• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 supercharger kit??? Do they make one??

Mk1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First I know, should have bought an AR195..
It was slim picking so I got a 2021 AR190.
Now aside from the simple mods I was looking for a supercharger or turbo kit. What's on the market?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not really worth doing without pump upgrades as you wouldn’t be able to utilize the power. That’s why the 195 has a bigger pump.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe it's just me, but the 1.8L Yamaha engine reminds me alot of the Honda engines we ran in the 90s and earlier 2000s. I'm sure someone could build you a setup for the right $. 😃

Wonder how much boost the stock internals could handle.

My other boat is a 16ft tiller fishing boat with a 40 hp Mercury. I guess it's sad but we were happy to get into a boat that hits 40, feels fast to us.

Mk1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe it's just me, but the 1.8L Yamaha engine reminds me alot of the Honda engines we ran in the 90s and earlier 2000s. I'm sure someone could build you a setup for the right $. 😃

Wonder how much boost the stock internals could handle.

My other boat is a 16ft tiller fishing boat with a 40 hp Mercury. I guess it's sad but we were happy to get into a boat that hits 40, feels fast to us.
I built a turbo Honda years ago! They seem very similar. A turbo kit would not be that hard to do, but you bring up a good point. How strong is the stock bottom end! I'm only looking for 75 to 100hp!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suspect that the supercharger from a 195 would bolt right on. The blockoff plate on the front of the 190 engine bears witness to where the 195's supercharger lives, and I would wager the supercharger drive gear is already in place. Would make a LOT of sense from a manufacturing and parts duplication perspective. I would not be surprised if the rods/pistons/rings/crank are the same between the two as well. Would just take some time digging through parts diagrams to figure it out.

Fueling would be an issue to overcome. A simple rising rate FPR might get you there, hard to say. No idea on the size of injector in there, or how to control them without going to a standalone ECM. Going to be hard to get good O2 and EGT temps in a marine application as well to do any kind of fuel tuning. Timing tuning shouldn't be difficult, assuming there is a knock sensor already in place, although I'm unsure if there is or not.

Biggest issue is going to be traction. Stock 1.8L can already cavitate the pump pretty easily. Going to be a good deal of work to tweak the pitch on a stock impeller to get traction at higher power levels.

Lots and lots of time and effort to make that happen. Sounds like a complete blast of a good time if you're into that sort of thing. If I had some spare cash and some spare time sitting around I would LOVE to see what we could get out of a stock 1.8L/155mm pump configuration in a relatively inexpensive SX180.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Coming from a number of Yamaha powersports, jet engines are the worst bang-for-your-buck investments for performance. As sled, sxs, bike can put power down with simple upgrades to the power train.

But spend any time reading on Green Hulk, and you will quickly see that these guys spend thousands and thousands just to get tons of extra horsepower in these engines with minimal speed improvements. My guess is some quality reading will dissuade you from going down that very expensive rabbit hole.

Especially when so many folks come to realize after owning for a season or two that most of their running is not at WOT, and they would rather have more low end grunt to handle a larger load of friends, rather than more top end for 1-2 people. Thus the whole reason Yamaha went with dual engine configurations for every other size boat.

Otherwise, good luck, and document it. As everyone here loves to watch how each other blows our cash. That will never get old.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Otherwise, good luck, and document it. As everyone here loves to watch how each other blows our cash. That will never get old.
No doubt. I would LOVE to see someone do this. Hell I would love to be the one to do this.

I used to spend days and days on end working on cars. Thousands and Thousands of dollars on things that might or might not make it any faster. I loved it. Still do. Just ran out of time and budget, and when I'm talking about working on the thing that is supposed to be my vacation time, I have little patience for down time :D

Mk1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main thing holding me back from starting this project is I can't find any information on the AR190's bottom end. Does anyone have any input on these engines? I know for example a stock Honda 4 cyl will handle about 10psi assuming fuel and tune is right. I need some input before I go off the deep end.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The main thing holding me back from starting this project is I can't find any information on the AR190's bottom end. Does anyone have any input on these engines? I know for example a stock Honda 4 cyl will handle about 10psi assuming fuel and tune is right. I need some input before I go off the deep end.
greenhulk

Look no further, there have been plenty working on the 1.8ltr engines of all flavors. Never mind if they are in a boat or PWC. Other than the fact that it will be very obvious, that if you do not address the size of the pump, you will be throwing money, literally away. But please don't listen to me, all I know is what I read, and sometimes I wonder if I truly had illiterate.

But the guys on Greenhulk will share some amazing experience tuning and upgrading the pump on the 1.8ltr yamaha engines.

Mk1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I'll make some calls and see what I can find out.
I'll update the tread as I go!

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
A few of the other members already touched on this, but the biggest problem is that you would have to upgrade your jet pump to a 160mm pump. It’s pretty much the same thing as if you threw a supercharger on a car, but didn’t upgrade the tires and drivetrain to handle the additional power. Good luck with your new boat!!

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thinking about the time, effort, cost and repetitive complications....you could just drop in a new supercharged engine and equipment creating a 195 yourself?

Mk1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought about it, but I'm not sure what donor ski to look for. It would be a complete swap.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I think you would need it out of a donor boat because the jet pump nozzle on the WaveRunner is slightly different and isn‘t compatible unless you modify it.