• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone towing with a BMW X5?

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As the title says, curious if anyone is towing with this. There's a 2013 xdrive35d for sale nearby, 90k miles for about $15k. I've got an 07 Tundra and an 09 camry that both barley get driven. Just had a baby so thinking of selling the big truck with big wheels and the small car for something more practical that can also tow the 232.

Thoughts?

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since you haven’t received much in the way of feedback, I’d check out a BMW forum. Maybe bimmerfest. The diesel shouldn’t have issue pulling the boat. The shorter wheelbase might make it more of a challenge when towing long distances vs the Tundra you currently have.

Also, does that x5 have a hitch? From what I have seen, it can be close to a grand or more if you go OEM to add a hitch and wiring to an X5 (I was considering one a few years ago).

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since you haven’t received much in the way of feedback, I’d check out a BMW forum. Maybe bimmerfest. The diesel shouldn’t have issue pulling the boat. The shorter wheelbase might make it more of a challenge when towing long distances vs the Tundra you currently have.

Also, does that x5 have a hitch? From what I have seen, it can be close to a grand or more if you go OEM to add a hitch and wiring to an X5 (I was considering one a few years ago).
Thanks, just posted last night so I'll give it some time. I've looked elsewhere but curious about this groups feedback as I'm sure someone is doing it. There is not a hitch on it, I don't necessarily care about OEM, I can get a 6000lb class 3 installed with parts and wiring for about $300.

My Tundra SUCKS towing, it's got a few issues. Just did a bunch of maintenance on it so hoping that fixed the issues, just haven't towed with it since. Either way, big truck isn't really practical anymore and we only tow about 15-20 miles to the lake.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sure you know this, but coming from a pair of Toyota... Are you fathoming the amount of reliability and upkeep an repairs a BMW will need? It's like... Insane compared to a toyota.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm sure you know this, but coming from a pair of Toyota... Are you fathoming the amount of reliability and upkeep an repairs a BMW will need? It's like... Insane compared to a toyota.
True. If my wife didn't lover her minivan so much we'd go the route of sell the truck and van and grab a larger SUV for a tow vehicle. I just can't justify TWO large passenger vehicles and no car for what'll be a 40 mile back and forth once remote work ends.

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Keep Tundra. Having owned many german cars, I dont miss them. If you decide on the X5 immediately update the radiator.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As the title says, curious if anyone is towing with this. There's a 2013 xdrive35d for sale nearby, 90k miles for about $15k. I've got an 07 Tundra and an 09 camry that both barley get driven. Just had a baby so thinking of selling the big truck with big wheels and the small car for something more practical that can also tow the 232.
SUV's can tow just fine if they have the rating to do so. The short wheelbase means they wiggle and need a little more steering input, but towing properly isn't an issue. The biggest problem can be the soft suspensions that causes rear end sag with a heavy trailer tongue. My boat came from the factory improperly adjusted for the 212s - about 400 lbs. I had to move the winch tower back 2.5 inches to get the boat transom at the end of the bunks and slide the axles forward about 6 inches to get to 5% per Shorelander's specs - about 250 lbs for my boat/trailer setup, and now the SUV doesn't sag and the trailer rides level. Tows better too.

Personally I won't buy a BMW or M-B as I don't feel you get as much bang for your buck. And that older X5 is getting to the age where it may need some costly maintenance. Perhaps a newer and smaller truck or SUV?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did some fact checking.

BMW X5 is rated at 5,952 lb and has a 115in wheelbase.

For reference

Tahoe (highly regarded as a good tow vehicle) has a tow rating of 7,600 lb and a wheelbase of 121in

Durango has a tow rating of 6,200lb and a wheelbase of 120in

By comparison the X5 should be just fine. I would check on the BMW Forums and see what those guys are towing with the X5. That will be your best feedback.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Durango is rated up to like 8600 pounds. The new tow and go package on the r/t or the srt or Hellcat versions are rated crazy high.

Besides the point though. I don't think X5's issues will be towing.... It's that it's got a lot of miles and is an out of warranty German vehicle, lol.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hope it's fine since I just installed my Stealth hitch yesterday on my X5M.
20210109_154302.jpg
20201221_051131.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suspect that won't have issues with having the power to pull the boat, heh.
Lol. Also, I will not tow much since the boat is on a lift on our lake, but need the option and a way pull it out for cleaning.

foozed

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I had a 2015 X5 with the v8 and it was one of the best tow vehicles I ever had on a 23ft sx230. I know it sounds and looks like it wouldn’t but it wasn’t too far from how it feels towing with my 2021 Yukon Denali.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks all for the replies and info. I'm still considering it, but thinking we may go in the direction of a Toyota Sequoia instead. Wife likes it and may budge on getting rid of the van in exchange.