• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have their windows tinted?

Amad3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Where'd you get it tinted? Or is there a place I can buy the tints precut so I can put it on myself? I'm in Michigan.

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I brought mine to an auto tinting shop. I would say it might be tricky to do it yourself just because of the curve in the glass . 150 bucks Canadian

Amad3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I brought mine to an auto tinting shop. I would say it might be tricky to do it yourself just because of the curve in the glass . 150 bucks Canadian
Your boat looks sic! Do you still see the dried up water marks left from the water after you take it out? Is the water marks more noticeable with the tints?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I went pretty dark with mine. It looks awesome from the outside looking in, but it’s too dark. Wife can’t see out on the passenger side when looking through 2 panes (windshield and center window folded over). Especially when wearing sunglasses, too.

I usually look over the windshield when driving anyway, but now I pretty much have to or take my glasses off.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the same experience as @BigAbe75 on my first Yamaha jet boat. That is I tinted it myself using the darkest and most expensive tint I could find at Pep Boys (5%/ lets 5% of light through). The tint and installation kit (spray bottle and plastic squeegee) were under $40 but I ended up redoing the first attempt and it took 4 to 8 hours for me from start to finish. When it was done it looks great but it was hard to see out of, especially when the center was folded over the passenger side window. As I recall the tint eventually went bad in that it change color to a dark purple, once I decided that I would have it replaced I peeled the tint off the center windshield to improve visibility. I sold the boat and bought another before I had a chance to replace the tint.

On the next/my current boat I knew I wanted a lighter tint (iand that I would pay someone to install it. I got quotes from auto tint shops from $400 to $800, took the $400 deal, the guys first boat. They had problems with the curve and it took them around 5 hours to complete the job. When I picked it up the owner said he would never do another boat.

Getting back to the original question, I have never seen a precut window tint kit for a boat or car (@JetBoatPilot , Will if you could off such kits for jet boats I’m sure there would be a market for such a product). If you tint it yourself plan on it taking a long time to make it look right. One small gust of wind can ruin tint during installation either by inserting debris/dust between the window and tint or by causing the tint to develop a crease or several, so buy more than you think you will need. Lastly, if you can get the tint the pros use on office buildings and such. Why? Because it comes on rolls 3’ to 4’ wide meaning you can tint the side front windows (all the windows actually) with the curve with a single piece of tint instead of two spliced together. They quality is higher as well, my current tint has not faded or changed color at all over four to five seasons now.

One other alternatives to consider is installing the tint on the outside of the windows, doing so is a hell of a lot easier than on the inside but it’s not the traditional or even generally acceptable way to install tint. At least member here or on YJB did it this way but he wrapp d cars and boats for a living and I get the feeling that the tint did not last long installed on the outside of his boat but he hasn’t logged on in years so who knows.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tinted mine a few weeks back in prep for Bimini. $150 bucks from a reputable guy that did it out of a storage unit as a business...20% tint. I love the results, I seldom boat at night, even when I do boat I'm usually standing. it does impede your vision slightly, specially for the smaller items like kayaks and canoes ...

BUT...my trooper neighbor told me the laws for the front windshield tinted on boats is the same for cars.... We seldom have rangers on the lake, no issues yet....stay tuned.

upload_2018-7-4_10-42-36.png

Jwalk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Where'd you get it tinted? Or is there a place I can buy the tints precut so I can put it on myself? I'm in Michigan.
Did u tint your Scarab? You have the same paint scheme I have and I would love to see pics if you did. Considering it myself.

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had the tints done. Went with 25%
Not an easy install, the installer struggled a lot with the curved window, paid 350 bucks. Well worth it, looks very cool and aggressive.

53CB5D00-228E-4C43-884A-FDF223E592E7.jpegE58EEA6F-C655-4C21-B255-EAD73BEE0F4C.jpeg26631685-A170-415F-A197-1615048DEC91.jpeg

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Very nice... what percentage?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had mine done but the first place I called gave up after a few hours of trying. The curve is a real challenge for most tinters.