• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone else towing with a lowered vehicle

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tow vehicle is a lowered 2006 Trailblazer SS. it tows great, has plenty of power, and keeps the entertainment factor up when not towing. I've lowered it somewhat significantly recently for both aesthetics and handling reasons. The front suspension has new shock bodies with modified spring perches, and the rear was lowered by adjusting the factory airbags. Upon hooking up the trailer, the truck accepted the additional tongue weight and immediately added air the bags just like every other load leveling system out there. So my ride height from "normal" to "towing" is the same. No real worries there.

It occurred to me last night while standing in the driveway and talking with the neighbor, that I might have put myself into a less than ideal situation with the new boat though during launch. The exhaust exits out of the rear of the truck, and is probably only about 10-12" off the pavement (I'll measure here shortly). Think I'm going to have any problems with submerging the exhaust during launch/retrieval operations?

Anyone have a picture of the truck/trailer in the water during launch? Any other thoughts from the resident gurus?

Here's a picture of the truck/boat combo...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have submerged the exhaust on my factory height truck at a shallow ramp with all four wheels in the water. It sounded strange but was fine.

I would be much more concerned about changes in angle and speed bumps. Likely issues you deal with all the time but also likely to be greater with the tongue weight added to your vehicle.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Forgot to mention that the truck is equipped with AWD, so traction isn't a concern. Didn't realize I neglected that detail until just now.

I have submerged the exhaust on my factory height truck at a shallow ramp with all four wheels in the water. It sounded strange but was fine.

I would be much more concerned about changes in angle and speed bumps. Likely issues you deal with all the time but also likely to be greater with the tongue weight added to your vehicle.
Thanks for the feedback. The speedbumps and attack angles are always a conscious effort to watch. Basically I just drop the speed with the trailer another notch and take things slowly.

Don't shut off the tow vehicle and you'll have no issues with the exhaust. Unless of course you ever have to launch at a ramp like this one (which is crazy)!

I launched a similar ramp once with the old boat. Was a good 40-50ft out into the water before the trailer finally dipped the bunks into the water. Was a private gravel ramp on Lake Douglas in TN. Had a full size/height GMC Yukon at the time, and it wasn't a big deal. Now the gravel incline getting back to the top of the hill was a huge problem, and resulted in a few dings to the gelcoat on the boat from flying rocks!

I won't be doing such shenanigans with this truck, that is for certain!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The speedbumps and attack angles are always a conscious effort to watch.
I hate to admit it but I would have to hide my laughing if I found you high centered somewhere before I offered to tow (drag) your vehicle off of the hump.

You are right about AWD being a big help around the boat ramp.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate to admit it but I would have to hide my laughing if I found you high centered somewhere before I offered to tow (drag) your vehicle off of the hump.

You are right about AWD being a big help around the boat ramp.
Been driving lowered vehicles for the last 19 years. I might or might not have high centered a few of them when I was younger. Good thing I grew out of the "slam it as low as you can" mentality, and transitioned into the "just low enough to look and handle better" mentality pretty quick.

Also, don't hide the laughter, if I stick this one I deserve the ridicule! :D :D

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tow vehicle is a lowered 2006 Trailblazer SS. it tows great, has plenty of power, and keeps the entertainment factor up when not towing. I've lowered it somewhat significantly recently for both aesthetics and handling reasons. The front suspension has new shock bodies with modified spring perches, and the rear was lowered by adjusting the factory airbags. Upon hooking up the trailer, the truck accepted the additional tongue weight and immediately added air the bags just like every other load leveling system out there. So my ride height from "normal" to "towing" is the same. No real worries there.

It occurred to me last night while standing in the driveway and talking with the neighbor, that I might have put myself into a less than ideal situation with the new boat though during launch. The exhaust exits out of the rear of the truck, and is probably only about 10-12" off the pavement (I'll measure here shortly). Think I'm going to have any problems with submerging the exhaust during launch/retrieval operations?

