• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any of yall in the Louisville Ky area and surrounding?

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, My wife and I purchased a 2020 SX190 recently and have been planning trips to new lakes for the Summer. Any of yall from Ky? It would be a blast to meet up with some fellow boaters and hit some new waters that we haven't seen!

Dmb240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are about an hour west of you in Indiana. Patoka lake area.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm in Sellersburg, Indiana (just across the bridge from L'ville) and we go to Patoka lake and the Ohio river.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley here. Hair over 3 hours from you.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in Sellersburg, Indiana (just across the bridge from L'ville) and we go to Patoka lake and the Ohio river.
Hi Scott, could you give me some pointers on where a good place to launch to boat on the Ohio near Louisville? My wife would like to see the skyline from the water sometime. Also are there restaurants etc that can be docked up at? I was looking on the map and I'm unsure where to find launches, preferably outside of the metro area but with easy access to visit the waterfront etc

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hi Scott, could you give me some pointers on where a good place to launch to boat on the Ohio near Louisville? My wife would like to see the skyline from the water sometime. Also are there restaurants etc that can be docked up at? I was looking on the map and I'm unsure where to find launches, preferably outside of the metro area but with easy access to visit the waterfront etc
Cox's Park Carrie Gaulbert Cox Park is a good place to put in on the Ohio river. Captains Quarters is a good place to eat. You dock and order from your boat and they will bring it out to you. Cunningham's is right behind Captains Quarters and you can do the same there. I hope this helps out.

Scott

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in Georgetown, IN. Been talk a few times of setting up a group meet at Patoka, but it hasn't materialized yet.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in Georgetown, IN. Been talk a few times of setting up a group meet at Patoka, but it hasn't materialized yet.
I'll be at Patoka Lake with my wife weekend of July 11th. My Aunt and Uncle have a Houseboat at Patoka Marina. We have never been there and booked a room at the Lodge there near a winery or something like that. We have never been there. Any cool sites to see on the lake, cliffs, waterfalls, party coves, etc?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, the cove up near the dam is usually a pretty good time. So is "eagles cove", we're usually in that part of the lake. Overall the lake is pretty shallow, and the water is down this year already.

1591145743187.png

Be aware you'll need an Indiana DNR launch permit. I think it's like $40, maybe $30. DNR will cite you if you don't have it, but it's good for a year, and good anywhere in the state of Indiana. You can get one as you go into the park to the marina/ramp.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea, the cove up near the dam is usually a pretty good time. So is "eagles cove", we're usually in that part of the lake. Overall the lake is pretty shallow, and the water is down this year already.

View attachment 121303

Be aware you'll need an Indiana DNR launch permit. I think it's like $40, maybe $30. DNR will cite you if you don't have it, but it's good for a year, and good anywhere in the state of Indiana. You can get one as you go into the park to the marina/ramp.
How’s the vegetation is there a lot of grasses etc? Also I assume shallow areas are bouied for no water sports? Stumps in the shallow area or flats? Thanks for the heads up on the map for sure

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Vegetation is non-existent. Zero issues there. I haven't clogged a pump on Patoka in 4 seasons.

The water is down, and the shallow areas are pretty well marked with bouys. That area just south and west of the upper watersports area is VERY shallow (like 12-14in), and isn't super well marked. Watch out for that one. The rest are pretty obvious.

Those places I have marked for watersports are the "best" spots IMO. The majority of the lake is available for watersports, but the waves make it mostly not comfortable, or ideal. Those two areas marked are a shade deeper, and less populated for whatever reason, and tend to work out well for wakeboarding/surfing/skating.

Yea, once it gets shallow or "sticky" the no ski bouys are put up, and I think they're well placed.

Be aware, on a busy weekend the water gets choppy, same if it gets windy. In general Patoka is pretty shallow and pretty wide. Once the waves kick up, it's hard to get them calmed back down. Not at all like the lakes in KY that are very deep, but pretty narrow, and the waves go away quickly.

