• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR/SX 240 vs 242 Limited/S

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I have seen quite a few posts on different for sale ads on here and other sites of people selling their 240 for a 242. Just wondering what people like so much more about them to make them want to make the switch after dropping lots of time/money into customizing their "old" boat.

I was pretty dead set on a AR230 or 240. Now I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet early and try to get a 242Limited S?
- I can see the jump from 230 to 240 or 242 for the bigger newer engines... but I'm just not getting the 240 to 242 when all I can really tell is that they are a bit "classier" and don't know if I'm missing something other than just screwing some butt pads to the rear deck lounge/swim deck area??? Just to be clear I'M NOT KNOCKING the 242s, I just want some more opinions before I drop a metric sh*t ton (for me) of money... lol

As far as my plans for use: Local "big" lakes (Lake Anna,VA and Smith Mountain Lake, VA), some ICW probably, James and Potomac Rivers/Chesapeake Bay...... And last but not least HOPEFULLY BIMINI in July if I can get all of this sorted out in enough time to get some good hours in familiarizing myself with the boat before the trip!!

Anyone like @DiverB @blacksapphirez or anyone else with first hand knowledge PLEASE feel free to chime in...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think you will see a ton of people going from similar year Ar to a similar year limited s. What you are seeing a lot of now is upgrading boat generations or going from an SX/AR 240 to a 242 limited E series boat. There are several changes over the SX/AR models to the limited S E serries the two biggest being the upgraded tower and Bimini top but electronic throttle versus cable throttle is what motivates most to make the jump. If you see someone selling a 230 or a 2010-2014 model year boat the are making a change to a new generation model the 2015+ boats have major changes over both of those generation boats. The changes from an SX/AR 240 in current generation model really don't warrant an upgrade to a regular version limited model if you already have a SX/AR model just the E series does.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have seen quite a few posts on different for sale ads on here and other sites of people selling their 240 for a 242. Just wondering what people like so much more about them to make them want to make the switch after dropping lots of time/money into customizing their "old" boat.

I was pretty dead set on a AR230 or 240. Now I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet early and try to get a 242Limited S?
- I can see the jump from 230 to 240 or 242 for the bigger newer engines... but I'm just not getting the 240 to 242 when all I can really tell is that they are a bit "classier" and don't know if I'm missing something other than just screwing some butt pads to the rear deck lounge/swim deck area??? Just to be clear I'M NOT KNOCKING the 242s, I just want some more opinions before I drop a metric sh*t ton (for me) of money... lol

As far as my plans for use: Local "big" lakes (Lake Anna,VA and Smith Mountain Lake, VA), some ICW probably, James and Potomac Rivers/Chesapeake Bay...... And last but not least HOPEFULLY BIMINI in July if I can get all of this sorted out in enough time to get some good hours in familiarizing myself with the boat before the trip!!

Anyone like @DiverB @blacksapphirez or anyone else with first hand knowledge PLEASE feel free to chime in...
As @robert843 pointed out, 2015+ 240/242s MY are completely redesigned: new "keeled" hull that's longer and cuts through chop a lot better, w/tons of sound deadening, wet compartments in the stern, hinged seats, Connext system with new electronics w/joystick control, forward swept tower etc. etc.
The AR models are still, conceivably, best value within the MY albeit the AR tower itself has some design issues with the locking mechanism.
E-series have electronic throttles (fly-by-wire), and the large tower/bimini - which turned out to be a very robust design.

--

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As @robert843 pointed out, 2015+ 240/242s MY are completely redesigned: new "keeled" hull that's longer and cuts through chop a lot better, w/tons of sound deadening, wet compartments in the stern, hinged seats, Connext system with new electronics w/joystick control, forward swept tower etc. etc.
The AR models are still, conceivably, best value within the MY albeit the AR tower itself has some design issues with the locking mechanism.
E-series have electronic throttles (fly-by-wire), and the large tower/bimini - which turned out to be a very robust design.

--
Oh yeah I forgot about the sound deadening was a big thing on them. I did remember about the larger Connext screen 10" I think? I actually hadn't noticed that the bimini was that much bigger, but I wasn't paying too much attention I guess.

I kinda forgot about the E-Series ting too. I was on one at the boat show today (not running obviously) and it felt a bit odd not dragging a cable, but was super smooth!!! Has there been any reports about there being lag in the new system? Like in some cars (my Grand Cherokee) there's a ton of lag that FCA built into the system for "safety"? I also wonder if there has been any or will be any talk about tuning options on the newer generation ones?

Thanks for the info.... BACK TO THE YOUTUBES to figure all of this stuff out.... I have a feeling that I'm going to spend a lot more than I had originally planned for!!! FML

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
while you are watching videos please take some time to watch this one too
there are certain moments that you want to pause. For example, try pausing at 1:14. It it make you think twice about what you are doing....