Anyone have a picture of the truck/trailer in the water during launch? Any other thoughts from the resident gurus?

Here's a picture of the truck/boat combo...
As far as towing, too low is eminently better/safer than too high.

--

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I tow with an '09 Envoy and at somewhat flat/shallow launches the exhaust is underwater every time. Haven't had any ill effects as I leave it running. I do wish I had your 5.3 instead of the 4.2 though.....

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I have a lowered Tundra and based on your picture, believe my hitch height is about the same with my Yammi hooked up. I don't have a problem with the exhaust when launching, but as @Bruce has pointed out the angles and tongue weight might be an issue to listen for wrt bottoming out of the suspension.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow with an '09 Envoy and at somewhat flat/shallow launches the exhaust is underwater every time. Haven't had any ill effects as I leave it running. I do wish I had your 5.3 instead of the 4.2 though.....
Thanks for the feedback. You have the same body as I've got, so if you aren't lowered and the exhaust is already in the water, then I'll definitely be submerged. Now I'm concerned about the bumper going under!

I've actually got the 6.0L LS2 in there (standard on the SS package). Rated a 400hp/400ft-lbs before the rebuild it got last year. It'll pass everything but a gas station, and towed the boat up a decent incline with the torque converter still locked up and the trans in OD. Plenty of power to be had, it's just super thirsty. Averaging around 14.5mpg in daily driving, best I've seen is 17mpg on the highway, and I'm guessing around 10-12 towing. Ran a 14.00@98 when I took it to the drag strip this spring.

@2kwik4u I have a lowered Tundra and based on your picture, believe my hitch height is about the same with my Yammi hooked up. I don't have a problem with the exhaust when launching, but as @Bruce has pointed out the angles and tongue weight might be an issue to listen for wrt bottoming out of the suspension.
Thanks for the info. So far on the single boat tow I've done with it I haven't had a bottoming problem. I yanked the factory bumpstops, and replaced them with some low profile polyurethane ones. If it does bottom in the rear I at least won't have metal on metal contact.

We're taking the boat to a local lake this weekend for it's first outing. I'll take some pictures if the ramp isn't super busy.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not that it helps at all, but I want to dump my Cayenne in the worst way. Just can't justify the $6000 price tag for the suspension kit I want yet.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not that it helps at all, but I want to dump my Cayenne in the worst way. Just can't justify the $6000 price tag for the suspension kit I want yet.
I'm pretty fortunate. This drop was only about $250 or so. Rear was free-fifty-free due to adjusting the ride height sensors, the front was a new set of shocks with modified spring perches.

If I had a money tree sitting around I could spend $2,500 on a nice set of coilovers front and rear, and some custom arms to hold them. Would be a huge benefit to the ride I'm sure, but damn thats pricey. I can't imagine $6k on suspension work.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
6k for a suspension kit does not sound so bad... considering I ended up spending effing 2k on just redoing the trailer hitch and harness/software in my Q7.
Why? Because I'm dumb and I did not listen to @veedubtek.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maiden voyage yesterday. Truck exhaust was about 2" from the water with the fenders just covered. Probably about right for launching a little deep for loading. This was at Taylorsville Lake (Settlers Trace) just outside Louisville KY. Going to try Patoka Lake in southern IN next weekend. I'll report back on the results there.

Now to solve my trucks cooling problems :( :(

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
6k for a suspension kit does not sound so bad... considering I ended up spending effing 2k on just redoing the trailer hitch and harness/software in my Q7.
Why? Because I'm dumb and I did not listen to @veedubtek.

--
Rule number one 1... Always listen to @veedubtek ....

Unless u could be batman... then always be batman!

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought I would come.back and update this thread.

Launched and retrieved 3 times now at our two most local lakes.

Truck hasnt gotten even a little bit close to the water. Both ramps are steep enough that the boat floats off before the safety chains are wet, much less the exhaust.

Looks like it was much to do about nothing.