• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone own a 165 ghost?

Mark V

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi guys,
looking at the 165 ghost.
Any owner feedback or reviews out there?
Any known issues? Reliability?
Anything else I should consider at that price point?
Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's like their going back to the exciter style,

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have the 165 2015 version. I don't know how many differences there are. Overall very happy, but definitely lots of little things I could point you to if you're interested. You'd have to verify if those issues are still present in the latest model.

Mark V

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the 165 2015 version. I don't know how many differences there are. Overall very happy, but definitely lots of little things I could point you to if you're interested. You'd have to verify if those issues are still present in the latest model.
Yes, please. The more information I have the better.
I've sat in it, my only issue is the non adjustable steering wheel. I'm a bigger guy and it's tight. How difficult would it be to swap in a tilt steering wheel, or adjust this one into a higher fixed position.
Thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Well first off, my basic version came with tilt steering. So there's one difference. I could see that being difficult for tall/bigger folks.

Issues discovered:
- Cup holders had no drain holes. I punctured small holes in all but the ones on the swim platform since they empty directly on the engine.
- Drain holes in the ski locker, and on the floor beneath your knees are about an inch off the floor. Water does not drain easily. I sponge the water from the floor (takes about 10 sec) and for the ski locker it drains as the bow tilts upwards to the bilge.
- I find the forward kleat too far forward for putting a fender. So instead I tie mine to the grab handle of the passenger seating.
- Some screws were loose here and there, but I bought my boat with 22hrs on it. Went around and tightened screws all around.
- common issue is the tow hook (no wake tower) is too low for tubing, but this is the case in many boats. I bought a booster ball tow rope which solved this issue (look it up).
- swim platform seating is too low as compared to the seat deck so water accumulates behind seat cushions, I just open the hatch for 20 sec to force water to drain away.
- I didn't like the automatic bilge pump, it doesn't know when to quit and keeps turning on and not pumping when the water is almost empty. It's a quick way to drain your battery if you're not around. I connected it to the master red switch instead of directly to the battery which now allows me to turn it off when I'm away. I understand the concerns, I'm just careful depending on putting the tarp on or simply turning it on after a night of rain with no top.
- I highly recommend a tarp, not cheap but if away for a while, you can't rely on the bilge and battery, it's want will solve the problem for you. Trailer cover works well, but expensive and definitely slower to put on as compared to getting a tarp made for it with snaps.
- obviously this boat had no windshield, therefore can be very windy. Great on hot days, cold on anything else. Don't underestimate this. I keep a few goodies in the boat at all times for myself and guests.
- didn't come with a fire extinguisher, I bought and mounted mine underneath the bench seat in the thick seat plastic. Worked very well, doesn't bounce around, easily accessible and protected. And good location since if the engine is on fire, it will be difficult to reach for it if stored in the engine hatch.
- in my case, there is a very high frequency "squeal" that comes from the engine at lower rpms (about 20 to 25mph). It's annoying but older folks (I'm 35) don't seem to hear it. Probably frequency vs hearing quality as you grow older. My wife can also hear it. But I just go a little faster to avoid it. Not there at very low speeds.
- the ski locker hatch was plastic on plastic and vibrated. I bought cheap clear cabinet bumpers and stuck then around the perimeter. Solved this problem.
- the white floating sucks for keeping the boat clean. Planning on getting seadeck installed next year.

Overall, I'm very very happy with the boat. But I don't want you to think it's perfect. Lots of little things but I don't think any boat is perfect. Check for these things, weigh the pros and cons and potential solutions and make your decision.

For us, it's the perfect boat for our small lake system in Ontario, Canada. It definitely turns heads around a lot. If you're single, this will definitely help alleviate that ;)

Mark V

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm married with 2 kids lol. This would be my first power boat, we just bought a cottage on the Rideau river near Kingston, looking to just have fun with the kids, not travel anywhere with it. Have a small dock and also a boat ramp right beside the cottage, with parking spots for boats on grass. Was considering a seadoo, but I don't think my knees can handle straddling for very long, then discovered the ghost and it seems to be a great value. Love the no prop, swim deck, and seating for 5. Also, it looks like it's a blast to drive from the videos I've seen.

Any insight on the steering wheel issue? I see no competition at this price point and if I can rectify that, this will be my boat. The 2018 is now 2 tone with black at the bottom, which should help it look cleaner. I'll likely be buying next year, or possibly 2019. Hopefully they keep this model around, cause I can't afford to drop 40k cdn on a boat!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Small world. So my wife's family cottage (where I usually keep the boat) is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/SEYpamrMHLE2

Pretty close! Although it's currently in Ottawa since I was gone on vacation for a week on Lake Nipissing.

This was also my first power boat, although I was lucky to have access to boats my entire life with my parents and extended family. I'm also married and have a young daughter. Good family boat!

