• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 Factory Depth Finder

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The owners manual for the AR190 includes instructions for the AR195 with a built-in depth finder. As the instrument cluster and electronics are the same, this leaves me to wonder if it’s possible to install the factory depth finder for the AR195 on the AR190. Or is aftermarket the only option? I haven’t been able to find a kit from Yamaha....

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I started thinking about this, then realized I have no idea where the transducer is on my boat. I'm guessing it is part of the paddle wheel assembly, but not sure. I have a feeling you would need to probably hack the software on the boat to activate that feature so it's probably not just a plug an play deal. Parts wise, I am sure you can order a replacement part for the transducer from the 195 and swap it with yours, but they probably don't advertise it as a kit because they would much rather sell you a more expensive boat. Yamaha's legal department would probably never allow them to sell a kit that trusted the average boat owner to mess with thru-hull fittings and the electrical on their boat. I wonder if Yamaha made it as easy as using snap fittings to plug it in or if it would taking tapping into a wire harness to connect it.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For construction simplicity Yamaha may have even used the same parts on both boats so it could be all that needs to be done is just figuring out how to activate the feature in the software.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The transducer is located in the bilge below the cleanout tray. It's on the starboard side of the boat. You do not remove the thru hull fittings or any of that. Just the housing/guts of the transducer is swapped over. Remember that when you buy these boats you get a black plug in a bag. This plug is for people up north who like to take out their transducer where it may freeze in the winter and replace it with the the plug. Yamaha has no issue with you doing this.

Upgrading to the 192/195 depth+temp transducer I believe is a simple plug and play type deal based on this thread 192 transducer in a 2014 190...who has done it? (see @B_Mutter 's post). @ken4motion did it and posted the links.

Last edited:

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome; that’s what I was looking for, price estimate to boot! I guess the next question is...if it can be done, should it be done? Or just go aftermarket and get more features. Hmmm.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I guess if all you need is depth and not a gps it would be close to a wash with the price at yamaha sports plaza, but I bought and installed a Garmin Echomap for under $250, install took about 1.5 hrs taking my time, routed the transducer out of the drain hole, so not additional holes in the hull, mounted it with 2 screws to the base plate on the starboard side. It works flawlessly I get GPS with marine charts, depth, water temp, never loses the bottom at speed. If the tranducer is a simple plug and play the biggest PIA is removing the cleanout tray and having to reseal it. I would assume the software would pick up the new connection and you would be good. Good luck would be curious to see how it goes.

Last edited:

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In trying to weigh my options, I’m a little confused. When I look for Lowrance or Garmin I’m finding mostly fish finders. Lowrance has a depth finder with a simple digital gauge, but none of the fish finders advertise as doubling as depth finders (i.e. something for safety which alarms when going too shallow). Is depth function just implied when shopping for fish finders?

Also, some transducers seem to be through hull (literally mounting across the hull with a hole), while people also talk about through hull ones (that mount inside the boat and transmit the signal though the hull). The term seems to mean two different things...

I don’t really need a fish finder as I doubt I’ll be doing much fishing, but I’m a fan of cool gadgets so I’m open to multifunction options. $380 just to add depth and water temp when you can get a color screen with sonar and GPS seems like a no-brainer. If, it works well as a depth finder too.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Garmin Echomap 44cv here is the GPS/Fishfinder I have. We primarily run a split screen with the map on top and the fishfinder/bottom reader on the bottom screen. My thinking here is I want to be able to look at my navigation and see what the bottom is doing to make sure the GPS jives with the chart and if there is any surprises in a bottom coming up rapidly that shouldn't be. You can simply run just the chart and not concern yourself with the fishfinder/bottom. With the right maps installed the GPS can give you lots of data, which if you are in a new spot or new river, lake, or bay can be a big comfort. There is a great install video of a transducer used through the hull here Garmin GPS install, I chose not to bed the transducer down, instead I just ran the cable through the drain on the starboard side of the nozzle and have had no issues to date.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shew buddy......$385 for the transducer is spendy. I was all for it until I saw the price.

