• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone familiar with digital to analog cable TV converters?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so we gave out daughter an old 46" HD projection TV we had sitting around for a long time. Nice TV for a 15 year old TV, many inputs, 2 tuners etc etc. we hook it up to her cable and no signal, I thought I would need a converter but tried anyways. Went to Walmart bought an RCA digital to analog converter for $40 hook it up and it scans for channels. Finds 180+ channels, cool we're in business, but noooooo. Every channel we try says scrambled signal. OK. This is a new apartment she needs a cable box from spectrum but then her newer LCD tv picks up the channels fine.

So do I need a specific digital to analog converter??

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm willing to bet her newer LCD TV has a built in "Clear QAM" tuner. Most cable companies broadcast their signals over coax via QAM encoding these days, and a QAM tuner allows you to basically decode those channels. It is not a digital to analog converter, but rather a digital tuner. Any "converter" you buy would need to list a QAM tuner specifically. Unfortunately there's lots of crap out there. It might be easier to get another tv with a QAM tuner in it, or pick up a cable box from the cable company.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottie thanks for the info. I found one online with a QAM tuner built in so I ordered it for her. She's 5 hours away and that TV isn't coming back. It must have weighed 200lbs and getting it to a 2nd floor apartment wasn't fun we need to make it work there or its just for Netflix.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds good. Let me know how it turns out.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
As Scottie said... if you want basic channels you will need to get her an antenna. That is what the digital to analog box is meant for, over the air.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the set have one hdmi input?