• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Antifreeze - Freeze Versus Burst Protection

Nivekot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those that run antifreeze through your engine cooling system(s), do you buy antifreeze based on the burst or freeze temperature? I know West Marine carries antifreeze labeled as (-50°F, -60°F, -100°F, etc.), which is the burst temperature, but actual freeze temps are much higher. For example, the West Marine -50 has a burst rating of -50F, but freeze rating of +12° to +16°F. I’m in northern Ohio, will this (West Marine -50) be okay as winter temps can fall in the single digits or slightly below 0F??

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in N. Illinois with temps reaching -20 or colder and have not used any antifreeze. These boats just need the waterboxes blown out at the end of the season, cleanout plugs pulled, all drain plugs removed and that's about it for protection against the freezing temps.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As Babin pointed out, those of us that live up here where it gets cold, only buy as much antifreeze as we care to dump in our driveway. As that is where the majority of it will end up immediately.

Some say it's piece of mind, some say waste of money. Do what makes you feel good, knowing it really won't matter at all.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A picture from my pole building. An AR210, 242LS, Yamaha 150 Outboard, and 2 Yamaha GP1300R's sitting in -20 or colder laughing at southern folk putting anti-freeze in their engines. Sorry, they get a bit snarky when it's cold out. I have no control over their poor attitudes.

shop.png

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When its -40 C outside here in Quebec Canada I sleep really well having run 6 gallons of Winter Ban -100F Burst protection through each engine , I won't risk a cracked block or two for that matter, cheap insurance $150 .ZzZzZzzZzz :winkingthumbsup" P.S. It also has corrosion inhibitors , bonus !

Last edited: