• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone Know What This is?

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We just bought this old house (early 1920s) and in the back yard I run across this. Any ideas what this may be for? Looks like it has several values but is clearly not used. It has a metal cover as well. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guess would be an old water well system. probably out of commission if you are plumbed with municipal water now.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guess would be an old water well system. probably out of commission if you are plumbed with municipal water now.
Seems likely. If so, there will be records with the municipality of when the building was hooked to the distribution system.
They ALWAYS keep records of such things and can likely give you some good details on your installation (when, where the run is located with measurements, who the contractor was, etc.)

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes that is what I thought as well but was confused when I saw the gauge that stated "Liquid Temperature"? It seems so odd! Thanks!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes that is what I thought as well but was confused when I saw the gauge that stated "Liquid Temperature"? It seems so odd! Thanks!
It is a buried propane tank.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That sure looks like it! There is a natural gas line now. I guess I can either dig it up or bury it. Thanks!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sure looks like it! There is a natural gas line now. I guess I can either dig it up or bury it. Thanks!
If you aren't going to keep it full of propane, you should drain it an dig it up. Tanks that are not full or maintained and filled at a regular basis don't last as long a ones that are. It could rust and start leaking crating a fire hazard or a safety hazard. This should have been disclosed to you before closing on the home.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It was not disclosed. I was thinking I would open the value and see if there is any gas coming out. Then I can figure out next steps.

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was not disclosed. I was thinking I would open the value and see if there is any gas coming out. Then I can figure out next steps.
just opening the valve will not release any gas, it will have a safety valve. Besides, you do not want to release Propane into the air. Your best bet is to look up a local LP company and have them come out and empty it for you. Shouldn't cost much if you live in area covered by LP delivery services.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Actually on a bulk tank there will be no safety valve. Especially one that age. My guess is the buried anodes (if there were any) have long since dissolved, and this thing might be sitting there with rust holes. Up to you, but it'll cost a pretty penny to get it removed. The gauge that says "Liquid temperature" means that the volume gauge was calibrated to a certain temperature. I don't recall what the ratio is but I believe LP gas expands and contracts 10 times as much as water does for a given temp swing. I used to deliver and install propane systems, so any questions just ask!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since the tank is old likely full of holes anyway I was thinking of just remove the values and be done with it. Having it pulled out will be expensive.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would be remiss to tell you though, now that you know about the tank you will have to disclose if you ever sell the property just FYI.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it was not disclosed by seller when you bought it, you may have ability to recover from seller and/or seller's agent. Laws vary widely by state, but may be worth getting a legal opinion.