• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

any garage door opener experts or vaguely-knowledgable guessers

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20180127_105917.jpg 20180127_105936.jpg

any advice is appreciated,
Accessmaster 1/3hp garage door opener, 12 years old,

otherwise seemed to be working fine,

the chain sprocket sheared off the top of the motor unit

Worth fixing or just buy a new unit ?

A quick google search and looks like the part is only about $20. but not sure about the difficulty in changing it. I don't mind giving it a try but don't want to waste my time or money,

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just went through this with a GENIE. They wound up sending me a new unit under warranty. The drive shaft is not coming directly out of the electric motor that powers the door unit up and down. Instead there is a "transmission" consisting of a worm gear and a 50-54 tooth gear driving the door. That's what attaches to that drive shaft. In my GENIE unit, this piece (drive shaft off the transmission) is not user replaceable but was easy enough to get to with the unit removed. If it looks remotely like the pieces I have in my old unit, you're welcome to them. Send me a PM with a picture if you take it down and open it up. for $20 it might be worth a shot repairing it. You can always re sell the part on ebay.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to buy the replacement part, it's only about $25.

I was able to take it apart today (while still attached to the ceiling) and the shaft pulled out easily (youtube is GREAT!)

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas They say, "things happen in threes" Isn't that your second sheared sprocket this year. What is going on down there? Hopefully next is not something in the water.;)

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was hoping this would be a thread about a Genie Excellerator II that has a mind of its own and how to fix it. Mine has multiple personality disorder and sometimes creeps up and down at a snails pace and then other times hauls major ass which trips my breaker. Sometimes it will trip my breaker if going slow too. We stopped using it and now just manually lift and open which sucks as mine is a double car width single door.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure you put the grease on the gears on the inside when you swap it out , it will make it happy

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 8 year old liftmaster has decided to intermittently respond to remotes....really annoying!
Did you add anything in the garage when it started happening ? Led lights , new shop lights or anything ? Thous cause havoc on the receivers on those year ops

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was hoping this would be a thread about a Genie Excellerator II that has a mind of its own and how to fix it. Mine has multiple personality disorder and sometimes creeps up and down at a snails pace and then other times hauls major ass which trips my breaker. Sometimes it will trip my breaker if going slow too. We stopped using it and now just manually lift and open which sucks as mine is a double car width single door.
Man I'd get a new op , the genie excellerator are hard on doors when they fly open (especially pan door's ) liftmaster is the best brand in my opinion

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man I'd get a new op , the genie excellerator are hard on doors when they fly open (especially pan door's ) liftmaster is the best brand in my opinion
Can I just buy a lift master motor or does it require a whole new track and everything? I've never installed one. I need to fix this as we want to put the house up for sale at some point and this is on the list of must fixes. I had to get a new spring about 3 years ago as the old one snapped. Sounded like an shotgun went off in my garage when it broke :D

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash , Genie offers a 10 year warranty on their motors. Still in the window?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@njmr2fan unfortunately not :(. I'm sure it's the original as the home was built in 2000 and we bought it in 2006.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently bit the bullet on new doors and openers including professional install. Mine were 20 years old and showing age. My old doors actually had cardboard inside and brackets were bending and ripping out. It has been VERY nice and worth the modernization. Doors come with all new tracks and springs/torsion bars. I went with Ammar Oak Summit and new Liftmasters (they even have WiFi now) and are MUCH quieter. Even with one 9x8 and an 18x8 it was cheaper than I thought; but it paid big to get multiple quotes. I also learned the opener quality/performance is better from the pros like a single piece rail on the opener. The ones at the box stores cut the rail into multiple pieces so you can get it home in your car. You can see in the pic they also installed extra braces on each door panel for my 18’er to prevent sagging when open. The old door did that.
F3298C64-8016-4D9E-99FD-F701BAB0E05D.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think my high school buddy who has a garage door service company quoted me like $1500 to replace everything. Not sure if that was a deal or not.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think my high school buddy who has a garage door service company quoted me like $1500 to replace everything. Not sure if that was a deal or not.
That's a good price ,

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you add anything in the garage when it started happening ? Led lights , new shop lights or anything ? Thous cause havoc on the receivers on those year ops
Huh....interesting question....I might have put in an LED bulb in the opener....wouldn't have though that would cause it issues....off to replace that bulb and see what happens....

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh....interesting question....I might have put in an LED bulb in the opener....wouldn't have though that would cause it issues....off to replace that bulb and see what happens....
Hmmm, let us know if it changes anything.
Mine stopped working with the original door remotes, my wife’s built-in remote in her van works fine on it....I did put an LED bulb in it though.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmm, let us know if it changes anything.
Mine stopped working with the original door remotes, my wife’s built-in remote in her van works fine on it....I did put an LED bulb in it though.
Mine has been intermittent on the built in car remotes and the factory ones. Time will tell!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me know it could be something different but when ever a cust has issues , that's the first thing I try and %75 that is the issue but some times it's a very challenging Thing to figure out what is causing the interference

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Let me know it could be something different but when ever a cust has issues , that's the first thing I try and %75 that is the issue but some times it's a very challenging Thing to figure out what is causing the interference
One test this morning and the car remote worked fine.....I'm guardedly optimistic!