• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 top speed question

Frank3190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a new Yamaha boat owner about 2 months ago I purchased a 2018 AR190 I have taken the boat out three times and the last couple of times I noticed that the boat tops out between 34-36 mph. I have read that some people are getting 40+.... Is there something wrong with the boat I purchased? Is there something I should look at? Last weekend I could not keep up with my brother in law's 242 I was really bummed out about purchasing the wrong boat. Any help will be gladly appreciate

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Lots of factors go into top speed, load (to include where the load is placed, someone sitting in the front of the boat can bleed off a mph or 2, sea state, temp/humidity, altitude, etc. Most of the time its just the two of us on our SX190 (same NA engine) and if its smooth enough to WOT the top end for is around 36 to near 40 mph (depending if I'm looking at the speedometer or the GPS) out on Tampa Bay or the Manatee River. I have had her up to 43 (GPS) mph during a cool less humid day back during the cooler months of Jan/Feb. As far as being able to keep up with a 242 he has twice the horsepower and is only about 1500 lbs heavier (dry) so he might have an advantage, I'm sure some of the SC'd AR's can go faster than the 240's but not sure our NA 190's can. You've got a great boat, enjoy and I'm sure some of the go-faster's on here can give you some tweaks and maybe some mods to help with some speed, just don't think much over 40 mph is attainable. :(

Frank3190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the response and the comforting words about purchasing the right boat, I use the boat in Arizona so it's pretty hot the times that I've been out it gets to around 117 I'm sure this place a factor or at least that's what I keep reading the gold it's only loaded with my wife my 14 year old daughter and myself. Just want to make sure I'm not expecting too much from this and if there is anything that can be done to get a little more power will be great

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You guys will love the boat the more your out and about and get used to the handling and developing a routine. Without any mods I would say try to get your wife and daugther in the aft seating and see if that makes a bit of a difference. If you are near Havasu then altitude (I know its not that high but we are AT sea level and the 700' there is high to us)and the heat would seem to me be a major factor. We enjoy the ride at about 6500 rpms or 30 mph, we can talk to each other without shouting and the ride is better, especially if there is any chop at all.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ribbon delete, Lucky 13 Cone (with all spacers), and a sealed jet pump intake. $300-ish total investment and an afternoon worth of work. The rest of the boat is bone stock.

With the bimini deployed, 4 adults and 3 kids I hit 41mph on GPS. We're at about 560ft elevation, and it was in the mid 90's with 90% humidity (density altitude was BAD that day). We usually cruise around 6200rpm and 30-32mph. We're happy with that. I only ever care how fast I'm going when I'm trying to outrun someone, or otherwise race. The rest of the time it's plenty of power.

You didn't buy the wrong boat, it will serve your family well. Just don't take it drag racing :D :D

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the boat in Arizona so it's pretty hot the times that I've been out it gets to around 117
In those temps (!) and at altitude (many lakes there are above 2,000ft) 35mph in a single N/A seems to be right on!

--

Last edited:

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In those temps (!) and at altitude (many lakes there are above 22,000ft) 35mph in a single N/A seems to be right on!

--
I'm certain you typed an extra 2 (2,000ft).

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a stock 2014 SX190 and normally we max out about 43/44mph per the guage. My teenager and I hit 46 mph a couple weeks ago and that's the fastest i have ever noticed. Half tank of gas, no wind, lake was glass. However, my wife and daughter went out by themselves a couple weekends ago and i guess they figured out the 'TURBO" button because this past weekend when i was in the boat thumbing through the gauges, i found the top speed recorded at 96mph... she must be a heck of better boat captain than i am!? LOL seriously tho... i have no idea why or how the speedo recorded 96 mph.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a stock 2014 SX190 and normally we max out about 43/44mph per the guage. My teenager and I hit 46 mph a couple weeks ago and that's the fastest i have ever noticed. Half tank of gas, no wind, lake was glass. However, my wife and daughter went out by themselves a couple weekends ago and i guess they figured out the 'TURBO" button because this past weekend when i was in the boat thumbing through the gauges, i found the top speed recorded at 96mph... she must be a heck of better boat captain than i am!? LOL seriously tho... i have no idea why or how the speedo recorded 96 mph.
Sounds right on! Factory speedos (paddle wheel, not GPS) are notoriously optimistic, so GPS speeds tend to be a little lower.

--

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a SX 190 with ribbon delete. I do most of my boating on Lake Havasu (735' elevation) so I'm probably operating in a similar environment to yours. Top speed I've clocked is 46 mph (GPS) with 2 SOB, no wind, glass surface. I wouldn't worry about top speed so much as I would the boat's overall performance doing the things you demand from it on the water. In other words, if the boat does everything you want it to do, sit back and enjoy! Forget the top speed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a new Yamaha boat owner about 2 months ago I purchased a 2018 AR190 I have taken the boat out three times and the last couple of times I noticed that the boat tops out between 34-36 mph. I have read that some people are getting 40+.... Is there something wrong with the boat I purchased? Is there something I should look at? Last weekend I could not keep up with my brother in law's 242 I was really bummed out about purchasing the wrong boat. Any help will be gladly appreciate
Do you wet slip by any chance? Just another thing to keep in mind. Any growth/dirt on the hull will effect/reduce your top speed dramatically.

--

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My best top speed was 44 or 45 in our sx190 when the bottom was clean. With a dirty hull from sitting in a wet slip the top speed drops to mid 30s. I would suggest putting a nice wax on the hull. Also, some Yamaha engines are CA/CARB compliant or something and have less HP which may impact top speed. I think CARB engines put out 166 hp vs non CARB @177.

Frank3190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not leave the boat in the water as I mentioned before it is only a couple of months old. Ive only had it in the water 4 times. How would I know if there is an issue with pump or jet? Last time we were out my wife had the boat running on pretty shallow water. I also heard engines don't get the real speed until after the break in period has anyone heard of that?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also heard engines don't get the real speed until after the break in period has anyone heard of that?
That is the case with new BRP boats, Yamahas are not restricted for break in.

The easiest way to check the impeller, at least initially, is to stick a phone/camera inside the cleanout tube and take some pics, then take some from the other side - through the intake. Also, inspect sealant inside the intake tunnel - any gaps can let air to be sucked in causing "cavitation" or "ventilation".
The best way is to pull the pump off, it is not difficult and there are DIY instructions in FAQ pages. That way you can actually see and inspect the impeller and the whole tunnel up close.

--

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have you ever checked the top speed before? There are threads about brand new boats from the factory having erroneous speeds like this recorded somehow.

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

akatrauma

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a stock 2018 AR190 that I have owned for three months. My top speed has only been around 37-38mph, that was until last night, the conditions were really good and I hit 42mph. I also think it's getting a little faster as it breaks in.

Christopher M VIllier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2018 AR190 and it runs at a max RPM OF 7600 (is that the stock limit) at 36/38 mph. If that's max RPM then a repitch could be on it's way, any suggestions?