• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone towing a 24’ boat with a MB ML350 or GL350 or GLE350 or bigger engine?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am shocked to find out the MB 350 4matic has a towing capacity of 7200lbs and the 450 has a 7500lbs. Not a big fan of american cars (with all due respect and no offense to anyone) but I prefer Japanese and German cars. So wondering if anyone with a MB 350 or bigger engine can share their experience towing a big heavy 24’ boat setup? Thanks in advance!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a GLE-350 and would be interested in this feedback as well. I baby the hell out of it and am not sure I want to pull a boat with it.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am shocked to find out the MB 350 4matic has a towing capacity of 7200lbs and the 450 has a 7500lbs. Not a big fan of american cars (with all due respect and no offense to anyone) but I prefer Japanese and German cars. So wondering if anyone with a MB 350 or bigger engine can share their experience towing a big heavy 24’ boat setup? Thanks in advance!
A newer (2013+) GL 350 has both the torque (turbo diesel ) and the wheelbase to be a decent towing vehicle. I’ve looked at them in the past to pull my 27ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. The GL 450/550 could probably do ok as well. The GL series has the auto-load leveling suspension If it is a big concern ask a dealer for an overnight demo as part of the deal, then tow your boat around with it.

I probably wouldn’t use a GLE as the wheelbase is too short IMO.

You might want to look at the Infiniti QX 80 or similar Nissan Armada, either of those could do the job as well. Or the Toyota Sequoia.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you @Enduro900, I am looking in the range of 2013 to 2016 likely high mIleage to keep the price down. I haven’t thought about wheelbase but wondering is the diff between ML/GLE and GL is big enough to make a big difference in towing? Would that affect stability or something else? would the trailer bounce more with shorter wheelbase?

Are there others here who are towing with MBenz ML or GL that can provide feedback on their towing experience?

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thank you @Enduro900, I am looking in the range of 2013 to 2016 likely high mIleage to keep the price down. I haven’t thought about wheelbase but wondering is the diff between ML/GLE and GL is big enough to make a big difference in towing? Would that affect stability or something else? would the trailer bounce more with shorter wheelbase?

Are there others here who are towing with MBenz ML or GL that can provide feedback on their towing experience?
The GLE wheelbase is listed at 113”

The GL is listed at 121”

I used a 2008 Navigator L (131” long wheelbase version) to tow for the last 10 years pulling a 27ft enclosed snowmobile trailer (with a 7ft interior height). Wheelbase helps with stability while towing, so a shorter wheelbase will feel more “twitchy” as you are towing, but if your not towing far/or fast (75mph+ For a few hundred miles in my case) might not be too bad (btw, my navigator L was the best family-trip vehicle.....we could load 7 people and a week’s worth of luggage no problem, and I had 275,000 mostly trouble-free miles until an old lady hit my son in a 30mph zone at a weird angle/no airbag deployment but it bent the frame so they totaled it). He needed a truck for his job so we replaced it with a Used avalanche.

Sorry I can’t give you direct advice on towing with a GLE. Maybe find a MB forum and ask on there?

Since your in MN, I’ll tell you what I was trying to do. The GL350’s have the Diesel engines and get mid 20’s in fuel economy And i need something that gets in the 20’s as i drive a lot for work....(pretty incredible mileage for a mid-size 3-row 4wd suv) and for some reason they offered the AMG body package and auto adjusting suspension in the Canada units but NOT in the US edition (they are made in AL). So I was going to import one from Canada (you can search autotrader.ca and see what I am talking about for the GL350 up there and the GL350 here). Its a beautiful looking truck with the AMG package.

My issue is I meet with clients for work, and it looks “too rich” for my job so I need to drive something more middle-class (i didn’t drive the navigator for work either, but the GL350 would have been my truck). :)

So yes technically a GLE could tow your boat based on the specs. If you are pulling for 30 miles mostly flat probably not a big deal, but personally I’d try and move into a GL if you are set on MB. But frankly with either one tell the seller its part of the deal (towing) ask to borrow it for a couple of hours, tow your boat around (assuming you can find one local that is).

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I tow with a Land Cruiser, which has a shorter wheelbase but is a little heavier than both those Mercedes, and I have zero stability issues at 75 on the highway. I think the tandem axle boat trailers are inherently pretty stable.

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with the diesel and pull my 2016 SX240 with no problem. It is the same chassis as the GLE. The suspension is basically the same. They were designed together when MB owned Jeep. I am rated at 7200# and have Quad lift. I have towed over 1000 miles in a clip and got 17.5 miles per gal. I personally don't think you will have a problem.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with the diesel and pull my 2016 SX240 with no problem. It is the same chassis as the GLE. The suspension is basically the same. They were designed together when MB owned Jeep. I am rated at 7200# and have Quad lift. I have towed over 1000 miles in a clip and got 17.5 miles per gal. I personally don't think you will have a problem.
Ironically I almost started a thread “Is anyone towing a 24ft boat with a Diesel Grand Cherokee” as i am thinking about getting one as my Navigator L was just totaled, and for work now I can’t drive anything unless it gets reasonable mpg, which about my only choice that makes sense is the GC Diesels.

What are you getting when not towing? I’ve heard people can hit 30mpg on long flat highway drives.

Also, are you having any issues now that Jeep was forced to change the software from the emissions settlement?

Thx

ChrisK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my AR240 with a 2019 Q7 which Audi rates at 7700 lbs towing. I'm only towing a few miles on local roads but haven't had any problems on the road or at the ramp. Haven't had the chance yet to tow on the highway or any great distance. I try to give myself plenty of room to stop and I don't do track starts at the lights. Once I'm moving I don't feel any squirllyness or pulling. I would like to add a wireless backup camera either permanently on the trailer or suction on the transom mostly so I can see how close people are tailgating me.

