• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 Dog Ramp / Steps

Paul Paulo Pablo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking into the Paws Aboard dog ramp for my boat, and actually have a friend that sells them. When her husband looked at the ladder of the 2017 AR190 I got, he said that it may not attach properly. Apparently he had the same problem with his Cobalt and so they can't use one on their boat either.

Has anyone had experience with the Paws Aboard ramp, or any others, with the AR or SX190? I'd love to hear your experiences and advice.

For reference, my dog is a 75 pound goldendoodle. Still trying to figure out how we're going to keep her in the boat when we don't want her to swim!

Thanks!!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will need a better solution to this myself. Last season I just put a life jacket on my golden and used the lifting straps on the back to haul him in, but he was less than a year old and under 40lbs then. If I happen to find myself with some free time this summer I may toy with some ideas to fasten a couple of side-joined 1x6's to the lader and then a hinged support. I'm thinking a few mini straps (minerallac strap for those unfamiliar with electrical jargon) could be used to fasten to the ladder at a couple points and would allow for fairly easy install/removal. The bottom may need a weight to prevent from floating though. It shouldn't cost more than $30 to build. Way better that $200+ as long as you don't mind looking a little redneck, but lets face it, I'm really not that classy anyway.

Something like this:

Dog boarding ladder.jpg

Paul Paulo Pablo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
D_coyne I'll definitely consider building one if I have to, but I'm hoping that I can buy something that'll get the job done reliably.

Anyone have a system that works with Yamaha?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I were going to build one I'd likely try thick heavy duty marine styrofoam carved out to notch into the swim platform, some textile carpet for traction and protection for the dog and ropes or turnbuckles for securing to the swim platform. Weighted on the ends if needed. Quality styrofoam is easy to carve and work into great shapes.

The net type ramps I've seen just don't seem to offer the support and stability needed for big dogs and the Paws Aboard style seems like a child's playground ladder attached to your existing ladder which looks like it would be a challenge for dogs to get traction when wet.

I'm not sure if it's doable on the 19' boats but you could maybe buy a secondary Westline ladder and convert it to be your dedicated dog ladder with a few mods. Similar to this guys pontoon....

Attachments

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

OptiLee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jared24 I'm thinking about getting one of these now based on your recommendation. Does it sit in the water? My dogs wear life jackets but is it at a level they could swim up to and climb on? They're smaller than yours - about 45lbs each but we're looking for something a bit easier on the back because the LOVE jumping in, getting out, repeat. Any info would be great, thanks!

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jared24 I'm thinking about getting one of these now based on your recommendation. Does it sit in the water? My dogs wear life jackets but is it at a level they could swim up to and climb on? They're smaller than yours - about 45lbs each but we're looking for something a bit easier on the back because the LOVE jumping in, getting out, repeat. Any info would be great, thanks!
The platform will be around a foot under water if you attach it to the top step of the ladder. It's perfect for them to swim right on, then jump to the lower swim deck. You'll love it. Also makes a nice spot to sit for humans in between dog fetches.

OptiLee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great, thanks for the reply @jared24 I'm going to get myself one. I think my dogs will be able to really utilize it! Did you get yours from overtons?

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great, thanks for the reply @jared24 I'm going to get myself one. I think my dogs will be able to really utilize it! Did you get yours from overtons?
Yes Sir! They have some promo codes usually around the holidays. BTW, it doesn't make the ladder unusable for humans as stated above, if anything, it makes it easier as it's a much bigger platform to step up to the swim deck from. I'm sure there's a weight limit posted for it, but I've had some "beefy" friends use it with no problems...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BTW, it doesn't make the ladder unusable for humans as stated above, if anything, it makes it easier as it's a much bigger platform to step up to the swim deck from. I'm sure there's a weight limit posted for it, but I've had some "beefy" friends use it with no problems...
Good to know, watched a few videos on youtube of it and it seemed like it'd be a PITA to use.

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to know, watched a few videos on youtube of it and it seemed like it'd be a PITA to use.
It's not that bad. It fits flat in the rear compartment so you can store stuff on top of it. If we're going to being anchoring a lot, I usually just keep it out under the port side bench (AR version) for easy access. My lab goes crazy when I grab it cause he knows it go time...

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
We use “ dog on water ramp”. Love it. You inflate the blue tubes and there is a thick net in the middle that the dog is able to swim into and walk up right onto the swim platform. It is very sturdy. Leaves ladder open. And once deflated is not a space killer.

D27F82C7-57BC-483E-BC1A-0C745E7F1222.jpeg 82555F64-A407-48B2-BB42-1F533D68BB67.jpeg

JDFester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any newer products out there? Looks like most of these are not on the market anymore. I have found one load-a-pup, but wondered if there are any fresh products? My dog jumped in (a little unexpectedly) and swam around a while. The look on his face when he realized he didn't have a way back in the boat was pretty funny! Turns out he was able to climb the boarding ladder, though I am sure it wasn't fun and that ability will likely fade as he gets a little older...

Oh, and I wonder if there'd be a market for Jetboaters.net logo doggie life jackets? Joey loves jet boating!!!IMG_9224.JPG

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you're into rednecking it, I saw this on FB. I plan to make one, dont really want a contraption that'll make the ladder unusable for people swimming with the pups.
Yamaha Boat Owners
@seanmclean Did you ever get around to making one of these?? I’m thinking about it, but just wondering about folding it in half. I need to stow it in the ski locker, obviously, but I also need to fill up that ballast tank.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@seanmclean Did you ever get around to making one of these?? I’m thinking about it, but just wondering about folding it in half. I need to stow it in the ski locker, obviously, but I also need to fill up that ballast tank.
Nah, never did. I just make him wear a lifejacket when in deep water (not at beach/sandbar), and just the handle to lift him back in the boat. I still kind of want to, but looks like it'll take up a bunch of space.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know my boy has been kicking my ass getting him on and off the boat. Once in the water he is happy as can be. It is the getting him off and on. Some claw marks in my swim platform Sea-Dek. He is a 95 pound Chocolate Lab / Pointer mix and he wears his life jacket, but he fights me on and off the boat. Have been using a boogie board to help ease the transition but it isn't working haha20200417_134920.jpg