Everything you described is definitely bang on with the swim deck, no prop, etc. Keep in mind jet boats don't play nice with heavy weeds. Don't know how the Rideau is in your area. Light weeds not an issue. It drives like a go cart on water!

I researched this heavily, there is no competition in this boat class without going to the older sea-doo boat (or going to bigger boats). You're also lucky that there is a Scarab dealer right in Kingston! That was the one recommended to me by Scarab when I bought mine used.

We were also going to wait a year or two but then this used one came up.... couldn't pass up on it since they are rarely available used around here. In fact, I've been scanning periodically and have yet to find anything after 6 months except new.

As for the steering wheel, I don't think I can help you. The way mine is mounted, I don't see how it can be adjusted. Maybe it's worth visiting the Boat Warehouse in Kingston and talk to them about it. I know in my model, the foot plate has two different lengths for different people. That seemed to allow my taller father-in-law to have no issues trying it out. I'm 5'8", he is about 6'.

Mark V

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm here...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/River+Styx+Ln,+Kingston,+ON+K7L+4V3,+Canada/@44.3301898,-76.4186852,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cd2a8097d383df1:0x1a13d5de3a7d7fef!8m2!3d44.3331859!4d-76.4077598?hl=en

Thanks for the tip on the Booster Ball, that looks like a great product, and probably saves me buying a wake tower at some point.

Yes, Boat Warehouse is great, even their prices seem really good, they had the 2017s on for 22k, and now have the 2018 for 24k. I doubt they will budge much on those prices they seem very competitive. I am only 25 minutes from them.

This section of the Rideau is quite shallow until you get to the channel, which is about 300 feet from shore. I am concerned about the weeds, hoping slower driving till I get to the channel will help? If it does get clogged, I dont think the 165 has an auto unclog. I think you have to do the reverse trick? The weeds are not heavy though, I would say light for sure. I think it will be fine.

I have also been looking for one of these used, but there are ZERO for sale. I'd pay 15k for a 3 year old one if I could, but it is nice to have warranty on a new one as well. Hoping our dollar continues to rise so I can get an even better price in a year or two.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/kingston-on/2018-scarab-165-ghost-rotax-150hp-trailer/1289100346

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If the weeds are light, you won't have any problems. Where I was on vacation, Lake Nipissing, my parents have a cottage at the mouth of a river. The weeds are fairly thick as you come out and goes on for about 1 km. After driving through this section over and over again over the week, I noticed I had lost a few MPH when putting it at full speed (which I rarely do, way too much wind, etc.). When I took it out of the water at the end of the week, I had a small clump of weeds stuck in the grate, but nothing huge or anything. I just ripped it right off. I didn't know there was anything wrong until I maxed the speed out. Regardless, this was fairly heavy with weeds and that was the worst of it. As to speed and weeds, excellent question. In my own little logic world, it seemed better to go at speed so that the weeds get ripped up as they catch on the grate. Seemed to "work". But then again, I never tried the slow approach here since the lake is huge and I was trying to get to places.

The reverse trick does work to some degree, I used it a few times up to now and it did clear it on those few occasions. Usually you noticed a small vibration when something is clogged. That's when I did this and then it goes away. You can also just go for a swim under the boat and pull anything caught when you're at dock and happen to go swimming. Train the kids if they're old enough! That's what kids are for right? Cheap labour? Mine is 2.5 years old, I'll be training her shortly ;)

Yeah, I have Kijiji alerts and Google Alerts set up... nothing at all since I bought mine this spring. The only other one I saw was a previous year's model but new. Still very expensive. I bought mine with 22hrs on it, still had a warranty left. I'm at just over 60hrs now (I expect to be putting about 40-60 hrs per season) and it's been performing very well. Also, that swim deck is fantastic for fishing btw. Great spot to sit and cast, close to the water and you even have cup holders for your be...... I mean pop (for the Americans not in the northern half of the country, that's a soda :) ).

Mark V

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice...I never thought about fishing back there, my 5 year old loves to fish.

If you see anything interesting on the used market, shoot me a PM on here if you don't mind. I'd be buying right now, but we gotta do major cottage renos before we buy a boat. Just gonna pick up a used aluminum for now so we can tour around a bit, till we get our 165 (hopefully).

Thanks for all the info and tips! I can't think of any other questions right now, at the under 25k price point I think the 165 ghost is a tremendous value.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Sure, will do. Good luck on the renos! Always "fun". lol

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I bought a 2016 165 this Spring. Paid a little less because they had two left and were getting in the 2017s. I definitely like this boat. I had one issue with the gas gauge right off the bat - dealer told me it was installed wrong and they fixed it in a few minutes. Other than that ...no problems so far.