Keep in mind, the water was down when I was up there 10days ago or so. You can easily fit under the bridges. If you ever get there with the water higher than normal, then you can't get under the bridge. Normal summer pool, I have to drop my tower, and then clear the bridge by inches over my windshield, so we don't go under often.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm up in Indy, never been to Patoka. Might have to venture down that way here sometime soon

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll add to what @Scott was saying about ramps. Cox's park is public, free and convenient to downtown but it is right on the river and the current and waves can be an issue. I've seen boats lifted up from the waves and actually dropped off onto the ramp. I busted my prop on my previous boat there and decided not to go there any more. (That's just me though.)Scott mentioned Captains Quarters. That's where I put in. $10 on weekdays and $15 on weekends, but there's no current or waves to deal with. Both Captains Quarters and Cunninghams are in that finger. Maybe put in there, go see the skyline, come back and eat. Once you go downtown, there are plenty of places to eat and bars on the Indiana side too to check out. Just be careful which side of the slip you tie up on depending on the current. Also, regarding lakes, look into Nolin Lake.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

View attachment 121303

Is there a day use or weekend pass?

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll add to what @Scott was saying about ramps. Cox's park is public, free and convenient to downtown but it is right on the river and the current and waves can be an issue. I've seen boats lifted up from the waves and actually dropped off onto the ramp. I busted my prop on my previous boat there and decided not to go there any more. (That's just me though.)Scott mentioned Captains Quarters. That's where I put in. $10 on weekdays and $15 on weekends, but there's no current or waves to deal with. Both Captains Quarters and Cunninghams are in that finger. Maybe put in there, go see the skyline, come back and eat. Once you go downtown, there are plenty of places to eat and bars on the Indiana side too to check out. Just be careful which side of the slip you tie up on depending on the current. Also, regarding lakes, look into Nolin Lake.
Thanks for the info, I think we will be launching at Captains Quarters. Are there any coves/quarries to swim on the Ohio north of Louisville? I see what appear to be some pretty large inlets off the Ohio on google maps north of 12 mile Island it looks like.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, I think we will be launching at Captains Quarters. Are there any coves/quarries to swim on the Ohio north of Louisville? I see what appear to be some pretty large inlets off the Ohio on google maps north of 12 mile Island it looks like.
There is a rock quarry at 6 mile island (almost directly across from Captains Quarters) and another one a few miles up from 18 mile island, both on the Indiana side. 6 mile is more of the party crowd and a lot smaller than the one at 21/22 mile. That one is huge and more family oriented. Just to warn you, some people (such as my wife) refuse to swim in the Ohio. Just google how polluted it is. Nobody has grown a third arm from swimming in it that I know of though.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a rock quarry at 6 mile island (almost directly across from Captains Quarters) and another one a few miles up from 18 mile island, both on the Indiana side. 6 mile is more of the party crowd and a lot smaller than the one at 21/22 mile. That one is huge and more family oriented. Just to warn you, some people (such as my wife) refuse to swim in the Ohio. Just google how polluted it is. Nobody has grown a third arm from swimming in it that I know of though.
Lol, I would probably swim north of Louisville as the water has alot of miles to cover after Cincinatti to at least filter itself some. I would probably not swim downriver of Louisville for the same reason your wife doesn't like swimming. I would expect more pollution down river of metro Louisville. So basically if we just follow the river on down to the i65 bridge area we should be able to find some float up restaurants and bars on the Indy side? My wife and I may go this weekend Saturday to spend the day and evening.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I won't swim in the Ohio any more. Last time we were out we came back smelling very much badly.

I used to be a huge proponent that the river was safe and clean. The last year, I've had a change of tune.

Up near Westport isn't bad, but down around Louisville ain't worth a damn.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just an update. I tried launching at Captain's Quarters yesterday and the trailer wheels fell off the ramp. They haven't filled in with gravel, which they have to do every year. So, I went to Cox's Park (Thanks @Scott ) and it worked great. Maybe call Captain's Quarters in advance to find out if they've filled in with gravel yet.