• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody own a 255 SSI ?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am setting my sights on a sports cuddy cabin and I am researching on the chaparral as an option. Does anyone own one? Are there any issues or concerns with this particular model around 9-11 years old? Any advise from the experienced folk? Thanks.

Amar.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not know that much about the older 255 ssi models but I would advise really spending sometime on a sports cuddy like that. The space really is almost unusable for anything but storage. I have had several friends several friends have that style of boat and all of them changed boats a few years later to either a cabin cruiser or to a straight open bow boat as they found they would rather have either one of those over the sports cuddy. The space is to small and cramped and people get seas sick in tight spaces like that while on the water. I'm sure the thought is that it is an acceptable area to get out of the weather when needed but I think you would find shortly that the space was being used for nothing and after a few times of people trying to spend anytime down there they would likely not use it anymore.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks @robert843 for the input. I own a jet boat and trying to find a compromise between keeping family happy and comfortable and me having the flexibility of towing it to different places/lakes without issues. Right now my family won't get into the yammie because of zero comfort from sun/rain/cold (in their eyes) and I am boating by myself for quite a while. Trying to change that so that we can spend time on the boat as a family together.

I am still researching my options.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boss a couple of jobs ago had one of approx that vintage. He and his wife were empty nesters, so they did not need a lot of seating, but the two of them loved it. He said he never had any trouble with it. I climbed around it on a lift at his pier one time, seemed very well built. Love the Chap lines - they make beautiful boats.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri it sounds like you need a small cabin cruiser or possible a boat where you can quickly enclose the cockpit. I think if you get a sport cuddy you will find you are getting the same complaint. One nice thing is cabin cruisers if you shop hard can usually be found for steals. Towing would be the only issue as they are heavy and you will likely want a 2500 series tow vehicle.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks @robert843 I will explore the cabin cruiser category also. This is the first time I have heard of it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You may find reviews of the boat you are looking for on thehulltruth.com .

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at Merry Fisher, Cutwater, and Beneteau.
There’s a ton of boats out there that will make the family happy. All trailerable. The Annapolis boat show is next weekend. The cutwater will be there for sure.

These are older versions of the Merry Fisher and Beneteau.

That’s the newest cutwater 24.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These may not be your style but I think they are really nice. You will get tons of attention everywhere.

This is on my short list for the future. (Maybe the 27’)

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Excellent boats @McMark I assume these are all built for offshore. I cannot see my family agreeing to these styles but I see the practicality of these boats and something I will definitely consider when exploring the Bahamas.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
amar, what you may find is you end up with a tremendously over needed boat just to satisfy your families conditions for boating.

I would suggest going to boat shows or dealers so your family can walk around in one,

My father had a 21' cuddy when I was 10 yrs old. I loved the feeling of the water so it wasn't there for security for me. I think your family might have unrealistic expectations of what the cuddy will provide.

Maybe a marina near you has a cuddy you could rent for a day so they could experience it on the water?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri I am with @robert843 on the cuddy format. I have 3 friends that have owned this style for only a short while. Each "felt" the overnight sleeping on the boat was the factor that pushed them towards the cuddy. But in each case, the sleeping quarters wound up being a massive storage area that wasted for their typical and most frequent "day" boating uses. Fantastic boats for big water ... when compared to your 24' Yammie, but you should hit the local boat show and see if some other formats will mesh with the family happiness constraint.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri You are so close to Annapolis. Just go check everything out. I’m debating whether to go or not. It’s usually dangerous for me to go to a boat show. Hehe.

6E27CE57-1FA3-4FFD-85CF-5F8D90B6FC57.png

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks @Scottintexas . I think the expectation is that I get the same thrill and enjoyment as my yammie and my family gets the security and comfort of a cruiser. That's a tall order and trying to fit a square peg in a round hole .

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length