• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone know where I can get this setup ?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
flushing.jpg Saw this setup on a youtube video on winterization. I like it a lot, just cant find it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks home made....so perhaps you are asking....does anyone have the "how to build this" info?

Of course this raises the Antifreeze or not question---which I firmly answer...NOT (7 years in Wisconsin with no anti freeze and no issues)....but it is one of those things that some feel better about doing. I'd be a proponent if anyone could show me a photo of something cracked by ice (or mysteriously cracked) post winter. I have enough to do, and don't need to fix things that aren't broken. (climbing off my soapbox :oops: )

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
west marine sells all of that except for the pump (which they sell, but not as a kit).

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just used my ballast bag pump and filled up a 5 gallon bucket with rv anti freeze. Worked great!!!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does Yamaha recommend using antifreeze?

The water boxes can hold some water but they are so large that the water would not harm them if it freezes.

Personally I believe that blowing out the jets before winter is sufficient. And I would not want to spill antifreeze into the environment.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce - I asked my service location 3 times and have gotten a "nope you don't need to use antifreeze, it's a self draining system" each and every time.

As far as spilling antifreeze into the environment... every I/O that gets "winterized" out there does this (in an area where winter means freezing temps). I used eco friendly antifreeze when I would winterize my Cobalt and I have dogs. I just made sure to spray it off the concrete (into the grass) when I was done.

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As far as spilling antifreeze into the environment... every I/O that gets "winterized" out there does this (in an area where winter means freezing temps). I used eco friendly antifreeze when I would winterize my Cobalt and I have dogs. I just made sure to spray it off the concrete (into the grass) when I was done.
We use RV antifreeze in our PWCs. Eco-friendly, as you say.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My exciter exhaust had split wide open. Bought it with full knowledge that both engines were blown as well. Since they were blown engines i am sure he didn't rev up once to blow water out and the crack was at the exit end of the exhaust jacket where water would sit.
Blow the water out and it should be fine

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Are those water transfer pumps adjustable. I don't want one over pumping the antifreeze like crazy. Any recommendations on HP and GPH.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
I use a hose attached to a funnel. Never had a problem, it comes out of the PEE- Hole too. I put 1 gallon threw last year. It's just keeps my mind at ease, even if everyone doesn't do it.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well that makes things a lot cheaper and easier. I thought you needed the pump to push the liquid through. So your saying that is not necessary ?

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
I didn't use a pump and it worked fine for me. I have the same engine. I had my wife hold the funnel while I poured it in.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In an I/O, there's a water pump that pulls the water through. I assume if you have a shutoff valve or a hose clamp on the external inlet for water (not the flush port), there should be a mechanism in the engine to just pull the water and antifreeze, right? That way you wouldn't need a pump.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
618CqAouPuL__SL1500_.jpg

Some may say the funnel idea may not provide enough pressure if you run the engines longer than normal, as if they were not on a hose. Not arguing that point, if it makes you feel safer you could always grab one of these drill pumps for a few bucks. Thats what I use and it does the trick.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2 cents: Save your money folks.

-40 Deg F here in WI for a week and a half. I'm in indoor un-heated storage so it was probably -39.5 Deg F in there.

3 winters of this and no issues.

I rev the motors to blow the water out. I don't go nuts when I blow them out. I just start and rev them a few times. Then I do the other winterization stuff (which - of course - is mostly removing equipment from the boat). Right before I yank the battery I follow Yamaha fogging procedure (spray fog into the intakes of engines when they are not running) then fire up and rev a couple more times.

Done.

Of course, as always, do whatever helps you sleep through that long cold winter.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how do yall drain/winterize the ballast systems if you have one..

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
View attachment 10909

Some may say the funnel idea may not provide enough pressure if you run the engines longer than normal, as if they were not on a hose. Not arguing that point, if it makes you feel safer you could always grab one of these drill pumps for a few bucks. Thats what I use and it does the trick.

It's getting the cooling needed from the anti freeze.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
It's getting the cooling needed from the anti freeze.
I am only bringing this up due to a discussion that was had concerning those expandable hoses. Many members on here seemed to believe that the expandable hose did not provide enough pressure to circulate the water through the engine and that a normal hose was needed/recommended. This is what made me think of the funnel as not having enough pressure, regardless you are probably not running the engine long enough anyway that any damage could occur.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will always put a gallon or 2 thru the water boxes every winter, better safe then sorry. Ballast pump hooked to garden hose in bucket provides plenty of water pressure. Done deal in 10 minutes.