• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Another stiff steering question

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The past two weekends I have been prepping and upgrading the boat for the season. Today I sat at the helm and for no particular reason tried to turn the steering wheel. It was stuck! Applied a little pressure and it started moving but not as it did last year. Did troubleshooting and determined it was the starboard steering cable with the issue. I have no idea why it's suddenly stiff and searched this group only to find it appears to be a common issue. My question is there any safety concern or do I have to just use a little more effort to turn? Plan on replacing the cables at some point just don't want to do it right now.

I do not think they will free up. In fact when that happened to my 2007 SX 230, they eventually locked up. No choice but to replace them then. When I installed new ones, I covered entire knuckle with threaded nut where it emerges from transom with flexible sealant to inhibit salt corrosion.

The past two weekends I have been prepping and upgrading the boat for the season. Today I sat at the helm and for no particular reason tried to turn the steering wheel. It was stuck! Applied a little pressure and it started moving but not as it did last year. Did troubleshooting and determined it was the starboard steering cable with the issue. I have no idea why it's suddenly stiff and searched this group only to find it appears to be a common issue. My question is there any safety concern or do I have to just use a little more effort to turn? Plan on replacing the cables at some point just don't want to do it right now.

Have this same issue and about 60 miles north of you, on a 2018 242... im looking for the thread on cleaning the oil in them.. Ill post here if i can locate it.

I hope that is something that can be done, but I'm looking into replacements.

Here are a couple pics of what
I did after installing new cables. Sealed on both sides of transom.Sealing cables It has worked so far. All the same, I hope y'all can free them up.

@watdog I got a marine sealant at Home Depot in the paint department.
To explain a bit: Inside that flexible joint covered with the marine type sealant is a cable-to-rod connection. That is where mine finally jammed after attempting to free it up with lubricant. I cut it open and it was rusted in place. Even stainless steel has some iron in it, so when saltwater enters these joints from the pressure of the swirling water, they probably never really dry out. Also, It doesn't help if the cables are not exercised on a regular basis.

Replacement parts at least for the 242 is 400+ im going to try this solution and see if it works

I did force oil into it and it worked out about 80% of the stiffness. Found it is leaking around a boot where it goes through the transom.
@watdog I got a marine sealant at Home Depot in the paint department.
To explain a bit: Inside that flexible joint covered with the marine type sealant is a cable-to-rod connection. That is where mine finally jammed after attempting to free it up with lubricant. I cut it open and it was rusted in place. Even stainless steel has some iron in it, so when saltwater enters these joints from the pressure of the swirling water, they probably never really dry out. Also, It doesn't help if the cables are not exercised on a regular basis.
Thanks. I think that is where my problem is also.

@WREKS when you replaced the cable, is it the whole assembly, or can i just replace one cable?

@VaMarine On my 2007 I replaced them one at time.

Yours is a whole assembly. You cannot replace a single cable.

Thanks! I was able to find an SBT one for replacement. as Yahamas parts back order is too long a wait.

Back