• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone with Lawn Sprinkler Experience?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have a old sprinkler system that has manual turn on valves. I want to convert this to an automated system. I have been looking at this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rachio-8-zone-2nd-generation-smart-sprinkler-controller-white/5220100.p?skuId=5220100

I am not worried about running wires across the yard.. I can do that. Where I am more concerned is how to accomplish this. Can I just replace my manual levers with an electric valve? Maybe something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Bird-3-4-in-FPT-In-Line-Valve-CP075/202078357

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe your current valves have a spot for a solenoid? You idea will work. Id go with commercial rated valves like Hunter or irritrol (sp?). I have 10 zones and am replacing junk with commercial rated stuffed all the time.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Do you have any links? My current system only has 3 or 4 sprinklers for the front only... so price isn't much of a factor. If those goes smooth I will install a system for the backyard, I already having piping back there I can tap into as well.

For wiring, can I just use some generic 18/2?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've had rainbird valves running in my yard for 8 years (since I bought the house...and some # of years before that), and I've only had to replace one in 8 years. I didn't install it, but have maintained it, and yes it is that simple. Install the valves, run the wire back to the control box and off you go! You'll want some valve boxes to put the valves in so that IF you have to replace/mess with them you can.

If you are considering added more zones in the future....run the wires once and just leave them in the box closest to where you may add a zone (like a drop zone).

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My beer consumption gets automatically converted to lawn watering with out any complex wiring or timers. Im pretty sure this system will last as long as I do.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd call a guy to do it. My Rainbird system is going on 11 years old now. I used to replace heads and solenoids myself, but I found a local sprinkler guy that I call every Spring. The guy comes out tests my system, replaces bad valves and removes fault codes in the box, raises sprinkler heads as required and it usually costs around $500. So worth the money...

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My beer consumption gets automatically converted to lawn watering with out any complex wiring or timers. Im pretty sure this system will last as long as I do.
I do that too but I have a rainbird system. My wife asks me what I'm doing. I saw watering the lawn. She says I thought it was automatic. My reply is " I want to make sure the little bugger is doing its job. Its like a city job, I'm supervising!!!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'd call a guy to do it. My Rainbird system is going on 11 years old now. I used to replace heads and solenoids myself, but I found a local sprinkler guy that I call every Spring. The guy comes out tests my system, replaces bad valves and removes fault codes in the box, raises sprinkler heads as required and it usually costs around $500. So worth the money...
I just have a problem paying people for labor, especially when at this point it is only two valves that I need to change.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just have a problem paying people for labor, especially when at this point it is only two valves that I need to change.
Me too, but i value my free time at 100/hr. If it cost more I'll diy . Sometimes i diy when i don't trust anyone.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Me too, but i value my free time at 100/hr. If it cost more I'll diy . Sometimes i diy when i don't trust anyone.
I need to get to the point in life that I have updated my time value to 100/hr lol.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to get to the point in life that I have updated my time value to 100/hr lol.
Not necessarily those of us who value our free time at that rate or higher normally means we have so little of it we have to value it that high or we wouldn't have any free time lol.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't say I'm boujee, but there are certain things I have learned that are worth paying the labor on. Like brake jobs. I used to do these myself. Not anymore, it's too cheap to just let someone else do it in 1/4 of the time. I just mopped all of our hardwood floors because I don't believe in paying someone to clean my house. My experience with sprinkler systems are they are tricky, there are lots of tricks to do it quicker and better, you will probably waste numerous hours going back and forth to Lowe's or Home Depot. The guy I pay $500 spends about 6 hours in my yard. His truck is loaded with valves, fittings, wire, everything he needs to just knock it out. Keep in mind I have a corner lot with 14 zones. There are literally 20 pop up sprinkler heads that are between the street and sidewalk.

P.S. I also do all my own yard work, as I consider it a workout so why pay someone, but I still won't touch those damn sprinklers!!

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Somebody with a lot of money once explained to me how to value my time and it was very simple.
Him- how much do they charge for a car wash?
Me- about $30
Him- how long would it take you to wash your car?
Me- about 1 1/2 hours
Him- do you make more or less than $30 in an hour and a half? That will tell you if it’s worth paying or DIY.
I have never washed another vehicle in 15 years!!
He did add that if it’s something you enjoy doing, then take it as a stress relief and DIY.

Hope it makes sense

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I love washing cars!
Must not own a truck lol. I HATE washing my truck, don't mind washing my Charger at all though. It is a several hour ordeal to properly wash the truck.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got an excursion, Jeep, mustang and a crown Vic. I don't wash my wife's minivan. She can run it through the carwash.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You need to have a valve box close to your sprinkler control with your electric valves in it. The wires just run from each valve to the controller, then PVC from your valve to each station. The picture shows basic configuration. My valve box is located within a few feet of my controller, the wires go through the exterior wall to the controller.

2018-04-09_10-38-23.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, most municipalities require back flow valves in sprinkler systems .....and some require they are inspected yearly (robbery)....

https://www.irrigationtutorials.com/irrigation-backflow-preventers/#why

You should have a backflow preventer on your irrigation system if your water comes from a “potable” (drinkable) source (see next paragraph.) If your irrigation water source is considered potable, then in most places it is illegal to not have the proper local authority-approved type of backflow preventer on your irrigation system. If your water source is non-potable, you generally are not required by law to use a backflow preventer (but not always – some jurisdiction even require them for non-potable water like recycled, reclaimed, and gray water sources.)

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would install one anyway they are not expensive and just the right thing to do.