• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody used their in-floor storage as a giant cooler?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I am trying to decide if this is a good idea or a bad idea: Using the center in-floor storage as a cooler by filling it with ice on the bottom and throwing beers/booze on top . I haven't looked close enough at the top of the ski locker, but I am pretty sure it is sealed. The only down side I can see is that I would have to drain the ice melt out through the hull and out the back after the day is done, which I can't see why would be a big deal. I usually keep a cooler under the back bench seat but I hate always having to ask the person sitting there to move, and then deal with the stupid unhinged cushion.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It has been done. I remember one LX2000 owner filled his with beer for a long river journey.

I believe your ski locker has a built in drain at the back.

Others have filled it with water for wake surfing ballast.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bet you could do it, but I doubt it would be that convenient/useful unless you have A LOT of drinks with (that would be one big cooler). I down the dimensions of the locker in the 190s are that much less that the 210s, maybe they are? I guess I haven't looked that close...

Our cooler usually goes in the ski locker so it's easier to get to. I agree it's a pain making people move all the time to get to the cooler. We don't wakeboard or ski, and the surf board goes on the rack on the tower. So the locker usually has the bumpers against the rear wall, cooler and maybe a deflated tube (or 2 or 3) in front of that.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The older 230 have a built in cooler under the front seat cushion. Not convenient at all.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That takes up valuable ballast space @Bruce . :D

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The 192 does have a drain in that locker ... not sure how quickly it drains though. I like the idea - let us know how it works out.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It was me that used the floor locker as a cooler in both my old LS2000's. I lined it with foil backed Styrofoam, then iced em and stocked em. I had considered using the floor in my AR but haven't tried it yet. You would have to leave the plug in the bottom of the locker IN. My 192 actually lets water into that space from the bilge when the plug is out, so I leave mine in to keep it dry. I never use it as a storage space because my boards are tower mounted. You could ice and stock it, then when its empty and melted pull the plug to drain. May give this a shot myself. My ls was pretty tough on ice the times I used it, but the area was much smaller and the lid was pretty flimsy. I remember it feeling VERY cold to the feet, so the cold was escaping through the lid. It worked though! Here's a pic of the old LS mod.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The ski locker is pretty big ........ That is ALOT of ice LOL.

I just bought two of these cooler and they fit almost perfectly under the bench seat on our boat. They are a LITTLE tight, but they don't move. I didn't even think about them while under way :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030BGA0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@d_coyne1984 if you want a pic of them, let me know. I will get you one later this morning. Like I said, they are a little snug, but they don't move and utilize space very well :)

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
if you're not planning on giving everyone alcohol poisoning (lol) you may want to try a Yeti hopper. It fits perfectly behind the captain's chair and still holds about a twelve pack.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
NOTHING fits behind the captains chair on the 19's LOL

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you're not planning on giving everyone alcohol poisoning (lol) you may want to try a Yeti hopper. It fits perfectly behind the captain's chair and still holds about a twelve pack.

$300 FOR A COOLER!!!! OUCH!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Billtex2000 - I know...I was the same at first. But definitely worth every penny. VERY durable and AMAZING at holding in the cold.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I was to try it I would do what @skrip345 did with the foam but would go with dry ice, possibly in its own open/ grated container. Nothing to drain when the day or weekend our over.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Our ss has a big locker in the center of the boat but it's not a ski locker. Dunno what you would call it. We use for a cooler sometimes but agree that you really need some good insulation in there! We made a little box that fits in there of some of that metal sided attic insulation that I had leftover fron doing some under the hatch stuff.
It works well, and we just let it drain whenever it melts. My wife actually uses a bunch of those freezer packs with the blue gel. Even has some that are like 12" x 12" x 4" that really do well for a day trip.
I also want to use it for a fish well or ice to put fish on, but gotta get time to fish!