• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any Room for Slo-Pokes?

Maggie Joh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi all,

Very interested in joining the jet boat community, mainly due to lower maintenance. Have been reading through the forums - great resource. Recently looked at a Glastron GT 187 - there is a dealer close to home. I haven't yet been on the water in one - or any jet boat for that matter, although familiar with jet skis. One question I have for others: is jet boating something that you need to do with speed? For those times we just want to 'enjoy the scenery' at a slower pace, would we be frustrated with lack of control or manoeuvrability? I have seen the info on the thrust vectors, and perhaps that's something to include with our list of add-ons. Thanks for any opinions!

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 60 hrs on my boat and the last time I looked my average speed was 11 mph . I don't have any maneuverability help and been doing fine and this is my first boat. The fun part is knowing how fast you can go then doing it!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Below 6 or 7 mph is fine and above 20 mph is fine. In between is that stern squatty plowing speed.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think 90% of members do primarily cruising speeds majority of the time which is roughly 25 mph. This gives best mpg.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all,

Very interested in joining the jet boat community, mainly due to lower maintenance. Have been reading through the forums - great resource. Recently looked at a Glastron GT 187 - there is a dealer close to home. I haven't yet been on the water in one - or any jet boat for that matter, although familiar with jet skis. One question I have for others: is jet boating something that you need to do with speed? For those times we just want to 'enjoy the scenery' at a slower pace, would we be frustrated with lack of control or manoeuvrability? I have seen the info on the thrust vectors, and perhaps that's something to include with our list of add-ons. Thanks for any opinions!
Absolutely no reason you can't drive a jet boat around slowly! People make the mistake of associating JET with SPEED boats....like they are rooster tail rockets only. The older river boats used to be (still are) like this. But the modern jet boat is a safe family runabout.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

Welcome to the forum!
As @Bruce and others will atest, adding trim tabs makes these boats a lot less "squirrelly" at low speeds (and easier coming on plane, lower speed). I do a lot of slow speed cruising with family.

--

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In my opinion, because of the low to almost un-noticable bow rise on a jet boat, jet boat cruising as slower non-planing speeds is actually nicer than in a prop boat as those in the back can still see where you are going! Gas consumption by both props and jets when "plowing" is similar.

If you want to crawl along below 4mph...a jet does require more steering input.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my opinion, because of the low to almost un-noticable bow rise on a jet boat, jet boat cruising as slower non-planing speeds is actually nicer than in a prop boat as those in the back can still see where you are going! Gas consumption by both props and jets when "plowing" is similar.

If you want to crawl along below 4mph...a jet does require more steering input.
Very true. But also true that tabs help to pop up on plane at lower speeds. (nothing to do with bow rise)
That effect is particularly noticeable when loaded (heavily).
For example, the same jet boat with the tabs deployed will go 12mgh on plane and use half the gas than another (w/o tabs deployed and not on plane - "plowing") while at the same speed.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Perhaps use the user map and find someone nearby to possibly go for a drive and see what you think!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like to spend time putting around at idle or now wake mode (Yamaha). It is very pleasant up until 3000+rpm. From there, engine noise is definitely greater than typical outboards or I/Os and my 210 hull throws large rollers perpendicular to the direction of travel (around 5000 RPM -the plow). On plane small rpm changes affect speed more significantly. At 8000 (wot) I get 43 mph, 7500 = 38 mph, 7000 = 32 mph, 6500 = 26 mph, then it falls off plane 6000 = 14 mph. An I/O has a much smaller rpm range so you might consider them a quieter/smoother option than a jet. I still pick my jetboat hands down and newer boats have better sound insulation.

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Hi Maggie Joh,

I'm in the Halifax area (work in the Dockyard, live out near Fall River.)

I own a GT-187

Where do you live at?

The local dealer for the Glastron Line is Iron Wind Marine, up near St Margaret's Bay.

NS

Maggie Joh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hey all, appreciate the input. Have been working away, home next week and looks like Nova Scotia boating will be over for the season. Navy Shooter - hope you are enjoying yours. Ultimate question - would you buy the same again? We are in Halifax and we were at Iron Wind to see the Glastron. Started off looking at the Scarab 165 in Ontario, but the small bump up in size to the 187 makes a difference. Thanks again everyone. Can’t beat the resources on this site.

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Hi Maggie,

If I was buying again, I'd be awful tempted to get the GTS instead of the GT.

The GT has 150 HP, and that's pretty good for the small lake that we're on (Third Lake, Windsor Junction area)

The GTS has 250....and would probably have just a bit more zip.

3 kids on a side-by-side towed floatie bogs down and has trouble getting over 20 MPH. 3 kids on an in-line (hotdog/banana) floatie has no problem getting up to almost 30.

When we bought, the show special at the Feb Boat show was really good....like....REALLY good, so we got what we got, and the price paid was very reasonable, in my opinion.