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My first jet boat was 14ft long. My second was 18ft long. My third and current is 24 ft long. All obviously major jumps over the other. Once you have the space you need, 4 stroke engines, and tower vs towerless the rest fades into less important than you thought. Yeah the 10 inch screen, big Bimini and some other thing are cool but not cool enough for me to eat depreciation and sales tax. Also all those mods we do take time and money. My next boat will be in a completely class but that is years down the road.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had thought about going to more of a cruiser type boat but the I really think the Yamaha is going to be the be the best all around boat that I'm looking for. All I really "need" is a 23 or 24 foot and a tower, reliability, and I prefer the 1.8Ls And prefer not to have Connext since I hold ZERO trust in any electronics that would be crucial to operation. That being said, IF I find a really good deal on something clean with Connext I wont pass it up. lol There's just too many choices!!!! hahaha

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
while you are watching videos please take some time to watch this one too
there are certain moments that you want to pause. For example, try pausing at 1:14. It it make you think twice about what you are doing....

I don't see anything special at the 1:14 mark what am I missing or you talking about the 1:05-1:10 mark where his wife and daughter say it's not that bad. I know your trip last year got much worse as you guys went on this video show what I truly believe to be the normal conditions coming out of ft lauderdale heading to Bimimi.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@robert843, I think hes talking about the big rollers, I had to watch it a couple times to realize how big they were. While they would be fun for 20-30 minutes, 6-8 hours if it would get a little old. lol

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, I think hes talking about the big rollers, I had to watch it a couple times to realize how big they were. While they would be fun for 20-30 minutes, 6-8 hours if it would get a little old. lol
I agree its not fun conditions but that truly seems to be about what to expect leaving Ft Lauderdale. One thing these guys didn't have going for them was leaving Ft Lauderdale it usually looks like that but typically gets progressively a little better the further away from the coast you get from what I understand they never got that relief.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't see anything special at the 1:14 mark what am I missing or you talking about the 1:05-1:10 mark where his wife and daughter say it's not that bad. I know your trip last year got much worse as you guys went on this video show what I truly believe to be the normal conditions coming out of ft lauderdale heading to Bimimi.
well!! it is all about perspective I guess. You, Andy, Isaac etall are immune to the experiences a lake person will live while crossing in those conditions. Minute 1:14 for Airborne Isaac is an photoop opportunity, minute 1:14 for for the guy with 20 hours of total boating experience is an " oh shit moment!!!"
the reason why I point this out is because I saw all the cool videos and I though, piece of cake. It turns out I had no business in there. off course knowing what I know today, I would have still gone, but that is just plain stupid.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well!! it is all about perspective I guess. You, Andy, Isaac etall are immune to the experiences a lake person will live while crossing in those conditions. Minute 1:14 for Airborne Isaac is an photoop opportunity, minute 1:14 for for the guy with 20 hours of total boating experience is an " oh shit moment!!!"
the reason why I point this out is because I saw all the cool videos and I though, piece of cake. It turns out I had no business in there. off course knowing what I know today, I would have still gone, but that is just plain stupid.
You gotta get the experience somewhere so i def wouldn't say you didn't belong out there. Living on the Coast since 1991 and surfing since 1995 may have made me a little immune especially the surfing part as I have been out surfing on days where I wouldn't even consider taking a 35 ft boat out in. Biggest problem with video is it never does it justice I know the conditions in Bruce's video suck to be in even I hate it too but nothing worth having comes easy :).

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You gotta get the experience somewhere so i def wouldn't say you didn't belong out there. Living on the Coast since 1991 and surfing since 1995 may have made me a little immune especially the surfing part as I have been out surfing on days where I wouldn't even consider taking a 35 ft boat out in. Biggest problem with video is it never does it justice I know the conditions in Bruce's video suck to be in even I hate it too but nothing worth having comes easy :).
this is what I meant by 1:14 and only one correction here. " nothing worth having comes without soiling your pants".
Thanks God for adult diapers and 2018 x2, fingers crossed.

Attachments

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@robert843 @swatski Is it ONLY the 242 LSE that has the bigger Bimini Top or do all of the 2015s? It's so hard to find good MY/model comparisons online... And I'm at work, so I have to be somewhat sneaky about it. hahaha

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 @swatski Is it ONLY the 242 LSE that has the bigger Bimini Top or do all of the 2015s? It's so hard to find good MY/model comparisons online... And I'm at work, so I have to be somewhat sneaky about it. hahaha
Just the Limited E Series and X model boats do the regular limited S has the same bimini top as the AR240

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JeffVans as much as I was initially totally opposed to those E/X towers with the huge bimini - reasoning those may not withstand my style of boating well... Consequently, opted for the AR boat in 2016 MY - and have come to regret it bitterly! The AR tower collapsed on me en route to Bimini last year while none of the (eight or so?) E/X boats that made the crossing thus far reported any issues with the big tower!

Anyway - something to keep in mind, those huge new X towers appear to be really well engineered.

--