• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone Mounted a Minn Kota Talon on a FSH yet?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I have a deal finalized on a FSH Deluxe.. I plan on adding an iPilot Trolling Motor and a Talon.. I may or may not add a T-Top down the road..

So question is, has anyone mounted a Talon on their FSH yet? if so what mount did you use?

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think I have a deal finalized on a FSH Deluxe.. I plan on adding an iPilot Trolling Motor and a Talon.. I may or may not add a T-Top down the road..

So question is, has anyone mounted a Talon on their FSH yet? if so what mount did you use?
I thought of a Talon too but decided against it because:
I liked the nice clean stern of the boat without it.
It would add additional weight and I found the 190 to struggle at best.
It is an added expense which isnt needed.
The anchor feature of the minnkota riptide and ulterra keep you in one spot anyway.
Know it doesnt answer your question but things to consider.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how long does the the trolling motor using spot lock run on a pair of batteries?

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
how long does the the trolling motor using spot lock run on a pair of batteries?
I have a 36 V system dedicated to the troller and have run it for 4 hrs along with trolling with no problem. This is with a current and chop on Lake Ontario so motor working the entire time. I have never had a battery life issue but have also not monitored how much charge was left at the end of the day either.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 36 V system dedicated to the troller and have run it for 4 hrs along with trolling with no problem. This is with a current and chop on Lake Ontario so motor working the entire time. I have never had a battery life issue but have also not monitored how much charge was left at the end of the day either.
Bottom line is you can always add the Talon later if required.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I was gonna get the Riptide Terrova 80 24V 60", What I may do for the shallow water anchor is use some of those spikes, that way If I get on the fish I can turn the spot lock on, spike the ass end of the boat down and turn the Trolling motor off to conserve batteries..

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, I was gonna get the Riptide Terrova 80 24V 60", What I may do for the shallow water anchor is use some of those spikes, that way If I get on the fish I can turn the spot lock on, spike the ass end of the boat down and turn the Trolling motor off to conserve batteries..
I also looked at one of those micro power spikes as well as the Talon. Think the FSH might exceed the recommended weight limit on the micro power spike. Nice thing about any of the spikes (power or manual) is that you can get them out of the way when not being used.
Honestly I am mostly concerned about the power to weight ratio of this boat. I try to keep every extra pound to a minimum. I dont think the deluxe has a tower so you are already lots lighter with less drag so you may not have an issue.

jrsmitty0519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am also looking into getting a power pole, but where would it be installed?

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am also looking into getting a power pole, but where would it be installed?
They are designed for a standard transom or jack plate, of which you have neither. The micro can be mounted on the bow but the weight limit is 1,500 lbs so FSH is too heavy. Dealer will sell you anything you ask for, even if it doesnt make sense or wont work properly ( just read the forum on side imaging transducer placement.) They mount everything like it is on a standard boat, according to the installation instructions for the hardware however the FSH is far from a standard configuration for a fishing boat. I think you would need a custom mounting bracket for the power pole. You would be the first that I know of so be careful. Might not be happening for a good reason besides, now that nice clean rear casting platform has a big ol pole sticking up. Good luck.

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I mounted a micro pole. I know our boats are a bit over the rating, but I have not had any problem. Most of my use isn't in high current or rough water. I put a big backing plate on mine and it works fine. Lots of room underneath to work as well.

Attachments

Dwayne Henderson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Here is a photo of my Ultera, same as my micro pole, I just used an oversized backing plate. Unlike some of the others I've seen, I mounted the quick release plate to the boat, the fabricated the larger plater to the upper section. This set up allows me to remove the motor quickly, and only be left with the small plate on my bow. This motor is the 112lb/36 volt. I put 2 batteries forward in the locker, and the 3rd in the storage in front of the live well. I use the ram mounts to stop the bounce when I'm running, and everything is well balanced. IMG_0173.JPG

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a photo of my Ultera, same as my micro pole, I just used an oversized backing plate. Unlike some of the others I've seen, I mounted the quick release plate to the boat, the fabricated the larger plater to the upper section. This set up allows me to remove the motor quickly, and only be left with the small plate on my bow. This motor is the 112lb/36 volt. I put 2 batteries forward in the locker, and the 3rd in the storage in front of the live well. I use the ram mounts to stop the bounce when I'm running, and everything is well balanced. View attachment 59170
Good to know Dwayne. Figured it wouldnt be too bad if just holding in calm water but didnt want to try it out and be wrong. Nice.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bill Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use a pair of stick it pins in calm shallow water and will use the trolling motor to hold in wind and current. The talon is cool but pretty much ruins the back of the boat.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We use a pin also. That Talon would take 5 mph off at least. Look how low it is?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jrsmitty0519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a photo of my Ultera, same as my micro pole, I just used an oversized backing plate. Unlike some of the others I've seen, I mounted the quick release plate to the boat, the fabricated the larger plater to the upper section. This set up allows me to remove the motor quickly, and only be left with the small plate on my bow. This motor is the 112lb/36 volt. I put 2 batteries forward in the locker, and the 3rd in the storage in front of the live well. I use the ram mounts to stop the bounce when I'm running, and everything is well balanced. View attachment 59170
Yes, I have the Riptide quick release and it works nice. Where did you get the seat mounts for the Sport?