• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone purchased BUDS MPI3 from powersports-diag.com?

ILPlatinumHO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm looking to purchase a candoo or buds mpi3 kit and wondering if anyone has from the site listed in the title? I'm fairly tech savvy and have been able to wrench on most of my own vehicles but I just want to make sure this site is legitimate and the software is something a weekend wrencher can utilize. I read a lot of articles from pre 2016 stating that the buds systems sold to people were hacked/pirated. If they are not legitimate I'll just continue driving a couple hours to my dealer every time I need something.

Boat has been trouble free. Now at 120 hours I got a maintenance reminder light. Seems to run fine otherwise.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with that site... BUDS is for dealers, Candoo Pro is for consumers. BUDS is the official BRP software, Candoo Pro is an aftermarket solution that does most of what a consumer needs.

I'm sure some people have gotten BUDS outside of dealers, but Candoo Pro does a very good job and no "shady business" required. candoopro.com sells them direct but they were out of stock last time I checked.

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
How did this system work for you? I just had a CEL pop up on our 195 (2019) with just 31hrs on her.

I'm loathed to haul the boat the 250 miles to the nearest scarab dealer.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It works very well. I share my hardware with multiple other owners. It's helped everyone quite a bit from diagnosing issues, to imply resetting the maintenance light.

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Well, with todays fuel costs, i can spend my money on gas to haul it to the dealership (it is under warranty) or buy this system and try to deal with it myself.

One question, the display does not bring up the fault code, but the CEL is on, I'm assuming if the code is not showing on the display it's not an active fault?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If there is an active code, it will be inside the settings. You have to go through the menus and a Fault Co menu will become available with the code. If it is no longer active, the CEL can stay on for a certain period of time. It MAY go away after a certain number of engine hours/cycles after the problem has gone away (such as P0300, aka multi misfires on cylinders), but sometimes the CEL may NOT go away and it must be reset via software. I had such a code (short circuit in fuel pump). It did not go away after more than 15h of engine run time over many outings. I had to use the software to reset it. But I've also had P0300 and that went away very quickly after replacing the old spark plugs.

Candoo Pro comes with 4 licenses. So in theory, if you have other BRP friends, you can split the cost if you trust them with the hardware. I do this with 6 people in fact. We paid for an extra two licenses on top of the 4. Pretty inexpensive in that case. Rarely needed.