• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 192 - Starboard Addition of Access Hatch

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks to @Joe Covelli's post on adding a STBD access hatch for more storage & easier access to electronics/cables.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx192-add-access-hatch-to-the-helm-compartment.2869/

Here is my write-up of installing on our new 2015 AR192.

First, start off with the hatch: T.H.Marine-HDS-1317-2-DP (avg cost is $70-75)
You'll need 4200 sealant, a device to cut the fiberglass (I used a rotozip), stainless steel screws/washers/nylon lock nuts (I bought the big $119 kit from West Marine), blue painters tape, half-round file (Harbor Freight ! :) ), level & a black sharpie.

IMG_0971.JPG

Step 1:

I wanted the new STBD hatch to be approx the same distance back from the bow as the factory port hatch. It came out to about 6" to the edge of the port hatch.
IMG_0977.JPG

Next, I needed to take into consideration where the hole needed to be PLUS the edge of the new hatch. that came out to about 1 1/4"

IMG_0976.JPG

So, that means the forward edge of my hole should be about 7 1/4" from the seat edge (dimple edge like shown above in first picture). I measures the height of the bottom edge of the port hatch, added the additional 1 1/4" and determined the bottom edge of my proposed hole location. Then I took the template (part of the box, see first pic above), taped up the template (leveling).

IMG_0979.JPG

Traced around template with sharpie and then cut out (scariest part....)

IMG_0980.JPG
Note: cut the corners in a little and polish up with file. If you follow template exactly, you will need to use machine screws and washers in the corners.

IMG_0986.JPG
Remove blue painters tape
File and dry test fit.
Mark screw holes with sharpie.
Drill pilot holes (smaller than screws if using tapping, larger if using machine with nylon lock nuts)
Apply sealant (don't use too much :) )
Screw in hatch

Ta Da!

Finished Install.JPG

In my opinion this should be included from the factory. It adds much needed storage and easier access to your electronics.

Plus, having the hatch allows easy access to the next item installed...the sub-fuse panel :)

IMG_1005.JPG

^^^ This is another write-up..coming soon :)

Thanks and hope you enjoyed the write-up

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. This is an incredibly useful mod. I am surprised that Yamaha does not include a hatch from the factory.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up and pics!

Only hint to add: if you are using tapping screws, it would be good to also use a countersink on the holes before putting in the screws to minimize chipping of the fiberglass. I learned this one the hard way installing my antenna...

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No need, regular pan heads go through the holes along the frame of the hatch. Just pre-drill holes as normal with a slightly smaller but.image.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great @ArmyChief well done. I know what you mean when you say "cutting the hole" was the "scariest part". I'm sure it felt awesome when you fit the new cover in that huge hole and it fit perfectly!!! WHEW!! ;)

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol, I'm very handy, been in the maintenance field for 30 years....even the wife was worried. However, the first weekend out afterwards...she LOVES having the extra room :)

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This will for sure be on my next to do list! I wanted to do it this year but ran out of time before putting the boat in the slip.
@ArmyChief Will the 13x24 fit?

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ArmyChief Will the 13x24 fit?
I think you can get 7" more without an issue. I'll measure from the inside when I get home. However, not sure it's needed or would be beneficial. If you look at my pic of the installed sub fuse panel inside. If the hatch were 7" higher, all you'd see is the back of the wiring. Not to mention I think I like having the extra fiberglass for structural support.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Looks great. Thanks for the write up. Going to do this soon.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @ArmyChief because of the included pictures I added this to the FAQ list

Joe Covelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks to @Joe Covelli's post on adding a STBD access hatch for more storage & easier access to electronics/cables.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx192-add-access-hatch-to-the-helm-compartment.2869/

Here is my write-up of installing on our new 2015 AR192.

First, start off with the hatch: T.H.Marine-HDS-1317-2-DP (avg cost is $70-75)
You'll need 4200 sealant, a device to cut the fiberglass (I used a rotozip), stainless steel screws/washers/nylon lock nuts (I bought the big $119 kit from West Marine), blue painters tape, half-round file (Harbor Freight ! :) ), level & a black sharpie.

View attachment 23433

Step 1:

I wanted the new STBD hatch to be approx the same distance back from the bow as the factory port hatch. It came out to about 6" to the edge of the port hatch.
View attachment 23430

Next, I needed to take into consideration where the hole needed to be PLUS the edge of the new hatch. that came out to about 1 1/4"

View attachment 23431

So, that means the forward edge of my hole should be about 7 1/4" from the seat edge (dimple edge like shown above in first picture). I measures the height of the bottom edge of the port hatch, added the additional 1 1/4" and determined the bottom edge of my proposed hole location. Then I took the template (part of the box, see first pic above), taped up the template (leveling).

View attachment 23434

Traced around template with sharpie and then cut out (scariest part....)

View attachment 23435
Note: cut the corners in a little and polish up with file. If you follow template exactly, you will need to use machine screws and washers in the corners.

View attachment 23436
Remove blue painters tape
File and dry test fit.
Mark screw holes with sharpie.
Drill pilot holes (smaller than screws if using tapping, larger if using machine with nylon lock nuts)
Apply sealant (don't use too much :) )
Screw in hatch

Ta Da!

View attachment 23437

In my opinion this should be included from the factory. It adds much needed storage and easier access to your electronics.

Plus, having the hatch allows easy access to the next item installed...the sub-fuse panel :)

View attachment 23438

^^^ This is another write-up..coming soon :)

Thanks and hope you enjoyed the write-up

Good job Army Chief, your install came out perfect. Enjoy the extra storage.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No need, regular pan heads go through the holes along the frame of the hatch. Just pre-drill holes as normal with a slightly smaller but.View attachment 23459
Do you have any close-up images with the door closed.?
I curious how close the white from the after market hatch matches the interior gel coat?

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A close-up of the color match would be great if not too much trouble.
I've found that the same hatch manufacturer TH-Marine also offers some fairly small glove compartment boxes as well.
I'm considering installing the same hatch as yours (maybe slightly lowered) and then the small glove compartment above it if space allows.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One day when the newness wears off my boat, I'd like to do this mod. It should have come this was from the factory.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Two more questions about this mod...

1. Do you think there is room above the new hatch to horiztonally install a 7x14 glove compartment matching hatch?
2. Really like the look of the hatch door. Is there a size from same manuf to maybe replace factory port-side door?

OptiLee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wondering if there would be this kind of space under the helm for the 190...I like this idea, a lot!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length