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife has a 2018 GLE350. I tried it once, and will never do it again. It felt sketchy as hell!

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My wife has a 2018 GLE350. I tried it once, and will never do it again. It felt sketchy as hell!
Wooow, that not good @sfadchi

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am going to continue my hunt, a few good options to consider such as the Sequoia and the Audi. Was hoping a 2013-2015 MB ML or GL 350 or 450 might do the trick but will have to find one and then ask the dealer to take the boat for a spin and go down to the ramp before winter hits.

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ironically I almost started a thread “Is anyone towing a 24ft boat with a Diesel Grand Cherokee” as i am thinking about getting one as my Navigator L was just totaled, and for work now I can’t drive anything unless it gets reasonable mpg, which about my only choice that makes sense is the GC Diesels.

What are you getting when not towing? I’ve heard people can hit 30mpg on long flat highway drives.

Also, are you having any issues now that Jeep was forced to change the software from the emissions settlement?

Thx
[/QUOT
Sorry about not getting back with you sooner, I was out of town. As for as the mileage I get 30 to 31 on highway. Last summer on my 7000 mile trip I averaged 30.5. I also have a GDE tune with allows me to run distilled water instead of DEF. I live in Al and don't have to worry about below freezing for a extended time. If you go to the Green Diesel Engineering web site you will see how much more torque and HP you get.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez has experience towing with a GL. He can tell you more about it, but until he chimes in I can testifies that he used a Ram to tow his sx240.

@swatski and @Julian used to tow a 240 with a diesel Audi Q7 and had zero complaints.
@swastki isnow using a land cruiser for his 240and he loves it. I considered get a land cruiser myself, but I opted to get 2 F150s instead.

@MrMoose used to have a Durango I believe and had no issues. He eventually switched to Nissan Armada and he is very happy with its towing.

I think it boiling down if the vehicle is meant as tow vehicle or vehicle that you will want to also tow with. In the first case I will stick with pick up truck. Cheapest option for a good tow vehicle. If you need an SUV that can also tow your boat then the GL and other soft SUVs will do fine.

as per the American cars comments I am not so sure your worry is valid. Now days most car makers make good cars and you plenty of recalls on Toyotas and HoNDAs. At the end of the day they might not be the sexiest thing on the road, but sure as well they can tow

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I considered get a land cruiser myself, but I opted to get 2 F150s instead.
I know you’re not joking but this is very funny. That really puts it in perspective.
At least if I ever find myself in some type of long term safari or third world desert conflict I guess I’ll be glad I got the cruiser...

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Dodge Durango falls in this category as well but is the longer wheel base the one item I notice the most is the tow package has nivomat load leveling rear shocks. Any one that has towed and has added air bags will know what a difference this makes . These boats are set up out of the factory very tongue heavy when your suspension is compressed 60% of the way and you hit a bump the front end starts to feel very loose . Besides the tow weight check the tongue rate when I see people towing with the suspension crushed I know they are doing a white knuckle tow everything feels and rides incorrectly. When yamaha ships the boats I think they set the trailer to the best way to load the on the freight truck there is a huge thread on tongue weight and how disproportionate it is to the boat weight . To correct this members have moved the the wench holder back and some have even shifted the axles forward or both. Shore lander is mass producer and they do some sketchy things like shipping bias ply tires for a trailer that’s rated to have radials , the galvanized trailer comes with a light harness that has four connectors that dissolve in salt water within two years of use . It may even be Shorlander that changes the placement when they ship the trailers to yamaha to fit more on there freight trailer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez has experience towing with a GL. He can tell you more about it, but until he chimes in I can testifies that he used a Ram to tow his sx240.

@swatski and @Julian used to tow a 240 with a diesel Audi Q7 and had zero complaints.
@swastki isnow using a land cruiser for his 240and he loves it. I considered get a land cruiser myself, but I opted to get 2 F150s instead.

@MrMoose used to have a Durango I believe and had no issues. He eventually switched to Nissan Armada and he is very happy with its towing.

I think it boiling down if the vehicle is meant as tow vehicle or vehicle that you will want to also tow with. In the first case I will stick with pick up truck. Cheapest option for a good tow vehicle. If you need an SUV that can also tow your boat then the GL and other soft SUVs will do fine.

as per the American cars comments I am not so sure your worry is valid. Now days most car makers make good cars and you plenty of recalls on Toyotas and HoNDAs. At the end of the day they might not be the sexiest thing on the road, but sure as well they can tow
I now tow with a Q7 3.0, tows fine, but they reduced the size of the gas tank from the diesel I used to have....that was stupid! I hear they did it to improve gas mileage (less weight). MPG is 10.5....which sucks compared to the TDI at 14.6 (70 mph). So my only complaint is with a 20 gallon tank I have to stop more often.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know you’re not joking but this is very funny. That really puts it in perspective.
At least if I ever find myself in some type of long term safari or third world desert conflict I guess I’ll be glad I got the cruiser...
Indeed. The ride is nicer too. I had to put $2,000 of sound dampening material on the F150 and about 30 hours of labour, so I can have talk in the cabin. Before that with towing mirrors & semiaggresive tires it was unbearable in the cabin.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
This thread kind of has me bummed. I was really getting excited to get a ml350, but now not so sure

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This thread kind of has me bummed. I was really getting excited to get a ml350, but now not so sure
Gas version is a little under powered and might not be ideal, but it should tow a 19' ok.

Diesel version would tow any Yamaha. It weighs as much as a 1/2 ton truck and the diesel has 455ft-lbs of torque.