• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any tricks for getting fuel tank access panel off??

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
trying to get the access panel off. Tried regular ratchet. Bolts broke. Shifted to large impact. Little better movement....2 bolts broke.

I now have at least 5 broken. 3 I have caused and 2 or 3 from previous owner. Would love some input on how to not make this worse.

Any input on drill and tap sizes appreciated.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce had a very detailed post about this. You might want to search on the top left for that thread.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sprayed penetrating oil on those bolts several times for a couple of days and then used an impact wench to remove them and the bolts came out without any major difficulty.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was the project from hell for me. I gave up on 3 holes that I could not redrill, and used plastic caps to fill those holes.

I tried several inserts (heli coil like) and other technologies (brass inserts) to try to repair the hole after the fact. I have a variety of fasteners now affixing the panel on my boat :(

well nuts and brass inserts did the trick for me once I got the hole opened. There is a large aluminum insert in there, you could retap it too, but I found it tedious and painful to do so, specially after drilling the broken bolt. it's just not my strong suit.

About half the bolts were absolutely destroyed and did not come out even with impact wrench. Broke bits and even when I got a good hold of the bolt after drilling the head and removing the panel, the bolts would just disintegrate before turning.

Worst of all, it was for nothing, as my issue was not down there, my fuel float was fine, it was my gauge that was broken!

I wish you much much better luck than I had.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I must be one of the lucky ones. All of the bolts came out without breaking although the aft 2 were difficult. The thread sealer used at the factory does make it difficult to remove the hatch bolts. I just set the square bit with a hammer and used a 3/8" ratchet to back them out slowly and then tighten then loosen as you would when using a tap to cut threads.
20170515_142229_001.jpg 20170515_142506_001.jpg

Last edited:

TheGriz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just did mine today: 7 came out as intended and the others had to be drilled. I started with a 1/8 bit, stepped up to 1/4, and finished with a 3/8 bit. The ones with broken bits still in them from the previous owner were the worst.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you can get the heads off you may be able to use vice grips or two nuts and lock on and use an impact sockets with better grip and able to get penetrating fluid into the area better.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sprayed penetrating oil on those bolts several times for a couple of days and then used an impact wench to remove them and the bolts came out without any major difficulty.
Oh Lord, 10 years on the ocean have taken their toll. i've sprayed everything twice...and the impact just keeps ripping the heads off the bolts. I think I'm 6 broken bolts into this job now. I want to run and hide. I'm tempted to just spin all the heads off with the impact and get to drilling. I know no one wants to do that, but I've been tip toeing around this job for a week trying to get "the Force" to be on my side.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did mine today: 7 came out as intended and the others had to be drilled. I started with a 1/8 bit, stepped up to 1/4, and finished with a 3/8 bit. The ones with broken bits still in them from the previous owner were the worst.
Thanks for the info. I've done that in the past and found that once I have the pilot holes drilled, the larger bits can get hung up and explode (any tips??). The flip side is going through a hundred more expensive, larger sized bits.....You finished with the 3/8? then you tap with what? Can't wait for this job to finish. Hoping someone hid a pot-o-gold under that access panel!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tried using a pencil torch to apply heat? The plastic washer would certainly suffer but it might help to get the bolts free?

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can get the heads off you may be able to use vice grips or two nuts and lock on and use an impact sockets with better grip and able to get penetrating fluid into the area better.
that is a great idea...never tried it before, but I did just snap a bolt off of the zinc plate on the jet pump and was able to power it out with the vice grips. impact worked very well on the other 3 bolts. I suppose I should change out all the bolts as I'm sure they are stressed out at this point.

Also...maybe the 1/2 impact is a bit too powerful for the size of the bolts. the smaller impact can't move them at all.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also remember to try and tighten some also. This can work the bolt back and forth and break free any build up on the threads.

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not use a torch for fear of what the heat may do to the gel coat. I my view an impact is asking for problems in the shear department. Its the thread lock that holds them in for multiple turns. If you are removing to change the cables think about an alternative I discovered today, a method of threading your cables under the hatch. See replacing steering cables in about an hour....................

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can heat the bolt with a soldering iron, or use a heat gun if you don't want to use a torch.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be
This was the project from hell for me. I gave up on 3 holes that I could not redrill, and used plastic caps to fill those holes.

I tried several inserts (heli coil like) and other technologies (brass inserts) to try to repair the hole after the fact. I have a variety of fasteners now affixing the panel on my boat :(

well nuts and brass inserts did the trick for me once I got the hole opened. There is a large aluminum insert in there, you could retap it too, but I found it tedious and painful to do so, specially after drilling the broken bolt. it's just not my strong suit.

About half the bolts were absolutely destroyed and did not come out even with impact wrench. Broke bits and even when I got a good hold of the bolt after drilling the head and removing the panel, the bolts would just disintegrate before turning.

Worst of all, it was for nothing, as my issue was not down there, my fuel float was fine, it was my gauge that was broken!

I wish you much much better luck than I had.
I think you and I will have a lot more in common by the completion of this job!!

Thanks so much for your feedback. Misery loves company.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are ok with not fixing them all, I printed some caps that look way better than an empty hole. Hopefully you can fix them, but if you find that is not worth it, I could send you some caps to cover the holes.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If there is enough bolt left these work like a charm after soaking the bolts overnight in penetrating lubricant.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My bolts were horrid. I believe they are basically inserted into the fiberglass with some sort of epoxy or something.
I had to drill out most of them and then I filled with epoxy I use at work that is far stronger than fiberglass epoxy they used on our boats. It sets quickly so once It was inserted, I was able to drill and tap it and replace the bolts. I actually have two more to drill out, but I had to get the boat out a couple times this year and not just work on the boat.