• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone know how to drain a lake?

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our lake (Army Corps Reservoir) is already approx. 30ft above normal pool, which happened last week very quickly. Today, we got another five inches locally, thankfully not much north of the reservoir/river. More rain coming up North and near me the next couple of days.

The lake is treacherous right now with massive debris fields and full on trees floating all over. It's a 15-20 minute walk to my slip from the upper parking lot at the marina, as the lower parking lots with access points to the docks are all flooded. I did get out last Saturday, but it wasn't very much fun ... I had to stop and clear the pumps every 10 minutes or so before we decided to just park and float. Lots of little twigs/sticks/moss/crap/etc out there too.

Not fun. Hopefully this rain stops soon ... the second the lake starts to lower is when most of the debris clears up. Doesn't look like it will be lowering for a few more days though, especially if we continue to get these massive downpours around us.

I'm hoping to get down to the marina later tonight just to check on the boat/knock down any swallow nest foundations that may have started construction, but REALLY want to get the boat out, dangit! I hate not being able to use it; just my luck: First year with a super-convenient slip/lift at a marina across the street from me and can't even use the damn boat.

All that said, I'd like some help draining the lake ... any ideas? I've got a shop vac ...

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We will take some of the water. Our lakes are really low in north texas.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would be happy to help if we could! Army Corps of Engineers need to figure out a way to temporarily re-route the Mississippi River to the dry lakes/areas!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whomever runs the lake should be the one to drain it. I think a MK82 would work though.

leatherneck33

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems like a good problem to have given my home lake is over 11' low.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bring your buckets, please take it! Wish it were that easy ...

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anybody remember the Lake Delton videos?

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy Crap ... That's bad. I hope it doesn't get that bad here...

Unfortunately, there is this slow moving blob that is just sitting NW of me, which doesn't appear to be going anywhere either. Dumping tons of water in to the river upstream. Great.

image.jpg

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's crazy !!!!

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And tons more coming today/this weekend. My sump pump might get a little tired ... and my boat is getting really antsy. Looks like next week will be dry ... hopefully the lake clears up a little bit for the fourth.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WickedPorter

Yeah.....name on the boat seems 'bout right.

I'd be concerned as well. I hope you get through it OK. Thoughts are with you. Actually, I'm thinking about how to get all that water over to the left coast.

This drought we are having has me seriously concerned. They say the price of my salad is going up. Can't have that.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The Corp lakes around us (Allatoona, Lanier) change drastically throughout the year. Allatoona is a mud hole throughout the winter but we have been at full pool for the last few summers. During the winter there is barely enough water at the ramp to splash our boat but the occasional winter cruise is possible with an appropriate level of caution. We were in drought conditions a few years ago and many coves on Lanier had turned into meadows with many docks sitting on dry land. It's definitely a feast or famine type deal with the Corp waters.
Watch the debris fields, a submerged snag can screw up a boat in a hurry.
I feel your pain but the lake level will stabilize and you'll be boating in the sun with nary a care except what cove to drop anchor in for a swim!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What I don't understand is these droughts seem to cycle every 30-50 years. Why not use regular excavation equipment to get out there and dredge on the cheap during a drought while the water is down and be good for another 30-50 years? Then again I have been told that I would never last at a government job so I probably just don't get it. :)

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dredging. That is what most did in lake ChesDin 5 years ago when low rains and a heavy handed employee at the water works continued to dump too much lake water over the dam..
IMG_20100912_122552.jpg IMG_20100912_122608.jpg IMG_20100912_124316.jpg

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
An excavator and a truck could make that navigable for decades.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Don't worry about the rain. I work so much until after next weekend that taking the boat out is impossible. So after the 6th it will all be boating season and your weather will clear up and lakes will go back to normal and you will all forget I said it and go out and enjoy.
cmon fireworks season get over already!
Our lake is about a foot high. At two foot it floods homes.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shasta Lake is down 117' today and losing close to a foot a day. Still the lake is boat'able with 229 miles of shoreline at this level.

We won't likely have any rain until September but those early storms usually drop less than 1/2". If there is a chance of the lake level going up it won't be until November or December.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't worry about the rain. I work so much until after next weekend that taking the boat out is impossible. So after the 6th it will all be boating season and your weather will clear up and lakes will go back to normal and you will all forget I said it and go out and enjoy.
cmon fireworks season get over already!
Our lake is about a foot high. At two foot it floods homes.
So... more soakers and tornados and whatnot Saturday/Sunday/Monday ... Lake is going up another 10ft for a total of 45' above normal pool. We only have one parking lot left.

Bad news:
  1. Losing another parking lot at the marina, now only one small lot left.
  2. We will be just 8ft shy of the lake going over the emergency spillway.
  3. Tons of debris still floating around in the lake.
  4. Will be August before the lake level goes back to normal, as long as rain stays away.
  5. Significant rain chances again this coming weekend and next week.
Good news:
  1. No significant rain chances in the next few days, should be a pleasant 4th.
  2. Lake won't be as busy as it normally is over the 4th, no place to park, definitely no place to park trailers.
  3. Cooler temperatures the next couple 0f days, so the 20minute walk with heavy coolers/boat supplies won't be so grueling with high humidity.
  4. I live across the street from the marina, so I can take a bike/walk the bike trail to get there (i.e. no parking trouble for me).
  5. The marina will be able to easily replace the flood lights on the 60ish ft pole in the next couple of days:
image.jpg

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length