• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have an electric Dirt Bike for the kiddos?!?!?!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Neighbor kid down the street got one of these Indian eFTR JR bikes in the spring. Our oldest (turns 10 this month) has ridden it a few times, and has been BEGGING for us to get him one for his birthday. I've been into motorcycles my whole life, and think it's a great idea. Wife is, somewhat surprisingly, 100% onboard as well. So we can scoot right past the "but it's dangerous" part of the discussion and move right to the "which one do I get" portion.

After tons and tons and tons of research. I settled on the Mototec 48V 1500W Electric DirtBike. I have a tendency to slightly overbuy up front so that I don't have to worry about upgrading soon after the initial purchase. Most online reviews say that the speed and power controls are great, it's decently built, and fits my 10yr olds frame pretty well. I'm ready to buy.......but they're out of stock. Everywhere in the US, they're out of stock. I'm on waiting lists in like 14 sites. Seriously, it's worse than trying to find a new jetboat right now.

So I went out looking at what else was out there. I don't want to waste away his summer looking for the "perfect" bike, when he can still have a lot of fun on an "acceptable" bike right now.

Wife found a Razor MX500 one county away for $250. This is a full $750 less expensive than the Mototec unit I found online, and it looks (from the pictures) that it has never been ridden before. Now, this is only a 36V unit with a 500W motor, so it'll be down on power a little compared to the other one but should still drag him around just fine. I'm sure the Indian the neighbor kid is ridding is an MX500 (maybe a 650) in Indian marketing clothes. I've found a few upgrade kits online to move the MX500 powertrain UP to a 48V 1800W setup, for under $600. Would be into a much faster/more powerful driveline this way, for still less money than the Mototec setup. HOWEVER, I'm unsure on component quality like shocks/wheels/tires/etc. I suspect Mototec is a chinese "knockoff" level bike, and the Razor is US made for cheap, so gut tells me it's probably a wash.

Wife also found a Razor MX650 on facebook for $425. Has a 36V 650W driveline with the same chassis as the MX500. But it's $200 more. Same issue on component quality concerns.

My gut tells me to go ahead and get the gently used MX500. Make sure the turkey actually rides the thing and doesn't get bored with it. If he likes it we can either replace it or upgrade it over the winter to make it go faster/further/etc.

If money and timing were no object (they always are right?), then I think the Volcon Runt would be my "go to" electric motorcycle. Sadly they still aren't shipping yet (just this morning has the "buy now" button appeared), and are largely unproven. Maybe this is next years birthday and the MX500 gets handed down to the then 4yr old?!?!

A few other thoughts. Can't go gas, or I would be plunking down money on a CRF100F instead of posting. We're in a suburban neighborhood, but happen to be on the last street that backs up to a 14acre hay field. Owner says he doesn't care if the boys ride back there, but doesn't want to deal with the cops getting called. We've seen some other bikes show up that are somewhat loud (uncorked 4strokes and a couple 2 strokes), and the cops arrive within minutes. So we're not going there, gotta stay electric. Here's the area they get to ride:
1626101993351.png

Anyone here have ANY experience with electric dirt bikes for kids? Any other makes/models to look at that I might have missed. Going tonight with cash in hand to see the MX500 (and bring it home if I can figure out how to get it in the Audi).

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have nothing to add but....I want the adult version of this trike drifter!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Had an mx500 for my daughter. She loved to ride around on that thing. Got tired of the electric though and dealing with replacing batteries, charging and limited ride time. I got rid of it and got her a honda crf50. That was much better. Teaches her how to kick start and gives her 3 gears, no clutch, so it gets her familiar with shifting. Much better choice all around than the electric. Size wise the 2 bikes are the same. For a 10 year old though with either one you are going to have limited years your kid will fit that bike. The crf though you can buy, ride for a couple few years and sell it for about what you bought it for. They hold their value extremely well. I think i had mine for 4 years and actually made 100 bucks when i sold it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had an mx500 for my daughter. She loved to ride around on that thing. Got tired of the electric though and dealing with replacing batteries, charging and limited ride time. I got rid of it and got her a honda crf50. That was much better. Teaches her how to kick start and gives her 3 gears, no clutch, so it gets her familiar with shifting. Much better choice all around than the electric. Size wise the 2 bikes are the same. For a 10 year old though with either one you are going to have limited years your kid will fit that bike. The crf though you can buy, ride for a couple few years and sell it for about what you bought it for. They hold their value extremely well. I think i had mine for 4 years and actually made 100 bucks when i sold it.
Thanks for the feedback.

I totally get the MX500 is a temp solution (maybe a summer or two). If he likes riding, I'll move him up to a 100cc-ish 4-stroke and we'll start hitting local trails and such.