Luc posted a great list above. I agree with most of his comments and will add a couple:
* had same problem with cup holders - replaced them with stainless that drain. Put drain tubes in the ones that sit over the engine so they aren't dripping on my engine
* Steering wheel is a bit tight. I fit but mine does not tilt
* Bow is low and you need to be careful if moving slow and in big waves. They can easily come over the bow. Not a big deal but people can get wet. I had a larger person up front one day and kept getting waves over the front. Finally had to tell her to move to the back!
* Boat is extremely maneuverable which I love. Can drive it like a jetski if you want.
* Very easy to tow and launch.
* Fits nicely in garage
* Tow mount is low - we took up wake surfing this year and it works but I need a higher rope. Would ideally like a tower but can't stomach the Scarab price and most after markets are for bigger boats or I think they would hinder getting in and out of boat (based on how they mount). Will eventually find or modify one.
* Agree on the white floor...probably going to get mats

Mark V

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought a 2016 165 this Spring. Paid a little less because they had two left and were getting in the 2017s. I definitely like this boat. I had one issue with the gas gauge right off the bat - dealer told me it was installed wrong and they fixed it in a few minutes. Other than that ...no problems so far.

Luc posted a great list above. I agree with most of his comments and will add a couple:
* had same problem with cup holders - replaced them with stainless that drain. Put drain tubes in the ones that sit over the engine so they aren't dripping on my engine
* Steering wheel is a bit tight. I fit but mine does not tilt
* Bow is low and you need to be careful if moving slow and in big waves. They can easily come over the bow. Not a big deal but people can get wet. I had a larger person up front one day and kept getting waves over the front. Finally had to tell her to move to the back!
* Boat is extremely maneuverable which I love. Can drive it like a jetski if you want.
* Very easy to tow and launch.
* Fits nicely in garage
* Tow mount is low - we took up wake surfing this year and it works but I need a higher rope. Would ideally like a tower but can't stomach the Scarab price and most after markets are for bigger boats or I think they would hinder getting in and out of boat (based on how they mount). Will eventually find or modify one.
* Agree on the white floor...probably going to get mats
You should get one of those balls for towing.... Seems to make a huge difference.

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So I looked at those based on posts from others...see them in use with tubing but not with Wake Surfing. Made me think though...a large inflatable on back of boat might raise tow line up quite a bit. Interesting idea...

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I haven't had a chance to try the booster ball yet, wasn't boating for the past few weeks. Planning on heading to the cottage next weekend so we'll probably give it a shot assuming the air is still warm-ish. I'll report back if I do try it and let you all know how it worked but I'm pretty confident it will fix this issue. I've seen enough videos :D

Sad to say, but I've been researching winterizing the boat already. That time of the year is coming... now to decide if I want to do everything myself or just hire. :S

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah I've been thinking about the winterizing too. I have a jetski that I have always done myself - pretty easy. But...my Scarab is at the 25 hour mark when there is recommended service anyway so I think I will just let the dealer do both when I am done going out.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm here...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/River+Styx+Ln,+Kingston,+ON+K7L+4V3,+Canada/@44.3301898,-76.4186852,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cd2a8097d383df1:0x1a13d5de3a7d7fef!8m2!3d44.3331859!4d-76.4077598?hl=en

Thanks for the tip on the Booster Ball, that looks like a great product, and probably saves me buying a wake tower at some point.

Yes, Boat Warehouse is great, even their prices seem really good, they had the 2017s on for 22k, and now have the 2018 for 24k. I doubt they will budge much on those prices they seem very competitive. I am only 25 minutes from them.

This section of the Rideau is quite shallow until you get to the channel, which is about 300 feet from shore. I am concerned about the weeds, hoping slower driving till I get to the channel will help? If it does get clogged, I dont think the 165 has an auto unclog. I think you have to do the reverse trick? The weeds are not heavy though, I would say light for sure. I think it will be fine.

I have also been looking for one of these used, but there are ZERO for sale. I'd pay 15k for a 3 year old one if I could, but it is nice to have warranty on a new one as well. Hoping our dollar continues to rise so I can get an even better price in a year or two.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/kingston-on/2018-scarab-165-ghost-rotax-150hp-trailer/1289100346
Mark,

if you are considering used you should really look at a speedster 150. I had two prior to my scarab 215 and they were flawless. good deals on them as well. I had the 150hp non supercharges and I had no issued pulling tubs. same rotax engine as the scarab ghost. only downfall is the ghost is 5 person capacity as oppose to 4 on the seadoo ( I would not want more than 4 on the boat anyways)

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/speedster-150/k0l9004

LagoonaK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought a 2016 Ghost new last year. paid $19,000, came with trailer. I couldn't agree more with all the accurate statements above, spot on. I can only add watch your depth. It can go shallow but not too much. I inadvertently found myself in shallow water and sucked up a rock. Only had the boat a month or so. $700 later, new impeller and sleeve and back on the water.