• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did anybody attempted to remove fuel pump from fuel tank and clean fuel filter? Is is complicated procedure and is it really necessary every 100hr? Looking for some tips on how to remove fuel hose, fule pump, clean fuel filter and reinstall fuel pump with hose. Looks like lots of plastic parts that can break easily. I already purchased a new seal pack. Thanks!

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fuel filter is on the inside of the pump (This was on a 2016 AR192).

Unfortunately the fuel pump is not designed to be taken apart. You are 100% correct on the plastic parts thing that are difficult to manipulate.

I ended up having to buy a new fuel pump as the fuel pump relay would keep blowing after I took it apart and put back together :-(

If you would like to clean the fuel filter I'd recommend the following:

- Get a bucket and put an inch or two of some seafoam in it
- Remove the entire fuel pump assembly and place in the seafoam
- Swish the fuel pump around a bit and then let it the pump sit in the seafoam for 10 minutes or so
- Dump the seafoam and replace the fresh seafoam.

Repeat until fuel filter looks cleaner.

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replay, that fuel pump is and expensive part to buy. I'm surprised we don't have more posts about cleaning fuel filter. I was thinking it's either super easy to do or nobody is doing it even though it's recommended every 100hr. Lately my engine has hard time starting up in the morning. It turns over right away runs for a second or two and it stalls. Need to crank it exactly three times to get it running. After that it runs ok all day and starts right up. I admit that I didn't replace the spark plugs at the beginning of the season so that could be a part of the problem.

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The lack of a specific procedure in the Yamaha service manual for actually cleaning it and there also not being a way to effectively clean it without taking the thing apart which you aren't supposed to do makes me think cleaning it is not actually really needed.

Consistently throwing Seafoam in should avoid the need in general, hopefully.

For what it is worth, this is the before/after from mine when I took apart the pump completely (which you should not do from my experience)

Before:
20210701_133940.jpg
20210701_133935.jpg

After:

20210701_135520.jpg
20210701_135524.jpg

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Wish there was a water separator in there somewhere....

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The lack of a specific procedure in the Yamaha service manual for actually cleaning it and there also not being a way to effectively clean it without taking the thing apart which you aren't supposed to do makes me think cleaning it is not actually really needed.

Consistently throwing Seafoam in should avoid the need in general, hopefully.

For what it is worth, this is the before/after from mine when I took apart the pump completely (which you should not do from my experience)

Before:
View attachment 166104
View attachment 166105

After:

View attachment 166102
View attachment 166103
So u remove the whole part and let soak in seafoam??? Was there a change in how it ran or started?

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my case problem was the fuel. I filled up at valvtect dock. I also got 5 gallons for my 5hp Outboard and than my outboard had hard time starting. I drained the gas from it and it was red in color. I filled my boat at regular gas station and it was starting every time this summer.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my case problem was the fuel. I filled up at valvtect dock. I also got 5 gallons for my 5hp Outboard and than my outboard had hard time starting. I drained the gas from it and it was red in color. I filled my boat at regular gas station and it was starting every time this summer.
That's crazy.