Have a trip planned in the near future that has us routed through some really "skinny" water. Not sure on the exact depth, but I'm told the I/O guys can't quite trim up far enough to make it through at idle speed.

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Echomap-Chirp-transducer-010-01797-01/dp/B01MA58CSP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530279898&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+44cv+echomap here is the GPS/Fishfinder I have. We primarily run a split screen with the map on top and the fishfinder/bottom reader on the bottom screen. My thinking here is I want to be able to look at my navigation and see what the bottom is doing to make sure the GPS jives with the chart and if there is any surprises in a bottom coming up rapidly that shouldn't be. You can simply run just the chart and not concern yourself with the fishfinder/bottom. With the right maps installed the GPS can give you lots of data, which if you are in a new spot or new river, lake, or bay can be a big comfort. There is a great install video of a transducer used through the hull here https://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62633&hilit=gps+install+garmin, I chose not to bed the transducer down, instead I just ran the cable through the drain on the starboard side of the nozzle and have had no issues to date.
The 44cv appears to come with a transom mount transducer; it’s not clear to me what the Lawrence is but I’ll guess the same. So you both mounted it in-hull instead without issues? What do you mean you didn’t bed it down....no epoxy?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No I have my transducer mounted outside the hull on the ride plate here's a couple pics of the setup. I have read that some people have great luck with the SIMRAD 5 and the lowrance models.

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you're looking for true depth accuracy don't waste your time buying the stock 192/195 transducer. It's a ballpark depth estimator and not to be used as a definitive measurement because I can't tell you it's certainly not accurate :D. Don't get me wrong it's perfectly adequate for its use but not be taken as absolute. I use mine every time I go out but I also understand to use it as a ballpark measurement and not something a higher end transducer and depth finder display could replicate.

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I have my transducer mounted outside the hull on the ride plate here's a couple pics of the setup. I have read that some people have great luck with the SIMRAD 5 and the lowrance models.
Thank for the pics, that really helps! I do think an external mount would be easiest and without risking getting it epoxy’d down in-hull just to find out it doesn’t work that well but is never coming out. Mount it where it’s designed to work and be done with it (and get water temp). However, I did read one post stating his transom mount dropped out at speed and then someone linked from the garmin site stating transom mount transducers don’t work with in-board style engines. Run into that problem at all? Not that you should be flying along at 40mph when concerned about the depth...

I was previously thinking these units could suction or sticky mount to the console but it looks like these are all permanently mounted with holes in the dash; that’s a little scary! What if you decide to go with a better unit/different brand later or it breaks and is no longer manufactured in the future?! More holes... Or is the mounting base some kind of universal standard size/screw configuration?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The folks that have used the shoot-thru transducers (mounted with epoxy inside) haven't had issues that I'm aware of. I was planning to get one of those if I ever splurged on a chart plotter/fish finder. See this thread installing a Lowarence Elite 5 on a FSH

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yeah that was my thinking when trying to decide on where to mount the transducer epoxy vs. external mount, however I have read you can test it by submerging the transducer in a plastic food container down in the lower hull where you would place it to try it out. As far as readings I use it constantly while running and have not experienced any missed readings in a consistent manner. I did find that when I started missing readings I moved the mount up as far up as it would go and haven't had a problem since. I think the guys that used the epoxy have a fair amount of drop offs at speed, also one advantage with the external mount is water temp reading is a true reading not one thru the hull. Mounting the head unit was the scariest to me because I did drill a 3/4 inch hole in the dash, but i figured if I need to replace the unit I would have to mount it there again using the same hole to run the cables and the Garmin mount is not big at the bottom. I have read that RAM mounts (suction) are a great alternative to drilling, if I would have come across that info when I was installing I would have at least given it a try first...:(

jwhite28

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FLBulldogger Do you get any interference with it being mounted almost directly behind the jet intake? Thanks in advance

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@jwhite28 No, did not get any interference the transducer is out of turbulence for the most part, rarely lost the bottom even at WOT. Even used it to fish a couple of times and it was right on the money.

jwhite28

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FLBulldogger Thanks!! May try this. Unfortunately they did away with that drain port for 2019 so I just have to figure out how I'm going to run the wire through.