• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 2014 weird comm error

Bviasource

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help me. I been reading the forums and trying what has been suggested but to no avail. I can be cruising along and all of a sudden the boat will slow down abruptly to a crawl , the engine will make noise and run rough so I'm thinking it's not running on all four cylinders, the engine check light and engine comm error appear. The last two months all I had to do was shut off the engine and it would start back up and it would be good again. The problem is getting worse as now it's happening more often and once I cut the engine off the boat won't have any power to start again but I have power for lights blowers ect. I have to turn off the battery then back on and it will start right up and run fine. I have no yamaha dealers near me that work on jet boats so I'm screwed for professional help. I'm not getting any codes. I did put in a transducer replacement wheel ( for speed sensor) and when I did that I must have broke the depth finder because it stopped working the same day. This problem started a month after that repair and I have had a dead battery twice since then.
So since this engine comm error came up I changed the battery, cables, oil and plugs. These are the things I found in threads here but made no difference. Is it possible that the transducer is cause all my headaches?? See the video of the comm error

All help is much appreciated

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know our motors are finicky about battery charge levels, and spark plugs. since you have changed out both of those maybe check your ground wires. Make sure your new battery is connected properly with ALL wires. Back track to the transducer, it will get power when the boat is on so your battery leak could be from there.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help me. I been reading the forums and trying what has been suggested but to no avail. I can be cruising along and all of a sudden the boat will slow down abruptly to a crawl , the engine will make noise and run rough so I'm thinking it's not running on all four cylinders, the engine check light and engine comm error appear. The last two months all I had to do was shut off the engine and it would start back up and it would be good again. The problem is getting worse as now it's happening more often and once I cut the engine off the boat won't have any power to start again but I have power for lights blowers ect. I have to turn off the battery then back on and it will start right up and run fine. I have no yamaha dealers near me that work on jet boats so I'm screwed for professional help. I'm not getting any codes. I did put in a transducer replacement wheel ( for speed sensor) and when I did that I must have broke the depth finder because it stopped working the same day. This problem started a month after that repair and I have had a dead battery twice since then.
So since this engine comm error came up I changed the battery, cables, oil and plugs. These are the things I found in threads here but made no difference. Is it possible that the transducer is cause all my headaches?? See the video of the comm error

All help is much appreciated
I had engine comm errors last year after taking the boat out of storage (covered under a tree in a high humidity environment) and it was due to poor battery terminal connections.

I cleaned them up and cleared the codes. Look up some of my old threads were I posted a copy of the procedure on how to clear the codes. If not, I could probably post it again.

Bviasource

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had engine comm errors last year after taking the boat out of storage (covered under a tree in a high humidity environment) and it was due to poor battery terminal connections.

I cleaned them up and cleared the codes. Look up some of my old threads were I posted a copy of the procedure on how to clear the codes. If not, I could probably post it again.
Hello,

Thanks for responding I do believe I read you post. I replaced the battery and cleaned the heck out of the batt terms. Still have the problem. When you were getting the comm alert did the engine have restricted power and sound like it's not running on all cyclinders? Any info is much appreciated

Thanks

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hello,

Thanks for responding I do believe I read you post. I replaced the battery and cleaned the heck out of the batt terms. Still have the problem. When you were getting the comm alert did the engine have restricted power and sound like it's not running on all cyclinders? Any info is much appreciated

Thanks
@Bviasource, my engine comm error was tricky. I was able to start the engine by tricking the ecu and it was rough.

These ecus are sensitive to voltage drops (that's why it's essential to have good battery connections). If I were you, I'd clear any ecu codes like the document I posted says. Then I'd go to the battery terminals and try to rotate them while snug in order to make sure the metals "dig" into each other making a good connection and then start it up. Get new terminals as well.

I remember being at the dealer with the service manager, when I was having the issue, when I just went to the battery and rotated both terminals. Boat cranked up fine with no more issues. Or was at that point when the service manager told me that they have many waverunners come in with issues that are caused by poor battery connections.

I hope this helps.