• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any Raleigh-Durham boaters on here?

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Last summer we traded in our SeaDoo skis for a 2015 SX192. The skis were fun but weren't practical for what we like to do which is drop anchor or beach the boat and relax with some cold ones. Just curious to what lake you all frequent most; Falls Lake or Jordan Lake? And why? We live closest to Falls and the short trip is ideal for a quick day out but I prefer Jordan personally. Falls doesn't have any good beaching spots except for the public swim beaches and I doubt they would appreciate us anchoring down where the swimmers are. Jordan has a lot better shoreline it seems.

Any good spots you prefer at either one?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of us from the area...a few of which are in Bimini right now. I boat mostly on Falls lake. We have a couple of spots we like to hit on what I call the big lake area of falls. If you go to the NE corner of the lake there is a cove there with a nice sandbar, and the other cove on the east side also has some sand beach, but not as nice. We you out there today launching from RollingView State Park? (there was a 190/2 pulling into the park when I was turning towards the marina)

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Andy Davis! I am in Wake Forest as well. I boat at Falls and sometimes Kerr. We don't beach but do a split of water sports and anchoring in a cove. I stay mostly on the east side of 50. Look forward to seeing you about there.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are also in the area... we have three kids so if we go to falls we normally end up at the designated boat beach up by sandling beach around lunch time... then we tube and cruise most of the rest of the time.... then last year we hit kerr lake and wow... it is so much nicer than falls. There is a party island in kerr that we have never been too due to having kids with us but it's up near the damn. We haven't done Jordan or Gaston yet.. we hope to mark those off our list this year..

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Andy. We live down South so Jordan is so close to the house. Always run on that lake unless a trip takes us elsewhere.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello and Welcome @Andy Davis. We live in Raleigh and have a wet slip at Rollingview on Falls, mostly because I live N of 540 and it is very convenient. Eventually we will explore out like you but do plan on having Falls as our home base. Looking forward to seeing you on the water!

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of us from the area...a few of which are in Bimini right now. I boat mostly on Falls lake. We have a couple of spots we like to hit on what I call the big lake area of falls. If you go to the NE corner of the lake there is a cove there with a nice sandbar, and the other cove on the east side also has some sand beach, but not as nice. We you out there today launching from RollingView State Park? (there was a 190/2 pulling into the park when I was turning towards the marina)
It wasn't me out there today but we do usually put in at Rolling View. I'll check out the areas you mentioned. Maybe our paths will cross out there one day.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We are also in the area... we have three kids so if we go to falls we normally end up at the designated boat beach up by sandling beach around lunch time... then we tube and cruise most of the rest of the time.... then last year we hit kerr lake and wow... it is so much nicer than falls. There is a party island in kerr that we have never been too due to having kids with us but it's up near the damn. We haven't done Jordan or Gaston yet.. we hope to mark those off our list this year..
We are going to try Kerr in a few weeks. I've heard it's a Great Lake and its massive compared to the others nearby.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I had to pick one of the two, it'd be Falls. Love em both though.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been on Kerr twice....I liked it, but it is much bigger and as such has bigger boats and wind can make it much wavier. Add to that having to trailer to it (I have my boat in a dock) and it is just more work for me. Gaston is nice....but on the weekend is VERY busy. Biggest downside of Falls is how dirty the water is!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kerr is a great lake but can get awefully big and choppy out in the open. So not great for watersports. We tend to stay in the coves to do the watersports.

Falls tends to be much calmer in the areas east of 50 (the old river channel) but never seems over crowded. The trees protect you from the wind and chop.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kerr is a great lake but can get awefully big and choppy out in the open. So not great for watersports. We tend to stay in the coves to do the watersports.

Falls tends to be much calmer in the areas east of 50 (the old river channel) but never seems over crowded. The trees protect you from the wind and chop.
We refuse to go.go to falls on any holiday with the boat..... it's just too many crazy idiots in the river channel for us.... kerr is big enough u can stay away from the idiots... we still do falls some but kerr is much nicer.... like I said earlier... gaston am Jordan are on our list for this year... then we will rank which ones we like the best again..

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are going to try Kerr in a few weeks. I've heard it's a Great Lake and its massive compared to the others nearby.
If u put in at the nut bush ramp (enter jokes or snickers here) u can ride all the way to the far side of clarksville virginia. It is a huge lake!

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We lived in Ocean Isle Beach before we moved up here. There were a lot of great spots on the international waterway behind the islands (OIB, Sunset, Holden, etc) that we used to take the jet skis too. We're going to plan a long weekend sometime this summer to trailer the boat down and spend a few days on the waterway. Maybe take it up through Wilmington and some of the beaches up that way. It'll be the first time taking it out into salt water.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We lived in Ocean Isle Beach before we moved up here. There were a lot of great spots on the international waterway behind the islands (OIB, Sunset, Holden, etc) that we used to take the jet skis too. We're going to plan a long weekend sometime this summer to trailer the boat down and spend a few days on the waterway. Maybe take it up through Wilmington and some of the beaches up that way. It'll be the first time taking it out into salt water.
We've trailered a few times down to the Wilmington area and boated the ICW....really enjoyed that....finding a sandbar and hanging out, or pulling up to Blue Water and having lunch!

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Welcome Andy. We are in Holly Springs and were mostly going to Jordan. Then we went to Kerr (expensive mistake lol). We now trailer the boat to Kerr. The lake is way cleaner and so BIG! We go there at least once a week now and are thinking of getting a dock in the Marina. The lake just has so much room and have always been able to find a cove to ourselves. If you can go there during the week you can almost have it to yourself.. So quite and peaceful on the weekdays for sure. Nice to have you on the forum and your insight on the coastal waters of NC.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm way late to this forum, but saw this post and wanted to respond. I am in Clayton. I just got my first boat 2 weeks ago. I boat Buckhorn Reservoir in Wilson and have been to Jordan once. We also love Gaston.

Are there any get together in our area?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't live there, but I go there for work 2-3 times a year. . . . .so if anyone has an open spot I'll chip in for gas and beer money ; )