How is the CRF50 on noise compared to the MX500? Obviously louder, but is it obnoxious loud, or whisper quiet? I might be able to swing a gas if I can make is whisper quiet, or at least more quite than a lawn mower. Any thoughts?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
oh man its really quiet. nothing like a lawnmower. 1/4 of what a lawnmower is. my daughter could pull up to the front door of the house and i really wouldn't hear it inside with windows closed...or barely. its also super easy to start. once she had enough weight on her that thing could sit for six months and she could go out and kick start it in one kick. they really made it easy for the little kids.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I bought my (now 21 year old adult) son a Yamaha PW90 when he was 7. Three speeds, no clutch, just bang and go. He had a ton of fun on that thing for years. I know electric *anything* is all the rage these days, but there's something to be said for a two stroke in power, noise, and maintenance. This bike taught him how to do mechanical things - now days he rebuilds his own truck engines.

With the stock can, they're pretty quiet too, even for a two stroke.

Btw, a PW90 was fun for the adults to zip around on too! :D :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @mrcleanr6 and @anmut

I'm super nervous about making a ton of noise. We're friends with all the people on our side of the street, but there are a few others around that aren't quite as receptive to the boys having a good time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also.....Land is a requirement in our future house purchases. Larger boat storage and motorcycle riding are needed items in this household :D :D

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seen one of the neighbor kids down the block on an electric dirt bike. He just whizzes by silently for the most part. Kind of creepy. Lately he is wearing a batman cape and costume riding it around......

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have permission from the land owner, what exactly can cops say if it isnt after a noise ordinance time, which is usually about 11:00 pm?

I had cops show up at my own house once for riding a KX450 on my own land. Noise complaint was called in. I told him it was my land, my bike, and it was only 5:00pm. He agreed and politely got in his car and drove off.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you have permission from the land owner, what exactly can cops say if it isnt after a noise ordinance time, which is usually about 11:00 pm?

I had cops show up at my own house once for riding a KX450 on my own land. Noise complaint was called in. I told him it was my land, my bike, and it was only 5:00pm. He agreed and politely got in his car and drove off.
Good for you for standing up to the Karen's. Just because you don't like the noise, doesn't make it illegal. Lot's of two-stroke motors get fired up to trim yards up all pretty, but damn you to hell for letting your kid have some fun.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im not saying to be all obnoxious, but a kids 4 stroke dirtbike is quiet. Get an XR80. Super quite. I rode alot of them at age 10..

Not much anyone can complain about, and some will complain to complain. The one who called on me stood in her yard and watched me after the cops left. I got as close to her property as possible and made it a point to almost stop. Pull in clutch, and hit the rev limiter with the exhaust facing her. Haha

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
totally right. people will complain just to complain. its who they are. the thing is, people like that live in neighborhoods or developments and they shouldn't. nothing wrong with wanting peace and quiet but if you are that way then you need to get out of the neighborhood and buy a house away from people.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just dont let them ride in the neighborhood. Push it to the field and let them enjoy bein a kid.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Being an old school MXer - I agree with others. Get a CRF50, maybe 2. Cause you will want to ride 1 as well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yambers @jocolo21 @octavio3311 @mrcleanr6 @anmut You guys are 100% spot on. I have permission, the noise from a small 4-stroke wouldn't be terrible, and well.....fuck a bunch of Karens for complaining. I'm with you. The part I don't like is the initial confrontation, the alienation of the neighbors, and the general premise of purposefully NOT being a good neighbor, even if they aren't either. It's just a whole lot of To-Do over nothing, and I'm just avoiding it all around under the premise of the easiest way to solve a problem is to not have it in the first place.

SO.....Last night I picked up a used Razor MX500. It's in medium condition and needs a little refurbishment. Has a safety that needs to be reset periodically, the brakes need lubricated and adjusted, Handle bars are loose, and the decals are peeling a little. Picked it up for $250 with a charger and spare helmet (gotta figure out how to clean that before strapping it to the kids noggin). Little thing has enough power to pull me around the block as a test. Gonna spend the remainder of the week getting it tuned up and checked out.

1626195038994.png

If the 10yr old really enjoys it and rides it a lot, we'll upgrade him in the spring to something more substantial. Have to see how he fits, and how much he uses it before we get too carried away with big cash investment. We've been down this road before and sunk cash into something and it turns out to be "not his thing" and the stuff sits around and collects dust until we sell it for pennies on the dollar. Hoping to short circuit that trend here.

Another quick note on the gas powered toys. Wife was actually pitching the idea of getting a whole stable of gas powered ride on doo-dads, and a small trailer. Thinks it might be a good outdoor passtime for the family in the boating off-season. I was pretty much floored as she's never really enjoyed me riding a motorcycle, and has pretty much said camping is not for her. This level of outdoor enthusiasm hasn't been seen before in our 15+ years of togetherness.......Be interesting to see what the spring holds on that front!

I'll update the thread as fixes are implemented and riding begins. Thanks for the input so far.