• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 - Magma Kettle 2 Grill Install

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today in this installment of "Making your boat YOURS", we will be installing a nifty mount and grill combination. (I'm only using Amazon because of convenience. Most times, when you factor in shipping from other vendors and that as a prime member I get it in 2 days....it's typically better. YMMV)

Items you will need:

1 - Magma Kettle 2 Grill (Kettle 2 has a better burner system to eliminate blow out and a HINGED lid)
http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Marine-Kettle-Combination-Original/dp/B0018Y6SYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434652132&sr=8-1&keywords=magma+marine+kettle+2

1 - Scotty Flush Deck Mount (BLACK..looks better and should hold out against UV better than white)
http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Flush-Deck-Mount-Rain/dp/B001M4HT34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434652020&sr=8-2&keywords=scotty+flush+mount+rod+holder

1 - Magma Scotty Socket Fish Rod Holder Mount
http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Scotty-Socket-Fish-Rod-Holder/dp/B0018Y6SXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434652462&sr=8-1&keywords=A10-165

1 - 1 3/8" Drill Bit (I used the below because it won't splinter and it drills flat bottom holes. I paid like $18 at Home Depot..but if you're ording online..might as well save a few bucks :) )
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FB-010-8-Inch-Shank-Forstner/dp/B00004RK4W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434652590&sr=8-3&keywords=1+3/8+drill+bit

1 - 3M 4200 Sealant:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-05260/dp/B0000AY6B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434652880&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+4200

4 - Stainless 1" Pan Head Screws

1 - Measuring Tape

1 - Level

1 - Sharpie Marker

Allrighty, another dent in the credit card, here we go!:

Place the Scotty flush mount and determine your location of choice. Here's mine:

IMG_0984.JPG
Trace the large center portion of the mount onto your vessel's surface (mine was the seadek. I've been asked if I should have cut the seadek around the whole mount. I say no..I like the way it looks on TOP of the seadek..Professional.

The deck in that corner is about 1.5 " thick, so you'll be drilling all the way through for the mount. I would drill about 3/4", stop..vacuum out wood/fiberglass shavings. I stopped many times to vacuum...that way when you punch through..all of that is not down in your bilge.

IMG_0991.JPG

Use a level to keep your drill aligned perpendicular to the surface of the deck. If not, your mount will not fit in squarely. If you mess up, you can always drill/file the area until the mount fits properly.

IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG

You'll notice after you're done..there is some EXPOSED wood now. You have a couple of options. get some polyurethane from local hardware store. Coat exposed areas and come back tomorrow. I just coated the wood with 3m 4200..using my fingers to push it in all the crevices. Then I put a nice ring of 4200 near the top to seal around the mount after inserted.

IMG_0993.JPG
Now, just assemble your grill and rod mount arm to bottom of grill and you're done!

IMG_0994.JPG

After doing this install and thinking I will be fishing with the son at some time. I'm going to do the other side and order two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Baitcaster-Spinning-Holder-without/dp/B004O0DR48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434671902&sr=8-2&keywords=scotty+rod+holder

This way the mounts will double as fishing rod holders!

If your doing this job with the same intent (part-time fishing)...you can get the mount & holder as a package:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Baitcaster-Spinning-Holder-Black/dp/B001M4HT66/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434671902&sr=8-3&keywords=scotty+rod+holder

Hope you found this installment helpful!

Happy grilling!

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
VERY nice writeup! Excellent job!

Your install looks great. Now, time to go grill.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice!

I was going to suggest a JetBoaters.net koozie to go with that, but I don't see them in the swag forum anymore.....

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Very nice @ArmyChief! I have been devising a similar plan. My brother-in-law gave me that same grill because he never used it....I just need to make a final decision on which mount I will use and order it.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice install! The original owner put mine up by the anchor locker. Not a bad spot, but sometimes I wish could be standing in the water while I grill.

image.jpg

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice job Doug! Now quit spending so much money and go enjoy it![flag]

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great job! I can smell those dogs cooking.

Sealing up that plywood is key in this install. I recommend sealing it with some epoxy resin. 5200 and polyurethane only prevent water from leaching in for so long before it fails or loosens.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome looking install!

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks great!!!

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, can't wait to do the other side and put some rod holders in them too!

eggwhite93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Great Mod! I'm putting it on my list!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice looking install. Love the finish and how the mount matches the Seadek...

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That does look awesome, and I am thinking of taking your idea....question is Whats the big difference between your idea and just using the table mount already on the rear of our boats ? Does your boat have the rear mount?