get it cleaned up!

Do you have a recommendation for a GPS unit? The radio doesn't work either, so 1st thing will be looking to see if it is something like a blown fuse.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I assume your radio switch is on when you try the radio as well?

I really like my hummingbird helix 5 but i do wish I had a 7in screen instead of 5. Pretty easy to use and fairly decent for the money. If you look on this forum there are tons of people who have mounted many different types of GPS/Fish finders and have given their review on them!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Luck, Awesome boat! Not that you asked, but consider mine another vote for the campaign to suggest you install a High Water alarm and added bilge power. Makes your worst day a slightly crappy day instead of a "sunk the boat " day.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok - after hearing a second on the motion for added alarm and bilge pump, here's my remedy:

12vtechnology Waterproof 12 Volt 115db Super Loud Sound Flashing Buzzing Horn Flashing LEDs Sump Pump Bilge Emergency Marine #AL6 - 1ea
Attwood 4202-7 Float Switch, For Bilge Pump, 12- and 24-V CE rated, 36-Inch Wire, 4 ¼ Inches L x 3 7/8 Inches W x 1 3/8 Inches H - 1ea
Attwood 4606-7 Tsunami T500 Bilge Pump, 500 GPH, 12-Volt, Barbed ¾-Inch Diameter Outlet, 29-Inch Wire - 2ea

I liked the idea of having a visual/audible alarm that I can get up on the Instrument Panel combined with the redundancy of two pumps, in case one fails.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it has rained and there is water in the hull, it's possible and expected to trip the alarm as you come into plane and the water slushes back. Hopefully that super loud horn does not give heart attacks :)

I have a high pitched alarm that is not overly loud, and Im already freaking out when I hear it.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think we are all ready for the maiden voyage today!

Found out that the previous owner had changed the battery before we got it, and guess what? They forgot to hook up the ground wires to the battery for all the gauges, lights, etc. Now I have all lights, horn, blower, bilge and radio working. I found this out as I decided to read the terminal voltage on the battery to assess the state of charge...d'oh...

Rewired the trailer, added LED guide posts and repacked all of the trailer bearings.

New depth finder is installed, swim ladder cleaned and new retaining strap installed, oil changed and full of fuel. Cleaned/lubed all of the control cables and pivot points. Connected YDS and scanned sensors (all working) and logged hours (right @ 250 ea.).

Anything else before venturing out in about 5 hours?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only a recommendation, Make sure you engage the clean out plugs fully and really well. Really try to yank on them to make sure they are fully set. If you don't have EZ-Locks yet, they are a worthwhile investment.

Go Slowly near the dock, don't approach any faster than the speed you are willing to crash at. Easy does it.

Most Important Have fun!!! Don't sweat the small stuff, stay calm.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks - I have practiced inserting and removing the clean out plugs successfully many times while it is on the trailer and inspected the seal rings to look for drying, cracks and nicks. Don't have the EX-Locks yet, they arrive next Wednesday along with some LED interior and exterior lighting that I will need to get wired up.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget the drain plug
Had not checked that - just removed, inspected and reinstalled that plug. I had pulled and checked the Scupper but had neglected that (LED light to replace it doesn't show up until next week and it slipped my mind just to check it as I thought I would have replaced it by now).

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, successful 1st outing...flawless 3 hours of cruising and got a single top end run with just myself in the boat and GPS clocked it at 46 MPH on flat water with about a 10 MPH headwind.

Only "awe shit" moment was when we went to get the boat out of the water. After backing the trailer in the lake I went to walk to the dock and see one of the bunks floating away? Got in the boat and snagged the bunk and redocked. Pulled the trailer out and all of the screws were gone that held the bunk on...so a quick lashing with a couple of ratchet tie downs front and rear on the bunk and then backed in a bit deeper and walked the boat onto the trailer.

Ended without issue but now I need to figure out how to lift the boat off the trailer in the driveway to put on new bunks as the others were showing their wear too.